Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

Blazer I have the gibson les paul vintage mahogney studio which is semi hollow with nitro finish and burstbucker pro pickups.

After i got the sg 3 i was playing the studio less and less. Now my ear has adjusted to the "57" pickups the burstbuckers seem to sound thinner and a little harsh at times.

I always thought the burstbuckers were the best pickups now i am kinda hooked on the "57"s.

I 'd like to sell the studio and use that money to fund a sg 61 reissue, or maybe the new 50 aniversity sg with the 57's in it....It is only available in black though and i hate black guitars..Wish they would make them with a nitro finish or light natural finish.

I live in a condo so I have the line 6 spider 4 75 watt amp...

Blazer I have the gibson les paul vintage mahogney studio which is semi hollow with nitro finish and burstbucker pro pickups.

After i got the sg 3 i was playing the studio less and less. Now my ear has adjusted to the "57" pickups the burstbuckers seem to sound thinner and a little harsh at times.

I always thought the burstbuckers were the best pickups now i am kinda hooked on the "57"s.

I 'd like to sell the studio and use that money to fund a sg 61 reissue, or maybe the new 50 aniversity sg with the 57's in it....It is only advailable in black though and i hate black guitars..Wish they would make them with a nitro finish or light natural finish.

I live in a condo so I have the line 6 spider 4 75 watt amp...

Hey Tom

Thanks for the links the first is identical to mine.I agree with regards to the 57's but I've always had a soft spot for for the Les Paul Gol Top and the P90's.It should be a good contrast between the two,that would give each one thier own purpose.My first choice for the SG 3 was cherry like yours but could only get Black.I'm very happy with it now though.

hey dawg how ya doin

hey looking at the 50 anversity edition of the sg and really like it....was looking at the 61 reissue for awhile but price is up there..

anyway, do you know how the neck is on the sg's as compared to the sg 3?

as you may imagine i am looking for something with a smaller neck, but never played a regular standard just a faded so have no reference point..

thought you might know...take care

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey dawg how ya doin

hey looking at the 50 anversity edition of the sg and really like it....was looking at the 61 reissue for awhile but price is up there..

anyway, do you know how the neck is on the sg's as compared to the sg 3?

as you may imagine i am looking for something with a smaller neck, but never played a regular standard just a faded so have no reference point..

thought you might know...take care

Hey Tom, how are you?

Long time no see. I've been real busy haven't been on the forum in a long time. months actually. I ordered that Les Paul axcess finally it should be arriving in a couple of weeks can,t wait.

hey dawg nice to hear from you.

yeah the 61 reissue the neck is way to wide....The aniversity editions are not being released...I tried the sg with the coil splits and the neck is still a little beefier then i want, and it doesn't do anything my sg does not already...lol, in fact a little less...so i have another i am looking at i'll tell you in private...

later tom

dawg check out this sg 3....i would love to try this guitar..looks like it has three switches to activate any combo

of pickups..I wonder how the single coils are but i bet you can get some real nice tones from this axe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-SG-1986-Special-400-guitar-3PU-Kahler-tremolo-/130502063854?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e628776ee

later

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tom,

Whats happening? I finally got my Les Paul Axcess guitar. It is now my fave guitar. The upper fret access is unbelievable and the weight is close to an SG. The pups are hot but not too hot and each pup split coils. On a 10 scale I have to give it a 15. The neck is slim and fast plus the Floyd Rose puts it over the top. I don't have a camera at this time so a pic by Gibson will have to do til I get my camera back. Keep on Rockin Bro

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard.aspx

BTW I bought the Gun Metal Gray one.

hey dawg

checked it out looks real nice....

I thought the 500 t 's were red hot ceramic pickups ?.......

anyway post some pics......

tom

Hey Tom you are correct 500T's are Gibson's hot ceramic bridge pups but my guitar has the 496R/498T pups. the 496R is ceramic in the neck but the 498T has Alnico V mags. they are pretty hot. Basically the same pup as the Angus Young Pup without the varnished wire windings. anyway i have had a spot of bad luck and can't get to my camera for a while. i will post pics as soon as I can. Good to talk to you again. Later Bro and Keep on Rockin

d8a7c57b-48ad-41c0-9f5f-131e6a3c455b.jpg?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=410&width=1000

• 3 weeks later...

hey dawg still waiting on those pics...

sure your busy playing some rock and roll......... [thumbup]

Yea h and my daughter is away with the camera and my phone doesn't take pics. hoping to get camera later this week. This is the most awesome Les Paul for my needs and really when you look at the price of a standard and all the mods the Custom shop makes it is not out of line. I paid $3449 tax included and they set it up for me at no additional cost. the action is great.

• 3 weeks later...

hello all ,

Heres the black version of the sg 3 like the one i own, made in 2007 and i believe only 400 of each made.

Price is not bad, considering you get a huge range of tones on these guitars..I had a gibson studio, a faded sg 3 and ended up selling both because i just did not pick them up for a year after i bought the cherry sg 3....

heres the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Gibson-SG-3-Electric-Guitar-w-Case-SG3-Custom-/160585839518?pt=Guitar&hash=item2563a9739e

Hey Tom,

Whats happening?

Thats a sweet looking guitar but the buy now price is more than I paid for mine new and I don't think they have gone up in value yet. I might pay $1000-$1200 depending on how it played and the shape it is in. Any way thats my 2 cents worth.

Keep on Rockin Bro

Rewd

P.S. i still don't have access to a camera yet will post pics as soon as I do.

Hey nice axe dawg, was on vacation just got back.

That neck looks smaller then the sg 3 , which i guess is also the same neck as the sg....Do they call that 60's slim or what.

Also, had another thread about sg 3 's if you didn't see it.

There are some pics of older sg 3 with the mini humbuckers and really look like a cool guitar to play...one just passed on ebay for 500...

Heres another ebay special that he says is a sg 3 but not sure if thats right....?

rock on....heres the link tell what what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1971-Gibson-USA-SG-III-3-SGIII-RARE-/270754902362?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0a3ff15a#ht_500wt_922

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For your inspection is the one of the holy grails of sg's, a 1962 sg 3.

Most guitars from this time period have so many issues that they are not worth even considering for the prices they want.

However, this one looks good, no breaks or major damage, and all factory parts.. Any comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1962-Gibson-SG-Les-Paul-Custom-White-REAL-DEAL-/370529484669?pt=Guitar&hash=item5645473f7d#ht_500wt_1054