Gibson Brands Forums

Differences Between Different Guitars of the Exact Same Model

hollandaze

Have you experienced folks seen differences between individual guitars of the exact same model? IE, have you played two (or more) guitars of the same model and year and found differences? Were the differences subtle? Or, for the most part, do all guitars of the same model and year play pretty much the same?

I ask because I think found the guitar I want (the 61 reissue cherry, which is FREAKIN SUH-WEET) and played a few locally, but I can get a better deal on ebay. I've received some seemingly reliable guarantees of the guitar's condition, etc, but before proceeding I want to understand what, if any, differences exist between individuals.

Thanks for your help once again.

Of course. Guitars are like people, as in they're ALL different. The differences in the wood, finish, and yes, even the electronics (pickups) will set them apart from each other, even guitars of the EXACT same model. The differences are very subtle, but are there nonetheless, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. That's what gives them their "personality"/unique-ness.

It's up to the player to decide whether or not the guitar is up to par, so until you actually play it, there's really no way of judging.

Of course. Guitars are like people' date=' as in they're ALL different. The differences in the wood, finish, and yes, even the electronics (pickups) will set them apart from each other, even guitars of the EXACT same model. The differences are very subtle, but are there nonetheless, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. That's what gives them their "personality"/unique-ness.

It's up to the player to decide whether or not the guitar is up to par, so until you actually play it, there's really no way of judging.[/quote']

I couldnt of said it better my self. [confused]

Thanks for the quick replies. Interesting. And do you recommend not buying online for this reason?
Anytime you buy online, you're taking a shot in the dark. Not to say that it's necessarily a bad thing to do, but when it comes to guitars it's always good to play before you purchase, because no matter how good the condition of a guitar is (or at least, how good the seller SAYS it is), it could still turn out to be a dud. It's really hit or miss. The first thing you have to think to yourself is "why is this person selling it in the first place?".

For sure they are different. I have played a bunch of guitars of the same model and each has its own personality and feel. But I find most gibsons I play have a crappy setup and very few have a good action from the factory. But thats just my 2 cents.............. But I find one that I like and set it up the way I like when I get it home..........

Taking the gamble on a 61 reissue is a safer bet than most. I bought my 99 Standard off E-Bay and I think it plays and feels better than the new 09 special I have. I had faith that the quality was there, but it is a gamble.

Of course. Guitars are like people' date=' as in they're ALL different. The differences in the wood, finish, and yes, even the electronics (pickups) will set them apart from each other, even guitars of the EXACT same model. The differences are very subtle, but are there nonetheless, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. That's what gives them their "personality"/unique-ness.

It's up to the player to decide whether or not the guitar is up to par, so until you actually play it, there's really no way of judging.[/quote']

Absolutely. You can't expect two guitars of the same model to be identical in sound. They're made out of wood (usually!!) which is a naturally occurring material and varies from piece to piece, and as rockstar232007 says even pickups vary from one to another. The difference in sound can be huge between two guitars of exactly the same model even when made by the same people one after another.

Archived