Gibson Brands Forums

Nothing like a Les Paul

tepidy

Hello to everyone in this excellent forum. Hope everyone had a great memorial day and took a little time to pray for our soldiers. Had a lot of time this weekend to play my various guitars (all which are top notch). Once again I come to the undeniable conclusion that Gibson Les Pauls are the best guitars hands down. They are the most versatile and diverse guitars on the planet. The craftsmanship and electronics absoulutely are outstanding especially on the custom shop models and of course the vintage pieces are untouchable and in a class of thier own. Thank you Gibson USA for so many decades of producing fine instruments.

I fully agree!

Funny story, actually. I recently decided to see what I could do to my Les Paul to "renew" my interest in it. When I first bought it, I knew it had just fantastic sound. However, the looks of it were much to be desired. The finish, although I am a fan of shiny alternatives, was not suiting me like it should have. Also, a while back it had black hardware on it. After a short period of time I felt that I was just keeping it to say I had a Les Paul, instead of feeling like I had a real piece of artwork.

My wonderful woman bought me a tube amp, which led me to the conclusion that the Paul is indeed the best sounding guitar on the planet.

I replaced the hardware with creme-colored appointments. Which took it a step closer to a real classic looking Les Paul.

Finally, I got fed up with the bright colored red burst almost instantly fading to a bland yellow middle. Also, the finish was a little TOO satin. I polished it, to a great extent, with plain ol carnauba wax. It brought the shine to what I would imagine a very well used/maintained glossy Les Paul would look like. Then, I let it sunbathe for, basically, a week straight. 10 hours in the sun per day, making sure not to overheat. Mellowed out the burst and brought out the maple grain significantly.

Now I feel like I have a real unique Les Paul. I wouldn't sell it if I had to!

I fully agree!

Funny story' date=' actually. I recently decided to see what I could do to my Les Paul to "renew" my interest in it. When I first bought it, I knew it had just fantastic sound. However, the looks of it were much to be desired. The finish, although I am a fan of shiny alternatives, was not suiting me like it should have. Also, a while back it had black hardware on it. After a short period of time I felt that I was just keeping it to say I had a Les Paul, instead of feeling like I had a real piece of artwork.

My wonderful woman bought me a tube amp, which led me to the conclusion that the Paul is indeed the best sounding guitar on the planet.

I replaced the hardware with creme-colored appointments. Which took it a step closer to a real classic looking Les Paul.

Finally, I got fed up with the bright colored red burst almost instantly fading to a bland yellow middle. Also, the finish was a little TOO satin. I polished it, to a great extent, with plain ol carnauba wax. It brought the shine to what I would imagine a very well used/maintained glossy Les Paul would look like. Then, I let it sunbathe for, basically, a week straight. 10 hours in the sun per day, making sure not to overheat. Mellowed out the burst and brought out the maple grain significantly.

Now I feel like I have a real unique Les Paul. I wouldn't sell it if I had to![/quote']

ALL THAT AND NO PICS? [cool]

They are the most versatile and diverse guitars on the planet.

That is subjective...not gonna start an arguement on the topic but......

I may be getting my first Gibson LP in the near future. I played 3 LP traditional models this weekend. All 3 felt different. It all depends on my pending separation/divorce. How bout them apples? I may be the first guy in history to actually BUY a new guitar after my divorce instead of selling off anything from my collection [cool]

In all seriousness, I'd rather have a happy marriage than a new guitar.

ALL THAT AND NO PICS? [-(

Here is the same guitar as mine.. This isn't a picture of mine personally' date= but it looked the exact same. As you can see the burst has no real gradual change, it pretty much just cut off like this one..

031A.jpg

Aaaaand after:

4589274884_f7d79a85f6.jpg

4504680772_6740308018.jpg

4588375850_31030049cb.jpg

4588375798_774815d97d.jpg

I gotta agree, I love my Les Paul.

Although there are a few things i will complain about every once in a blue moon or so, nobody will ever hear me say I dislike or hate my guitar.

The only thing i really have a problem with off the top of my head is the heel, i would like to have a contoured neck.

Either way there are so many different features solid, chambered different hardware basically any color you want it.

the thing im most glad about though is the faded option. Dont get me wrong i love a guitar with a good shine but i always find finger prints ALL OVER my guitar which drives me nuts with an epiphone SG i got.

Once again only small insignificant problems, other than that i love LP's and there jus one a them classics even someone who doesnt know crap about guitars can see an LP and say hey thats a les paul.

Archived