Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

Here is a 1972 sg custom for sale and it is located in bristol connecticut....

Looks like it is in good condition...

http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2053572052.html

Hey Tom,

That's a pretty cool looking guitar. I wish there were more close ups. Especially the backside of the neck joint. That always is the problem area if it's been knocked over in it's stand or dropped. The price doesn't seem too bad if you could get more photos. A serial # would be nice also.

hey dawg

yeah i emailed him, if that guitar is in good condition its a great deal..

Ebay has a couple from that era that go for quite a bit more.

Also, i hear that the necks on the custom tend to move around a little because its slimmer? or because the neck pocket isn't as dep as on the sg 3.?

talk to you soon...................tom

hey dawg

dropped the action down, the harmonics are all set.action is alot better...but

having a little trouble getting the pickups back in adjustment...got the bridge so it in full power but the other two i am having trouble with...

can you post a pickup height picture i could use as a baseline.....thanks tom

hey dawg

dropped the action down, the harmonics are all set.action is alot better...but

having a little trouble getting the pickups back in adjustment...got the bridge so it in full power but the other two i am having trouble with...

can you post a pickup height picture i could use as a baseline.....thanks tom

Hey Tom,

This is all I could find in a quick search hope it helps.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Tone%20Tips_%20Pickup%20Heights/

Thanks dawg

I had the bridge pickup as close as i could get it without phasing out the magnet and it was sharp and brittle....

Backed of the bridge pickup until i got the nice vintage sound back and then adjusted the other two based on the bridge height..

now i have to work on the studio.....These pickups are very powerful so its a double edged sword when they are to close to the strings..

rock on

hey all

this is my pick for the GOTW on ebay i wanted to post in case you missed.....This one looks like a good one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Gibson-SG-Custom-Custom-Shop-Historic-Reissue-/280600234259?pt=Guitar&hash=item415513c913

have a nice day.............

That is a cool guitar. It sold for $1791 plus $50 shipping. That's a little out of my price range.

hey dawg,

nice to hear from you...

That sg custom was a little pricey yes, but loook what you get,,,,Its a vos in very good condition....I didn't think it would go that high myself just because some people are not aware of the sounds you get from three pickups..., but if you look at lets say a new les paul standard price it seems to soften it up a little...lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone and Happy New Year

Wanted to post this sg custom thats on ebay right now hovering around 1250.00 U.S., because its just so unique and beautiful..

Some say thats to high for a sg, but look at what you get....There are les pauls that go for a whole lot more then this will....And it has my favorite pickups the "57"s

My guess is the reserve is around 1500.00....Let me know what you think of it...Have a nice day

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-SG-CUSTOM-LAVA-BURST-LIMITED-EDITION-GUITAR-/190481856404?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c599a7794

Hey Tom what's up?

I know this is the SG3 thread but I finally found the perfect Les Paul for me. It has a thinner contoured body. It is weight relieved. It has a fast neck with the heel joint carved for easy access to upper frets and has 496R/498T pups that split coil and a floyd rose trem. bridge. It is perfect for me because I don't like big heavy bulky guitars because of my back and it solves the issues I have with smaller hands. Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=430635

hey dawg nice to hear from you,

Nice axe dawg, a bit expensive but Gibson is worth it in my opinion.

As a matter of fact i was thinking of you other day when i tried this es 339...The neck is really nice, and it has the smooth 57's in it...it sounds just like a es 335 to my ears and the 57's roar when you drive them through the hollow body....reason i thought of you is it is sooooo lightweight...If i could only own one guitar it would be this one because of the sound it produces, the neck, and the weight...its 2k and if they made me a halfway decent offer on my studio i would have charged it. But i didn't want to trade the sg 3 either.....let me know what you think...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-ES339-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar-with-3060-Neck?sku=515256

later dawg

hey dawg nice to hear from you,

Nice axe dawg, a bit expensive but Gibson is worth it in my opinion.

As a matter of fact i was thinking of you other day when i tried this es 339...The neck is really nice, and it has the smooth 57's in it...it sounds just like a es 335 to my ears and the 57's roar when you drive them through the hollow body....reason i thought of you is it is sooooo lightweight...If i could only own one guitar it would be this one because of the sound it produces, the neck, and the weight...its 2k and if they made me a halfway decent offer on my studio i would have charged it. But i didn't want to trade the sg 3 either.....let me know what you think...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-ES339-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar-with-3060-Neck?sku=515256

later dawg

That's close to something I would want but the semi hollows are still a bit too bulky for me. Very nice guitar. The reason I like that Les Paul is that they took care of all the reasons I don't like playing a Les Paul. They weigh around 7 lbs. close to a heavy SG. I sold my Taylor and Ibanez and this will be their replacement. It won't have all the wood tone of a regular LP but it won't be as bright as an SG.

Thats the thing about the 490 pickups is that they can be bright..You can tame them down with the amp and pedals of course..and a thicker body will help..

when i had the sg 3 faded and play the sg 3 with the 57' pickups against it you can hear the 490's have more treble and can be brittle compared to the 57 pickups..Then again the burstbuckers can be brittle, but have a great range from crystal clean to roaring overdrive..Yes that guitar hollow body)( weighs 8 pounds , hard to believe for a hollow body..but it is small, only sligly larger then a les paul but smaller then the 335 series. Also it has a special tone circuit in it if you read the page...maybe thats why it sounds so sweet...

I noticed a used one of the axcess your looking at on that site for much less, and you can return it if its not a good one...

I tried to sell the studio three times to fund the purchase of the hollow body, but then i was playing the studio the other day real bright sound so i dropped the bridge pickup way down and got a nice vintage sound...now i am thinking its not such a bad guitar but i keep going back to the sg 3, lol...

I'd say take your time, try as many as you need if your on the fence about it..

later dawg

Hey Tom I know that Custom LP is a little pricey but it is my dream LP and compared to alot of other customs the price is right. I see them on Ebay trying to sell for over $3800. I can get one for $3450 brand new signed sealed and delivered to my home. I also need a guitar with the Floyd Rose. I don't have any anymore!

Hey you know Gibsons are worth the money dawg......But it sounds like you got the itch but are holding back pulling the trigger for some reason ?

Having said that there was a used one also on MF i think was about half...

That last gibson posted is a real nice guitar....wonder if its the VOS like the one on ebay i saw...

let me know what you decide to do

Hey you know Gibsons are worth the money dawg......But it sounds like you got the itch but are holding back pulling the trigger for some reason ?

Having said that there was a used one also on MF i think was about half...

That last gibson posted is a real nice guitar....wonder if its the VOS like the one on ebay i saw...

let me know what you decide to do

I am waiting on the money to make the purchase Tom. Check out all the mods this beast has. I am already sold and used is not in my vocabulary right now. Thanks anyway.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard/Features.aspx

hey dawg

gibson says the guitar has 496R pickup and MF say it has the burstbuckers....am i looking at same guitar?

I like the neck on that real nice, looks like a shedders dream, and MF also sys you can split the coils.....don't know if i am looking at same guitar as gibson webpage wouldn't load again...

Also, was the sg 3 we have plek'd ?....if not is it possible to get that done ?