Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

If I had a 3 pickup SG, I would want to have 4 pots and a standard 3 way toggle switch. I would have a volume pot for each pickup and a master tone.

I would have the switch so that it works like a standard 2 pickup guitar. I would have it wired so that I could bring up the volume on the middle pickup to engage it at any time/ position. And I would probably have it out of phase.

That's probly the only way I would have a 3 pickup SG. I don't like the sound of the middle pickup very much so I would want to have it out of the equation most of the time unless I wanted to bring it in for some weirdness. That's just me though.

That sounds like an interesting setup, although I would not like to part with my 6 way rotary switch.

Lol I'm just the other way around. I don't want to part with my 3 way switch.

You may be on to something. It would definately be faster using a 3 way but would you still be able to maintain the 6 way pup combination?

This 6-way pickup selector is a “Chicken Head” rotary dial with six positions to choose from. The 6 positions are the following:

1)Bridge

2)Bridge and Middle

3)Middle

4)Middle and Neck

5)Neck

6)Neck and Bridge

Yeah you could still do all of those and you could use the pots to vary the amount of each pickup that you're hearing (middle or otherwise). It's a very reasonable way to do it IMO.

Many people also install a mini switch to activate the middle pickup. This is probably the best way to do it because then you can have the volume of the middle pickup already set and then kick it on instantly at any time. It would function as a regular two pickup guitar with a third pickup that can be activated in any position.

What position do you use mostly on your SG 3? I have a Standard but I use the neck pickup mostly.

Thanks redawg they have some interesting things to say about caps and pots at that site.

Now as far as the 6 way switch i think its great.

What i notice on les pauls and sg's with a three way switch is that in the middle position its not full power both pickups..I brought this up in another forum(have to look for it) and there is some type of power loss with it...It seems that with the six way switch when you add the middle or neck to the bridge, it increases the power. The middle P/u seems to soften up when added to the bridge, but it adds depth with the softness..the bridge and neck is great position also.

i do like the idea though of having three volume controls, heck i also like to hear all three pickups engaged with the middle out of phase, that sounds real hot i bet...

I like what the 6 way does but not how it does it.

I like to be able to just blindly swing my hand down and flip the switch basically by just smacking it like an idiot really quickly while I'm playing. The 6 way just has too many positions for me to adjust it quickly enough. In a band situation I tend to make a lot of adjustments.

I know what you're talking about with the 3 way middle position volume drop. It's very minor but still noticable. I still use it though. It has it's merit.

Thank you guys, now I'm seriously in the market for one.

Anyway, I was wondering if there always been long tenons on SG Custom. There's a 1987 and a 1998 ri for sale, and though some would'nt care about this, I do, in a crucial way.

[-o<

I have never taken the pups out of my Gibson yet. I have taken the pups out of my Epi Custom SG's and the neck goes all the way down to the neck pup cavity and has a beautiful tight fit to the body, no noticable gaps. I imagine if they do it on the Epi's that they do it on the Gibby's. I hope that helps.

I have never taken the pups out of my Gibson yet. I have taken the pups out of my Epi Custom SG's and the neck goes all the way down to the neck pup cavity and has a beautiful tight fit to the body, no noticable gaps. I imagine if they do it on the Epi's that they do it on the Gibby's. I hope that helps.

Kindof. Thanks anywway :)

I'm gasing to death for a White custom, but a friend who knows a bit about guitars - especially those you bring on stage - told me the SG custom is probably one of the most beautiful Gibson model, but also the most breakable. He also told me the last decade models were built stronger.

Any thoughts? [mellow]

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering for a while about the SG i bought in December 09'. It's a "SG S3 Standard" not the "SG S3" line. Its got 3 single coil pick ups intead of humbuckers, and its guitar of the week #10 in 2007. Natural Satin finish. Its basically an S3 with single coils, but for some reason Gibson labeled this model "SG Standard with 3 single coils" instead of S3 like its other models (S3, S3 Specials, etc...) :S...

There is very, but very little information about this model online:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitar%20of%20the%20Week/SG%20Standard%20w_3%20Single%20Coils/

Even to find pictures of it... there are only a few on google, you tube, craigslist, e-bay etc...

Again, this guitar is basically the same thing as yours, other than the finish, the pickguard and the pickups.

This was a limited run (like all of the 2007 Gibsons)... but not even on you tube i can find someone that owns one. I am not a single coil guy after all, so I am looking to trade it for the S3 red or ebony.

Anyone heard of this model before, or interested in trading?

Thanks

2007 GOTW #2 Les Paul Classic Antique "Fireburst"

2007 GOTW #10 SG S3 Standard "Natural Satin"

2008 Les Paul Standard "Ebony"

Hey...great post...I have this guitar in black !!

My experience was that the original bar single coils were awful and badly fitted

Otherwise a nice cheap USA made SG with a chunky neck

I had 3 Strat pickups fitted

And it is now a very usable and unusual guitar

With a biting tone....!!

Thank you guys, now I'm seriously in the market for one.

Anyway, I was wondering if there always been long tenons on SG Custom. There's a 1987 and a 1998 ri for sale, and though some would'nt care about this, I do, in a crucial way.

[-o<

Hey Cosmitron, What's up?

I think the answer is that if the SG is a 60's or 61 reissue the neck joint is at the 22nd fret. Most if not all later models have the neck joint at the 19th fret giving them a longer, sturdier neck joint. If I remember right the longer neck joints started around '62.

Hey Cosmitron, What's up?

I think the answer is that if the SG is a 60's or 61 reissue the neck joint is at the 22nd fret. Most if not all later models have the neck joint at the 19th fret giving them a longer, sturdier neck joint. If I remember right the longer neck joints started around '62.

You're right.

And again I think you were right before (with the youtube vid :D ). It won't break just like that anyway, even if adrenaline on stage can make you do things you won't think you'll do.. anyway.

I came too late on both SG custom auctions, and they both been sold for 1500€. So now I'm holding my breath until another good price shows up. (Damned!)

Besides there's a neat Ebony SG3 for sale at a decent price. Apart from the standard finish and the rotary switch, I can't see any other major difference with the custom. Do the Custom sports Honduran Mahogany ?

BTW, I've read most of the pages of this topic trying to find answers, and I've seen the sg3 singlecoil routing picture. It has a long tenon (that still differs from the 60's SG Custom wider long tenon) and it is routed for humbuckers (or it does really look like it is), so mduke22 should be able to mod his guitar to 3HBs with no harm :)

hey cosmo

i think the sg 3 is the same except for the binding around neck and switch. The "57"s are great pickups... ...The necks may be thicker on the sg 3 but i am not sure..That ebony one you speak of on ebay has been on ebay for quite a while , the price i think was 1200 but has dropped down.Its a good deal if its in decent condition..The sg 3 heritage(cherry finish) seem to be harder to find, although i found mine on craigs list by typing gibson in for search, and i had to drive two hours but well worth it as it was mint and only 1k usa, which is a good deal. The pickup selection switch on the OLDER sg customs are bridge is bridge, middle is bridge and middle, neck is neck and middle....I can list the selections for the 6 way switch later if you like...

dawg hows the shred lessons goig ? drop me a email i cleared it out and lost your address..hope your rockin the house down there....

tom

cosmitron- I think you should wait it out and go for the white custom you wanted! They're excellent!

Yeah. Unlike most people I know, I admit my very first criteria for gas is the look of the guitar. I don't need a 3hb guitar. But I really can imagine me with the white custom. Go figure. :)

Besides, though it's an excellent idea, I couldn't use the rotary pot. [rolleyes]