Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson.com's Top 50 Guitarist of All Time

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

Actually... No' date=' it appears the poll - and frankly to me as well - that no, bass players aren't guitarists any more than they are violinists if they play a fretless.

Now...

Poll weakness: It leaves out some of the top jazz guitarists that were incredibly astute musicians. Some in sessions helped create "rock" sounds but are virtually unknown in that role.

[/quote']

Jaco Pastorius called frets "speed bumps!"

No Pat Metheny, Kenny Burrell, or Al Dimeola.

Pete Townsend is way overrated...

Poll is a joke...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so many people hating on Prince. Whether or not you like his music' date=' he is definitely a great guitarist, and song writer for that matter.[/quote']

+1 but i wouldn't rate him above rory or richie, but as it's been said...these polls can be taken with a pinch of salt

The Edge and Slash better than Frank Zappa and Gilmour?

Don't think so.

The Edge is better than anyone? Ok, maybe Green Day guy and Madonna but he is not a guitarist. Yes, he holds a guitar on stage and mabye can play a few notes, but he does not belong in this list. What are you gonna do?

I'm never submitting my vote to anymore of these polls.

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

FYI - probably the biggest glaring oversights/shortsights/criticisms/etc. we've heard from people regarding this Top 50 list centers around two people...the first being Prince, who many believed placed too high, and Duane Allman, who most believed should have been much higher (#1 in the readers poll).

Yes, their have been countless "what about this guitarist?!!" comments, but Prince and Duane Allman have easily generated the most heat (with honorable mentions going to the "why is Kurt Cobain on this list?" contingent).

Dear Mr. Gibson Lifestyle...

Are we "regulars" in the Lounge all that far off by suggesting it's a popularity contest more than a matter of technical discussion?

As I wrote earlier, it's incredible to me that Segovia is listed at 47 when he almost singlehandedly resurrected classical guitar playing with a more modern playing technique.

Don't get me wrong, I happen to really enjoy rock and blues - I play 'em. But "country" guitar pickers also generally were ignored. Yeah, Chet was way up there but really, does one consider Chopin as "country?"

So I'm wondering if the "poll" is more reflective of those who saw it to vote than the guitarists they voted for...

But then, I'm just a grouchy old man who's played the marketing game too... <grin>

m

Archived