Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

hey dawg

gibson says the guitar has 496R pickup and MF say it has the burstbuckers....am i looking at same guitar?

I like the neck on that real nice, looks like a shedders dream, and MF also sys you can split the coils.....don't know if i am looking at same guitar as gibson webpage wouldn't load again...

Also, was the sg 3 we have plek'd ?....if not is it possible to get that done ?

Hey Tom,

The Axcess guitar originally came out with Burstbuckers and alot of people complained about the BB1 in the neck so now they are installing the 496R/498T which I prefer. I think the Burstbuckers sound too close to my 57's. I welcome the hotter pickups. Yes they all have the coil split switch. I was trying to show you how they have carved away the the heel at the neck so you get easy access to upper frets and the guitar has a bevel scarf in the back and front of the guitar so it doesn't dig in like other LP's. Also the guitar is thinner than regular LP's and is weight relieved. Let me see if I can get the page to show up again.

As far as the plek machining I had the assumption that Gibson used it on most guitars.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard/Features.aspx

See if this works.

Hey Tom,

The Axcess guitar originally came out with Burstbuckers and alot of people complained about the BB1 in the neck they thought it was too lame. So now they are installing the 496R/498T which I prefer. I think the Burstbuckers sound too close to my 57's. I welcome the hotter pickups. Yes they all have the coil split switch. I was trying to show you how they have carved away the the heel at the neck so you get easy access to upper frets and the guitar has a bevel scarf in the back and front of the guitar so it doesn't dig in like other LP's. Also the guitar is thinner than regular LP's and is weight relieved. I read somewhere that it weighs between 6 1/2 to 7 lbs. Let me see if I can get the page to show up again.

As far as the plek machining I had the assumption that Gibson used it on most guitars.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard/Features.aspx

See if this works.

this MF link has the right specs.I want the gun metal grey.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=430635

Sorry about the double post. I messed up editing somehow. LOL

Tom here's an article about the Plek machining. I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not our SG's have had it done. Tons and tons of guitars have been made without it and look at all the beautiful music that we have heard over the years. I would only consider it if my frets needed replacing. I would then ask Gibson what it would cost to have them do your guitar.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Built%20by%20Humans,%20Perfected%20by/

oh ok thats the pickup on the flying v...

very hot ceramic....

I think he kicks it in at the end of this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUSeh-vZzAI

Chances are you are right Tom,

The 496R pup is usually paired up with the 500T on V's and Explorers and various other models. Now on the axcess it is paired up with the 498T which is not as hot as the 500T ceramic pup. Hard to always tell the pickup when you use all the effects Hendrix does but it sounds like it to me. I could be wrong but I think the Angus Young sig pickup is based on the 498T.

Here are specs on 498T pups

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Pickups-and-Electronics/Humbucker-Pickups/498T-Hot-Alnico-Bridge.aspx

Here are specs on Angus Young Sig pups

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Pickups-and-Electronics/Humbucker-Pickups/Angus-Young-Signature-Humbucker.aspx

Here's a Gibson pickup output chart that helps you compare how hot the various pups are

user5932_pic451_1212547364.jpg

Nice chart dawg, i notice the dirty fingers lead the pack there, if my vision is still working.......thats whats in those epiphones you got there i thinks.....

I had thought the 500t 's were the hottest, and they are in flying v's but also have seen them in other guitars...

Guy down here has a bfg, has a burstbucker 3 and a p90 in the bridge, you ever try one of those?....he lookin for like 750 , not that i need another guitar mind you but i still look for some reason, just in case a real bargin doesn't slip by. they call that gibson fever.... I like the raw finish guitars for some reason.....later dawg

Nice chart dawg, i notice the dirty fingers lead the pack there, if my vision is still working.......thats whats in those epiphones you got there i thinks.....

I had thought the 500t 's were the hottest, and they are in flying v's but also have seen them in other guitars...

Guy down here has a bfg, has a burstbucker 3 and a p90 in the bridge, you ever try one of those?....he lookin for like 750 , not that i need another guitar mind you but i still look for some reason, just in case a real bargin doesn't slip by. they call that gibson fever.... I like the raw finish guitars for some reason.....later dawg

Hey Tom, Yeah the Dirty Fingers are the hottest pickups Gibson currently makes. They have more bottom end than the 500T pups. I really love them. I have the 500T pups in my V and I like them also. Yeah The Epiphone Custon SG I have is an awesome axe for the price.

I hear you about always looking at guitars. My main thing is that my guitars are light, have player friendly necks and they each sound different.

hey dawg,

This is a smoking hot sg 3 here, thought i drop you a link for you to check out...I have not seen this one but really like the three toggle switches, gives lots of different sounds i bet...Imagine the single coils are decent too...let me know what you think....

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-86-VINTAGE-GIBSON-SG3-FERRARI-RED-ORIGINAL-BEAUTY-/120674907247?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c18c8f46f

• 2 weeks later...

Another smoking hot vintage sg custom on ebay...I notice that the owner says this is a "one off" custom with several features not on other customs from this era.. This looks to be in really good condition for a 1972 and i think given market conditions for vintage sg's, that 2800 would be a steal for this instrument. Lots of bang for the buck, especially considering what the new sg customs go for.

Any comments to either verify or dispute the features would be appreciated..

heres the link..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1972-Gibson-SG-Custom-VERY-RARE-GUITAR-NearMint-/260730258430?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cb4bc03fe

Hey Tom,

I've been real busy lately and haven't been to the forum. I missed both those sales so I couldn't get any close up looks but from the small pics they looked great. I'm still waiting on my money. It should get here around the 20th and then I can get my axe. Let me know how you are doing.

P.S. My email is temp. down.

If you click on the picture it might give you the larger ones...

As I suspected someone snatched up the 72 sg for 2800, it actually looks like he had two offers, and the guitar looked like it was in real good condition.

Thought you had the new guitar and was jamming , nice to hear from you....Been busy to but trying to keep this thread alive.

tom

Hey guys I hope this is the place to get an answer. I have owned a P90 SG Special for 42 years. I have recently rediscovered it. I have many other guitars but I just love the feel of this guitar. I recently aquired an Epi G400 and fell in love with the HB tone. I am currently looking for another Gibson SG. I have seen several of the Faded SG3s recently for sale. I am interesteed to find out more about them. I have seen a Faded SG3 with the dot neck and 3 open coil 490s/498. I have also seen a couple of the same Faded SG3 guitars with nickel covered pickups.

Can anyone tell me what pickups are in these. I know the Custom has 57s in it.

Any help would be appreciated. I have one I am hoping to look at today. I would really like to get a Standard but these look to be pretty cool.

Thanks.

The sg 3 has the 490 pickups in it and also has a six way rotary switch that gives you some great sounds.

I first Played a sg 3 faded at a store and loved it, real clean crisp sounds and great neck...But i passed on it but then realized i made a mistake. The pickups come without covers, but many people add them for the look.does not have the binding.

The sg 3 in my profile has the "57" pickups and a fatter neck also with the six way switch. i called a guy that listed it in craigs list, and it was a hour drive away but was a good deal so i got the red one..It has the best sound for me, and the best variety of sounds in the sg line. They only come in red and black, there was a black one one ebay for a bit for 1200 or best offer.

The sg custom is different from both...The neck is smaller (i'm told) and it come with three "57"s but with a three way switch. Thats another great sg.

good luck in your purchase.

The sg 3 has the 490 pickups in it and also has a six way rotary switch that gives you some great sounds.

I first Played a sg 3 faded at a store and loved it, real clean crisp sounds and great neck...But i passed on it but then realized i made a mistake. The pickups come without covers, but many people add them for the look.does not have the binding.

The sg 3 in my profile has the "57" pickups and a fatter neck also with the six way switch. i called a guy that listed it in craigs list, and it was a hour drive away but was a good deal so i got the red one..It has the best sound for me, and the best variety of sounds in the sg line. They only come in red and black, there was a black one one ebay for a bit for 1200 or best offer.

The sg custom is different from both...The neck is smaller (i'm told) and it come with three "57"s but with a three way switch. Thats another great sg.

good luck in your purchase.

That is interesting. The one I am looking at is a Worn White from 2007. It has the 3 covered pickups as well.

Apparently they came that way in 2007. I am pretty sure they would have the 3 490 set. I see yours has the bound neck with inlays. This one has the dot neck.

stewie let me know how it works out...

Like i said i think they are great guitars , and the price is not bad when you consider the costs of the hardware parts alone..

When i first tried the guitar it was plugged into a line 6 amp..The clean sounds blew me away, and it also overdrives real nice.

The true positions of the pickups with the six way switch are different from what Gibson had said they were..

As far as the covers, the one i played just had the cover slipped over and they seemed to stay on the 490's. If gibson puts them on I think the would be waxed on or something....

have a good day.

Hey Forum

I just saw this forum and was pleasently surpriced to see a forum on my beloved SG 3.I have a 2007 Gibson SG 3 in Ebony with three gold PAF 57's I've had since new.The tones you can get out of this guitar are amazing and with the looks of a 61 are amazing expecially the antique binding on the neck.The six way switch is cool but I'd prefer the 3 way and 1 more vol. and tone. but would never change it.

This ones a keeper

Hey Forum

I just saw this forum and was pleasently surpriced to see a forum on my beloved SG 3.I have a 2007 Gibson SG 3 in Ebony with three gold PAF 57's I've had since new.The tones you can get out of this guitar are amazing and with the looks of a 61 are amazing expecially the antique binding on the neck.The six way switch is cool but I'd prefer the 3 way and 1 more vol. and tone. but would never change it.

This ones a keeper

Are you talking about the Gibson SG-3 ?

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/temp509.jpg/

Yeah blazer i thought about putting a set of vintage caps and upgrading controls on mine but it sounds good and i am afraid if i mess around it I might muck it up. Ebay actually has the upgrade under sg 3 guitars and its 145.00 but some say there is little to no difference depending on your ears.

The sg 3 and sg custom are very under-rated in my opinion..There is a black sg 3 on ebay now for 1500.00..Thats a lot of bang for the buck i think.

P.S. nice sg 3 there alpha, but that photo website dragged my computer to a virus check website..

Yeah blazer i thought about putting a set of vintage caps and upgrading controls on mine but it sounds good and i am afraid if i mess around it I might muck it up. Ebay actually has the upgrade under sg 3 guitars and its 145.00 but some say there is little to no difference depending on your ears.

The sg 3 and sg custom are very under-rated in my opinion..There is a black sg 3 on ebay now for 1500.00..Thats a lot of bang for the buck i think.

P.S. nice sg 3 there alpha, but that photo website dragged my computer to a virus check website..

Here's a pic of mine.I was thinking of installing two push pull pots one 500 vol and one 300 tone to do the job of 4 pots and then a replacing the 6 way with a 3 way but my guitar teck said I'd **** up the tone.He probley is right because the different tones are amazing.

Couldn't find it on Ebay I guess it's over or sold.I will post some better pics but the gold really pops in the ebony.

Blazer thats the thing about finding the right tone..One guitarist said "I just decided this was the tone i had and started to work with it". Sometimes that lust can distract me from the playing i need to do to get better. Still, lol, like to add a 61 reissue or a sg custom and get rid of my studio...But , the sg 3 has some great tones, its a total rock machine..The bridge pickup is smoking sometimes i play it for days, lol.

later

Blazer thats the thing about finding the right tone..One guitarist said "I just decided this was the tone i had and started to work with it". Sometimes that lust can distract me from the playing i need to do to get better. Still, lol, like to add a 61 reissue or a sg custom and get rid of my studio...But , the sg 3 has some great tones, its a total rock machine..The bridge pickup is smoking sometimes i play it for days, lol.

later

How did you like your studio I just ordered a Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute limited run I thought they were sold out but Gibson made a few more available,mines a gold top .I've always played my SG3 through all tube Marshalls but recently purchased a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 and it blows the Marshall away with the SG 3.

Whats everyone play their SG 3's through?????