Gibson Brands Forums

Which pickups?

Andre S

I wanted to get more clarity from chords and riffs than I get from my 490/498 combo...

So I am choosing between:

Fralin's PAF's (as listed on RSGuitarworks)

and

57 Classics

Which would be very clear and articulate and great for classic rock type tone?

Any other suggestions?

I wanted to get more clarity from chords and riffs than I get from my 490/498 combo...

So I am choosing between:

Fralin's PAF's (as listed on RSGuitarworks)

and

57 Classics

Which would be very clear and articulate and great for classic rock type tone?

Any other suggestions?

Pretty hot pups (490/498)....'57's may be the ticket.

Pretty hot pups (490/498)....'57's may be the ticket.

Yea and they get a tad muddy...they're great pickups but they really knock any clarity out from the heaviest strings..

Aside from pickups is there anything I can do to increase clarity?

Such as change string gauge or something?

if this was a poll' date=' I'd be more inclined to give some input. I'll start one for you [biggrin']

j/k......if it were me, I'd go with Franlins. But I may be biased since the guy lives a few minutes from me.

He does?

Do you offer to test out his pickups?

[confused]

and of course accidently forget to give them back?

[blink]

He does?

Do you offer to test out his pickups?

[confused]

and of course accidently forget to give them back?

[blink]

Sort of. You can actually visit and design your pups with him. Tell him the sound you want, etc and he will give you exactly what you want. It's F-ing cool.

Yeah' date=' and volume and tone controls, do wonders.... ;>)

CB[/quote']

Hilarious....

Yes, I've lowered the pickups as far as possible....lowered them and then raised the pole pieces, I get a nice tone overall but its not very clear...if you understand what I mean.

What I would suggest is possibly posting either an audio or video clip of you playing...maybe we can get a better idea..may not be the guitar...sorry not being a prick...I've played with some people in the past that were really hard on their strings and that made for muddy...

What I would suggest is possibly posting either an audio or video clip of you playing...maybe we can get a better idea..may not be the guitar...sorry not being a prick...I've played with some people in the past that were really hard on their strings and that made for muddy...

Sorry...umm....wouldn't make much of a difference because I have a really crappy $5 headphone that has a built in microphone...so.....it wouldn't really relay much.

Hilarious....

Yes' date=' I've lowered the pickups as far as possible....lowered them and then raised the pole pieces, I get a nice tone overall but its not very clear...if you understand what I mean.[/quote']

Sorry, I was only teasing, a bit. Which amp, are you using? The "Grit" or "non-clean" tone, may

be part of the amp's "signature tone." Fender "Clean" (for example), isn't realy super clean, but

has a bit of "grit," to it...that "sings!" Whereas a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 will be about as clean

an amp, as you could ask for. So...???

CB

319' date=' you make a lot of threads about moding your LP but do you ever actually modify it?[/quote']

Well...

So far:

Changed wiring from 2V 2T to 2V and Master tone; changed pots and caps for RS parts, plans to install fishman as soon as I can, drilled top and installed mini toggle for the fishman (already done)

Changed the plastics, but that doesn't really count, and took off the pickup covers, but I change between the creme and black parts as well as the covers ( off and on)

Sanded the finish around the top right off to have a kind of false binding effect... Done

So the only two things that I really planned to do from long ago that I haven't yet, is install the Fishman Powerbridge and the new pickups....

I haven't done the pickups yet because I changed my mind at the last minute from the Seymour Duncan APH, (after ordering, I cancelled it) so I could choose a pickup that is more of a PAF type.

So yea....I did....

Sorry' date=' I was only teasing, a bit. Which amp, are you using? The "Grit" or "non-clean" tone, may

be part of the amp's "signature tone." Fender "Clean" (for example), isn't realy super clean, but

has a bit of "grit," to it...that "sings!" Whereas a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 will be about as clean

an amp, as you could ask for. So...???

CB [/quote']

Well I use a Fender Super Champ XD on the non-voicing channel with a Champion 600 plugged into the Line out of the SCXD.

That was originally planned to be for a clean sound entirely

Then when the Class 5 is back in stock on the 15th I'll order that for a classic rock tone and then use Way Huge Pork Loin for a slightly crunch tone with the Fenders....

But as of now, I use the two Fenders as my entire sound.

Sorry...umm....wouldn't make much of a difference because I have a really crappy $5 headphone that has a built in microphone...so.....it wouldn't really relay much.

I don't care about the sound, it's the technique I want to see....

Well I use a Fender Super Champ XD on the non-voicing channel with a Champion 600 plugged into the Line out of the SCXD.

That was originally planned to be for a clean sound entirely

Then when the Class 5 is back in stock on the 15th I'll order that for a classic rock tone and then use Way Huge Pork Loin for a slightly crunch tone with the Fenders....

But as of now' date=' I use the two Fenders as my entire sound.[/quote']

Good amps! Do you, by chance, use any "reverb?" I'm thinking, just a little bit, for depth.

In my experience, that makes the amp sound a bit "cleaner," as well...odd as that might sound.

Good amps! Do you' date=' by chance, use any "reverb?" I'm thinking, [b']just a little bit[/b], for depth.

In my experience, that makes the amp sound a bit "cleaner," as well...odd as that might sound.

Yea I use a combination the delay and the reverb on the digital effects of the Fender Super Champ XD. Both these amps stay exceedingly clean.

Plus, an advantage of connecting the Champion 600 through the line out on the SCXD, is that because it stays clean minus slight breakup on full volume (hardly ever there) I can use it as a volume/clean boost which will increase volume (#-o ) without increasing the overdrive when I use the overdrive on the SCXD.

I've based the use of the reverb and delay on Bonamassa, where in his sound it does add a depth and the subtle delay helps to clear up the gain. And when I tried it did in fact clean up the gain a bit and did improve the clarity slightly. So that is not as odd, because I've really researched into setting up a very cool rig on a budget.

I also really like the idea of using one amp for one sound, as in clean and dirty and then any combination of the two.

I'm thinking with the Marshall I'll use the Boss DD-3 ( its seems popular used by Bonamassa and Slash etc) or the MXR Analog Delay with everything and then the built in reverb on the Fender.

Still designing the ins and outs...

I'll fiddle around with pickup height again tomorrow but ultimately I think I really want to change the pickups....Its just a matter of which ones.

Pickup height is 2 mm (approx) above the ring...for each I think.

Yeah' date=' well...it sounds as if you know, what you're after, at least. Be interested to see

what you come up with, and IF you change pickups, to help...which ones's you'll use...

Maybe Burstbuckers, or '57's? Keep us informed, ok?

CB[/quote']

Definitely.

Yoú guys and gals are the only ones I have to talk about who actually would be interested ( I think, hmmm? #-o) to hear the ins and outs of a rig.

My 2 cents on this is , consider the Burstbuckers. I have both '57's and BB's on LP's . imo the BB's are cleaner. both are good pups. I like BB's more.

the 57's are smoother but i think they have a bit more grit. I find that with the BB's, when you play a chord,you can hear each string and note clearly.

and that's using either amp i have.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

All I know is, though I love the BBs in my R9 well enough, my next HB clad LP will be a Traditional Plus with that 57 Classic / Classic Plus combo. As I've stated on other threads, when I went through my LP search I played every one I could get my hands on and the final A-B was between my R9 and a Traditional Plus. I didn't have problems with mud or clarity with it but I was doing all my A-Bs through the same Bogner Shiva amp. Great amp and there's nothing to blame the amp on and it's a consistent A-B with all the guitars. Same room, same licks, same amp, same settings.

My Lifeson had 57 Classics and I added a Classic Plus to the bridge on it and like it better now. I just think it's a killer combo for blues and classic rock which is about all I play. If I wasn't modifying a 1 of 25 50th R9, I'd put a set in it too. But, no need to change what ain't broke.

My next LP, however, may well be P90 clad. The more I hear 'em the more I like 'em. Only had the luxury of playing one once but didn't have enough cash . . . minor problem.

My 2 cents on this is ' date=' consider the Burstbuckers. I have both '57's and BB's on LP's . imo the BB's are cleaner. both are good pups. I like BB's more.

the 57's are smoother but i think they have a bit more grit. I find that with the BB's, when you play a chord,you can hear each string and note clearly.

and that's using either amp i have.

[/quote']

Which BB's? The Pro's? 1 and 2? 2 and 3? 1 and 3?

Archived