Gibson Brands Forums

Lucky Stars

Buc McMaster

On the evening of August 28, 2005 I was kicking around a few lines, trying to write a song. It centered around one thought I'd scribbled down, you better pray our lucky stars will intervene. I was initially working around the idea of a failing relationship, and how it would take the intervention of luck to make things right. At 10pm I flipped on the news and was watching coverage of the approach of Hurricane Katrina.......New Orleans was going to take a hit. And it struck me that in the face of the storm, the people of the city needed their lucky stars to step up. The song just fell out on the paper as the televison blared the bad news. On the morning of August 29, 2005, Katrina ripped up New Orleans.

This morning I rolled out of bed, drank a cup of courage and sat down in front of my little Sony camera....... This is a good example of my songwriting style: very simple guitar parts and image-provoking lyrics. I never have thought myself much of a guitarist, but I do think I can sometimes fetch a melody and write a good line.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMXauWIfpE[/YOUTUBE]

Lucky Stars copyright 2005 MBB

Those that could left days ago

But leavin's not an option for most folks I know

We're just watchin' it come, baby, they say this is the one, baby

But we'll stand here at the Alamo

There's no where to hide, baby, it's too late for tryin' to run

Come the morning tide, baby, everything you see is gonna be undone

Even old Mr Johnson say it's the baddest storm he ever seen

You better pray our lucky stars will intervene

Those that could lived to tell

Of wind and water driven from hell

In the desperate darkness, baby, the saints and the heartless, baby

They all danced with Jezebel

On the evening of August 28' date=' 2005 I was kicking around a few lines, trying to write a song. It centered around one thought I'd scribbled down, [i']you better pray our lucky stars will intervene.[/i] I was initially working around the idea of a failing relationship, and how it would take the intervention of luck to make things right. At 10pm I flipped on the news and was watching coverage of the approach of Hurricane Katrina.......New Orleans was going to take a hit. And it struck me that in the face of the storm, the people of the city needed their lucky stars to step up. The song just fell out on the paper as the televison blared the bad news. On the morning of August 29, 2005, Katrina ripped up New Orleans.

This morning I rolled out of bed, drank a cup of courage and sat down in front of my little Sony camera....... This is a good example of my songwriting style: very simple guitar parts and image-provoking lyrics. I never have thought myself much of a guitarist, but I do think I can sometimes fetch a melody and write a good line.

Simple....but good. Nice melody and nice lyrics.

Buc,

Simply put — you are a very talented artist. Really enjoyed the tune.

Great lyrics, with solid guitar work that helps set the mood and tell the story and a very nice sounding voice. During the years I lived in Texas, I saw more singer-songwriters than I can remember. I often found that my favorites were those that had the combination of skills that you exhibit. Honest to God, if you were appearing at the Cactus Cafe when I was living in Austin, I would have gotten in line early to grab a good seat.

All the best,

Guth

Michael,

my dear friend,

Two things I will tell you here:

1. You don't need to drink cups of courage anymore.

2. Sit down in front of your little Sony camera more and more often, please.

The song is veeeeery good, your voice and your guitar just fit together. The lyrics are - well the are your lyrics and here I must not say anything for I am in love with everything you write [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

This is a great one!

Go on and film the next song, please.

Honest to God' date=' if you were appearing at the Cactus Cafe when I was living in Austin, I would have gotten in line early to grab a good seat.[/quote']

Thank you, Guth, I do appreciate that. I never have and never will have the guitar chops to be much of a solo guy on stage anywhere. With a hotshot guitarist to carry the instrumental load, maybe...... As Dirty Harry once said, a man's got to know his limitations, and I certainly know mine!

Thanks to all for your compliments! I'll keep tryin'!

Nicely done. I enjoyed that. I particularly enjoy music that is real, and simple. You don't need a band to sound good. All you need is performer who is into his music and put his heart into it............Writing songs is kind of crazy. We all have those times when our brains just seem to freeze-up on us and we can't find a line anywhere. Then, out-of-the-blue comes a lyric that is exactly what we needed. It might even take the song in a different direction from where we thought we wanted to go (and that original direction might be the reason we were not going...lol). A few months ago I finally finished writing four songs that had been "works in progress" for years ( I mean several years). Totally unexpected, ideas for each song came to me and I finished them all within a couple of weeks. Crazy. Hard to explain.....I ain't no Kristofferson, but I have a blast writing and playing.[biggrin]

Archived