Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage vs New

Hoss

Rather than highjack another thread, which is my typcal approach, I thought I'd ask the question outright:

Which do you prefer? (And I'm only curious about acoustics.)

I have both vintage and new guitars. I believe some of my 'best' guitars are new, but they don't have the advantage that 70 years of aging provides to wood. John Greven told me once that it takes 10 years before you know what you've got (when considering newer acoustic guitars.)

IMO, some of this is just what you get used to playing and hearing. I've been playing a newer L-00 a lot, even with a good sounding '36 L-00 as an option. The new one is not as lively or open, but I've gotten used to it's sound qualities. Last week we had a few 'big' gigs (for me), and I took the new L-00 to both of them.

If you like vintage guitars, what are you willing to pay (as a premium) for them? I'm thinking that 2X what a new one costs is about right. But for some models/years, that ration seems to be increasing.

Older guitars have a lot going for them. If they weren't built right to begin with, they'll never make it to BE an old guitar. Hurdle #1 dealt with.

The drawback is that in addition to being "old" it needs to have been played. My father always "holy grailed" an under the bed Gibson from the Forties, the owner having died in WW2 and the family keeping it in the closet. Pffffttttt! Probably sounds a lot like a new one.

I think as to cost, I would have a hard time paying more for an old one than a comparable new one. Not saying I wouldn't, I would just have a hard time. I bought my '64 SJ for $350 when a new Bird (closest thing) was around $1199. I haven't followed the values but it wouldn't surprise me if the SJ would sell for nearly as much as a new 'Bird or Crow. I bought my '89 J200 in 2006 for $1950, which admittedly was $300 or $400 more than what it cost new in '89 but still cheaper than a new one. And I purposely bought it because of the sycamore. I was prepared to drop $3000 for a late 60s J200 but the '89 jumped out at me first.

I have a bunch of both. I guess the fact that I play the newer guitars most (less than ten years old) indicates my preference.

I think ego and a perception of exclusivity drive the vintage market more than the actual tone of the guitars. Obviously, nothing sounds quite like an original '62 strat or a '32 Gibson - but for fifteen thousand less you can get a new guitar that sounds pretty fine - so why sell a kidney?

i just passed on a '54 J45 at 4500.00 (offered 3500). figured, instead, i'd get my home painted, pick up that flat screen for the bedroom, look into some health insurance and put a few bucks aside for a new car down payment. oh, and be happy with the great newer guitars i have.

I am constantly amazed by the tone and sustain I hear daily from my dads late 40,s LG-2 !

IMO, no guitar that small should ever sound as powerfull or have such a rich bass.

While I have really enjoyed my new and almost new guitar purchases, it seems to me that there is no process to duplicate 25 or more years of constant play.

whether or not an old guitar has been played,

it still gets vintage sounding.

the wood still drys and the lacquer still crystalizes.

quality of tone is your achievement. ive played a lot of well worn student models that

put solid ones to shame, but they both had vintage tones, which is the

best thing they got going for them...and they smell like old comic books.

other than that, i think newer guitars usually do some better.

I have a Maui Wowie (2006) and expect that with play in 5 - 10 years it will be better than it is now. It has a very clear balanced sound, it expect with a little age it will deepen and mellow. New eventually gets old.

For what an Original Advanced Jumbo would run me, I can likely put almost all four of my kids through college. I think I will stay with my 2005 AJ! =P~ It sounds really good and someday either me or my kids will have a "Vintage" Gibson. I will say that my 1993 Taylor only keeps getting better with age and playing. As someone above put it, some guitars just arn't made to last.... others are made from trees that really wanted to be guitars instead! I am pretty sure both my Gibby and my Taylor are from that type of wood.

I like the old ones. I don't claim that they are objectively better, though. I just have a sentimental preference for guitars that have been played for sevearl decades and have musical stories to tell. Here are my Gibsons, starting back left with a 1906 A and ending front right with a 1943 SJ:

2080326320033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

I've spent the past year locating and interviewing the women who worked at Gibson during WWII. Taht experience has only cemented my preference for old guitars.

Beautiful looking guitars, John! Love that Century of yours-- and the SJ looks like it's in amazing condition.

IMO, If you're into vintage guitars, Gibsons are still a bargain, compared to their Martin Counterparts. I know that prices have shot up over the last few years,and people grumble about paying $3500 for an L-00 that 4 years ago cost about a quarter of that. But compare the L-00 to a Martin 30's era 00-18- or god forbid, an OM!!

Janus,

Thanks! I did the X-rays for my Banner Gibsons book. I simply wanted to document the differences between pre-, post-, and during-war Gibsons. I actually found measurable differences. The University where I teach has given me free reign of the X-ray machines. It's been great fun and I'm planning a lot more X-raying this summer.

Here are the innards of my SJ:

2572637030033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

I have played a boatload of old guitars, and I think there is a tone and vibe that only comes with age. But my guitar is a newish Crow, and it's good enough. It is better built, IMO, and doesn't need any work.

The half dozen '62-'63 C&W 's that I've been priviledged to play all sounded better--actually much better in some cases--but good enough is still good enough, and I am confident the Crow will stand with them in time. I may be in a nursing home, but it will come around some day, I have no doubt. In the meantime it is still a better guitar than I am player.

I have played a boatload of old guitars' date=' and I think there is a tone and vibe that only comes with age. But my guitar is a newish Crow, and it's good enough. It is better built, IMO, and doesn't need any work.

The half dozen '62-'63 C&W 's that I've been priviledged to play all sounded better--actually much better in some cases--but good enough is still good enough, and I am confident the Crow will stand with them in time. I may be in a nursing home, but it will come around some day, I have no doubt. In the meantime it is still a better guitar than I am player.[/quote']

I figure my grandson - he's 10 - will get the maximum benefit from my '04 'Bird.

Archived