Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

hey dawg

hope all is well with you, i spotted this baby on ebay and thought it was interesting the price is up there, and it does have two volume and two tone control, but it does not have the magic chicken head switch....

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-SG-LES-PAUL-HISTORIC-CUSTOM-SHOP-3-PICKUP-/170454992215?pt=Guitar

now i have to stand by mt statement, the sg 3's are still under valued, especially for what you get for tone....

Also, i changed the title to include the SG custom because thats the one the old school guys played...looking for new video on those..

peace ...tom

Hey Tom, What's Happening?

I hope all is well. Did you ever find a new amp yet?

I've been busy playing guitar once or twice a week with some local musicians. I am also taking lessons on playing lead guitar. My teacher is one of the best guitar players in the area and is teaching me the basics to be a shredder.

Those Sabbath videos are great. I was lucky enough to see them in concert before Ozzy left the band in the late 70's. Van Halen opened up for them. It was a great show.

Gotta go. Keep On Rockin!

Rewd.

hey my dawg,

Good to hear from you.

want to let you know i sent a email to that old address and it gave me a failure notice.

no, didn't get a new amp have been trying to get this house so avoiding any major purchases at this moment..

I did find a orange setting on my line 6, and i know the purists may come out, but it sounds damn close at lower volumes, but i am sure that would change at higher volumes...I can get the black sabbath iron man tone pretty well.

Also got a couple packs of the dr blues pure nickel see if i can cut the treble out on this sg 3...

The other thing i may do later is get a two volume, two tone wiring harness with the bumble bee or sprage cap to get a more grainy vintage tone out of it...

I don't see that i will ever sell this axe so i figure it be worth it..

Send me a new email when you get a address, i need you to help me find some more vintage or modern sg 3 or sg custom videos to keep this thread going.

rock on shredder, tom

Sorry to butt in, but that IS Eric Clapton. And the guitar he's holding is an SG Standard called "The Fool."

fool20pic.jpg

I thought I recognized the guitar but I sure didn't realize that was Clapton. I had read that "The Fool" had been passed around to a few different guitar players. I can't remember who supposedly had it last. Thanks for the info SG Fan!

Rewd.

welcome back sg fan and feel free to to add anything to thread, most people don't comment just view..

I thought it was clapton, and even looked up some older pics of him but did not see any like this one.

There is a sg painted by hand like the ""fool" guitar on ebay but quite expensive...I thought it was a three pickup guitar at first..

whats up dawg ?

tom

Thanks SG fan thats a great video that i did not see before.

That custom has some serious blues tones to it, a really great sound.

I have looked on you tube for sg custom and sg 3 vintage videos and have run into a wall trying to find.

you have any others ?

thanks tom

If I had a 3 pickup SG, I would want to have 4 pots and a standard 3 way toggle switch. I would have a volume pot for each pickup and a master tone.

I would have the switch so that it works like a standard 2 pickup guitar. I would have it wired so that I could bring up the volume on the middle pickup to engage it at any time/ position. And I would probably have it out of phase.

That's probly the only way I would have a 3 pickup SG. I don't like the sound of the middle pickup very much so I would want to have it out of the equation most of the time unless I wanted to bring it in for some weirdness. That's just me though.

If I had a 3 pickup SG, I would want to have 4 pots and a standard 3 way toggle switch. I would have a volume pot for each pickup and a master tone.

I would have the switch so that it works like a standard 2 pickup guitar. I would have it wired so that I could bring up the volume on the middle pickup to engage it at any time/ position. And I would probably have it out of phase.

That's probly the only way I would have a 3 pickup SG. I don't like the sound of the middle pickup very much so I would want to have it out of the equation most of the time unless I wanted to bring it in for some weirdness. That's just me though.

I did the trick on sold a Burny copy. I think it's a very fine way to enhance your 3pu sg.

This topic makes me gas for one. I'm in need of a white one. [blush]