Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop orders??

JMusic27

Hello all.....I'm brand new to the site, so excuse me if this question has been discussed. (I did search the topic but nothing relevant came up)...

Anyway- is the Gibson Custom shop open to individual guitar customization? In other words, can I order, for example, an ES-339, BUT with gold hardware, a factory Bigsby, and a Translucent Brown finish (the finish you see on the ES-345)?

If so, perhaps I have to do this through an authorized dealer?

I'm guessing that you CANNOT do this..... if this were possible, Gibson would probably be back-logged with "one-off" orders for the next 10 years........but I just wanted to ask, in case.

P.S.- If we CAN do this.......I'm ordering the above described "fantasy Gibson" by the end of the day!!

The Gibson Custom Shop will give quotes to have one-off instruments. What you would need to do, is to take the specs you want to your nearest dealer who is authorized to order and carry Gibson Custom Shop instruments. Your dealer would submit your request for a quote to the Custom Shop quote team. Once our quote team has worked up a quote, they would send that information to your dealer. When your dealer gives you the quote, you can decide if you want to move ahead with the custom order. I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I had the Custom shop make a single pick up ES 175. It took about 4 months from order placement with my local Gibson dealer to having it in my little hands. Outcome was great. Love the guitar. Plays great.

Yikes! Forgot to mention what they said--- sorry!

They DO take one-off orders....and the lead time is approximately (up to) 3 months....for the quote. I think it is a bit subjective, though, because it probably has as bit to do with your local dealer, and how long it takes them to work out a sale price. AClayton's post sounds positive....only 4 months from start to finish....sounds worth it to me!

In most all cases it is more economical to buy an off-the-shelf product and have it "personalized" locally by an independent craftsman.

Yes' date=' but it's more complicated than that.

According to Gibson customer service, the "personalization" may invalidate key parts of the lifetime gold CS warranty -- even when the "repair" work is done by Gibson themselves (let alone an "independent craftsman").

So a one-off custom shop order may be the only way to, for example, get a specific custom shop semi-hollowbody guitar with a Nashville bridge instead of an ABR-1 while still retaining the lifetime warranty.

John

In most all cases it is more economical to buy an off-the-shelf product and have it "personalized" locally by an independent craftsman.

I sort of agree with L5Larry's comment but sometimes it's just not possible to have what you want personalized locally. In my case I wanted a single pickup ES 175. Gibson don't make these any more. I know they made them in the '50's and I have been looking to buy one second hand but after 18 months of looking I have more or less given up. Also vintage ES 175SP's seem to be very pricey for a good one.

Further it's not easy dealing with stores that sell vintage guitars. They are always telling you about the guitar that they have just sold and you just missed. The other thing that seems to happen is that when you put your name down they always seem to forget to contact you when the guitar that you want arrives. Having said this when you place a Custom shop order you lose your ability to negotiate a good price. You seem to pay list price which currently is a bit more than you would normally pay for an 'off the shelf' guitar.

Overall I am so pleased with the quality of my 'one-off' Custom shop order that my next guitar will also be one. My ES 175SP is a real beauty and you can see the evidence in the quality of the Custom Shop's workmanship. The neck, finish and sound quality of my guitar is extraordinary and worth the extra dollars.

For my next medium term project I want another Custom shop order - a L5 Thin-line like Danny W owns!!! I can't wait.

• 11 years later...
On 7/15/2021 at 8:55 AM, Larsongs said:

I know this Thead is 11 years old….. Ok… Does the new Gibson/Epiphone Nashville & Bozeman USA still have Custom Shops that will build one off Custom Guitars?

You want to ask a local dealer about a Made 2 Measure order.

I don't know if they will do an Epiphone-branded guitar, but I'm curious.

• 6 months later...

I don't know if you could consider my M2M order for a Les Paul Axcess Bengal Burst a one off order. Last February I ordered that guitar to be made with specific tuners and the Cherry back and neck. I did not want the Black back and neck and Gibson had been using several tuner styles. I specified the Cherry and Grover Keystone tuners. I got the guitar in November. 

iRhr7AT.jpg

y8Pv9A8.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone. I'm completely new to the Gibson Custom Shop.

I'm interested in placing my very first M2M custom order through the Custom Shop. So I was hoping if I could get some advice from any experts here.

I've been in contact with two dealers: The Music Zoo on Long Island, and the Gibson Garage in Nashville.

I called someone over at The Music Zoo, but they aren't allowing any shoppers inside the store. I visited the Gibson Garage over the Memorial Day weekend, and one of the sales associates there give me his business card.

How do I go about submitting my custom order?

The Gibson Garage has yet to respond to my emails.

Can you guys tell me what I need to do to send in my M2M custom order?

You could contact Dave at Dave's Guitars in Lacrosse, WI. I went through him to order my M2M. You can call or email (I emailed) and let him know what you want. He will give you a quote and get the ball rolling for your Dream Guitar. Then the payments can be arranged and the guitar shipped directly to you. Dave has three stores with the main one in Lacrosse and the other two in Milwaukee and Madison, WI. My guitar was shipped to Milwaukee, closest store to me. It will take some time to get it, though. Expect a year or more as production has been slow with covid and supply chain issues. Dave is Great and he will treat you right.