Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

Here is whats described as a 50's but someone else says its a 1962..

looks to be in good condition expect for the green paint so i figured i check with our expert forum staff and see what they think..

regards tom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-1950s-SG-CUSTOM-LES-PAUL-w-CASE-/220877804415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336d57d37f

Hey Tom,

What's up? It's been a while. Whatcha been up to? I have been having fun jamming on my Les Paul Axcess. I love the FR tremelo and the weight is easy on my back. I have absolutely no probs with the guitar going out of tuning. My SG3 has kind of been neglected. Just sitting in its case lately. Even tho I have decreased the number of guitars I now own I still have a prob saying which one is my fave. They are all great guitars. Even my Epi Custom SG GX is a shredders dream guitar. I gave the Epi Custom SG EX to my son. He loves it too. He likes to play a lot of Metallica so it fits his style just fine.

In ref to this green SG. As far as I remember the SG was not introduced until 1961. That guitar sure looks like a 61' model to me. Someone can sure correct me if I am wrong.

Later Bro Keep On Rockin!

Thanks sg jones for the info.

and hello dawg long time no see.

dawg i almost got a 2011 sg with the burstbuckers but backed out.sounded like my studio with the B.B. but better neck.

I also like the the new aniversity sg with the 57's in it..no one seems to stock though.

anytime i go to buy a new guitar it doesnt do anything that i can't do with this one, it seems, or maybe my ears are biased now...lol

but i do love these 57 pickups, they really have great clarity and you can use very heavy distortion and not loose the base tones...

you gonna sell the sg 3 ?

regards tom

Here is whats described as a 50's but someone else says its a 1962..

looks to be in good condition expect for the green paint so i figured i check with our expert forum staff and see what they think..

regards tom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-1950s-SG-CUSTOM-LES-PAUL-w-CASE-/220877804415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336d57d37f

With the original finish gone I'm not sure the worth on it, could have done a lot better job cleaning it up for pics though.

Blazer that sg 3 looks real sweet..

Tell me, does that guitar sit in that case properly ? My sg 3 sits in the case with the back of the neck popped off the rest enough to make me nervous.

If i put a cloth under the back of the guitar it becomes level and the neck rests properly..

not sure if its the right case or not.

comments ?

Blazer that sg 3 looks real sweet..

Tell me, does that guitar sit in that case properly ? My sg 3 sits in the case with the back of the neck popped off the rest enough to make me nervous.

If i put a cloth under the back of the guitar it becomes level and the neck rests properly..

not sure if its the right case or not.

comments ?

Hey Tom,

What's up. My SG3 sits perfect in its case. The case is a little different than some I've seen. The top cover is contoured up in the center and has a combination lock instead of the common padlock on one of the buckles. Also the handle is like a double leather handle instead of the common single leather covered handle you see on most cases. Hope that helps.

Rewd.

Thanks dawg..I think i have a gibson lp case or something.

I went to g.c. asked for a SG case and then tried a SG in it and guess what....Fit just like mine.. thing is they are expensive for the right one.

This SG is a 1964 and wanted to post because its so mint.. Its really not a custom but what the hell....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-Standard-1964-Electric-Solid-Guitar-Near-Mint-Factory-Bigsby-Custom-/150690192632?pt=Guitar&hash=item2315d5dcf8#ht_26208wt_1103

later

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, watch the SG neck angles when you're case-buying! My '73 Custom has a much shallower angle than the more recent SG's, certainly my '05 Standard and the 2009 SG Carved Top are far more pronounced. I'm not sure, but kind of wonder if the Norlin-era guitars all had the shallow angle, my friend has a '73 Les Paul deluxe (which is anything but deluxe), and it too has a shallow angle on the neck.

Thanks rainbow, i did look at my friends SG and his case fit that guitar perfectly..

Problem is I slepped the guitar around once with the crappy case and could not find the right one.

Now i don't want to order one and get stuck with shipping costs if it is the wrong one again.

Thanks rainbow, i did look at my friends SG and his case fit that guitar perfectly..

Problem is I slepped the guitar around once with the crappy case and could not find the right one.

Now i don't want to order one and get stuck with shipping costs if it is the wrong one again.

Well interestingly I needed a decent case for the shallow neck angled '73 Custom, and it fits the Hiscox SG case perfectly, dunno if you can get them in the U.S.?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again rainbow i'll have to check that out..

Now i didn't know that some SG's had a shallow neck angle ? any more information on that subject >?

thing is the case i have fits perfect except that the neck doesn't rest properly in the case..

The neck hits the first neck groove , but on the second neck holder the neck is like a 1\4 inch above the case rest.

Not the end of the world but, i d sure rather have a case that fits properly.

regards

tom

Well, certainly there is definitely a marked difference in neck angles, of the '70's guitars, part of which makes me wonder if the lessening of the angle prompted Gibson to use the 'harmonica' bridge, as it maybe is able to sit just a little lower than the standard Tuneamatic. But what I cannot tell you is when any change took place. Sorry!

Rainbow i think mine is pitched back more but let me check.

Thought i d post this sg, not sure if it was considered a custom back then.

The price is high but seem condition is really good.

happy holidays to all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-Standard-1964-Electric-Solid-Guitar-Near-Mint-Factory-Bigsby-Custom-/150721496764?pt=Guitar&hash=item2317b386bc

Happy new year everyone.......

Rainbow I thought the SG customs had the thinner neck...The picture of the 68 reissue looks awful close to my neck size, looks to be ebony.

Also, while on the subject, if the neck is the same as the SG 3 , then the only difference on the custom seems to be the headstock, and the 3 way ( as opposed to the 6 way switch).

we had this conversation before here and was some disagreement and still wonder about it.

The reason i am asking is i really want to get a sg with a thinner neck but also with the "57" pickups in it.The 50th anversity SG has a " ergonomic rounded neck profile". Is that neck slimmer then the SG 3 ? I have big hands and struggle with the neck on this guitar.

Do you of any SG's with 57's and slimmer neck? The 61 reissue is slimmer but still way to wide.

thanks tom

Happy new year everyone.......

Rainbow I thought the SG customs had the thinner neck...The picture of the 68 reissue looks awful close to my neck size, looks to be ebony.

Also, while on the subject, if the neck is the same as the SG 3 , then the only difference on the custom seems to be the headstock, and the 3 way ( as opposed to the 6 way switch).

we had this conversation before here and was some disagreement and still wonder about it.

The reason i am asking is i really want to get a sg with a thinner neck but also with the "57" pickups in it.The 50th anversity SG has a " ergonomic rounded neck profile". Is that neck slimmer then the SG 3 ? I have big hands and struggle with the neck on this guitar.

Do you of any SG's with 57's and slimmer neck? The 61 reissue is slimmer but still way to wide.

thanks tom

My '73 Custom (and all of the SG's I've seen that have been manufactured around that period in time) have a narrower neck at the nut than later SG's. I don't know if that was specific to the Norlin era guitars though. As a comparison, the Custom neck measures 40mm wide at the nut, and my later guitars, both SG's, Les Paul and Flying V '67 are 43mm wide. The Custom neck is a little deeper than my other guitars, about 2mm so where it starts to blend into the body, and I believe the vast majority of the Customs had ebony fretboards. The Custom neck profile however, is not bad, just different. The new SG Carved Top neck is the chunkiest, with a very rounded profile, although it does tend to stay in tune better than the others. The best neck to my feel is without doubt the '67 Re Issue Flying V, but you pays your money and takes your choice.

This is not a quizzz but if you want one, what' s this SG? [biggrin]

912.jpg

I've never seen an SG with 3 P90's before, so I can only imagine it might be an artist custom model, or perhaps an odd Custom Shop job because it doesn't have the split diamond headstock inlay of the normal Customs. The gold hardware is usually reserved for Customs too.

Rainbow i have played the flying V and actually almost bought one but ended up with a faded studio,then a sg3 faded (490t's) and finally the limited sg3 series. Seems the burstbuckers had clean tones i was after at that time, and they overdrive really well also.

Having played the ''57'' pickups for a couple years they have become my favorite gibson pickup , but i guess my ears ajust to them right?...lol

Having said that i have the isle of wight dvd and as you probably know hendrix plays a flying v in his red house, and that guitar really screeches some notes when he overdrives it, really good stuff i think.

Also from what i've read he had serious problems with his sound system during that concert and you can see he was not happy...

of course i don't thing they even have a mixing board setup back then, just plugged in the amp i guess..

I had even considered have someone shave the neck on my SG but afraid it will get screwed up, lol, and it sounds just right to me..

tom