Gibson Brands Forums

What would you like to add to your current stable?

Realistically, my next guitar will either be a Gibson Les Paul Traditional in either Honeyburst or Iced Tea burst or Ibanez PGM. I will probably end up with the LP. BUT, if money was no matter it woul be a Ken Lawrence explorer with either a Hawaiian Koa or Walnut top.

05-311869400-5.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Realistically' date=' my next guitar will either be a Gibson Les Paul Traditional in either Honeyburst or Iced Tea burst or Ibanez PGM. I will probably end up with the LP. BUT, if money was no matter it woul be a Ken Lawrence explorer with either a Hawaiian Koa or Walnut top.

[img']http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/ishibashi-shibuya/cabinet/guitar15/05-311869400-5.jpg[/img]

Man id take one of those with no EMG's. [biggrin]

Though ive read on the b.c. rich forum people getting mad cause the headstock is to big and keeps breaking. [crying]

So you might wana think twice. [lol]

Well' date=' I wasn't putting you down, or anythng. Just curious. I too, have more guitars, and amps, than I need....

but, I DO use them all...to varying degrees. With some, it depends on the music, others...my mood, or tone

needs, and still others just have a certain place in my heart...my '64 Strat, for one, which as a gift from my

(now deceased) Mom, on my 14th birthday...46 years ago. :>) So, I understand...

And, I've sold off, several guitars, in the past...that I wish now, I had not! So, I have a tendency, also...to now

hang on to stuff, as well. ;>)

CB[/quote']

No offense taken. You asked a question, I answered it.

I'd love to see your '64 strat. The guitar in this pic is a '64 Strat. (I'm playin' the Jag)

Tarentels.jpg?t=1275849976

No offense taken. You asked a question' date=' I answered it.

I'd love to see your '64 strat. The guitar in this pic is a '64 Strat. (I'm playin' the Jag)

[img']http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/Newspaper%20Articles/Tarentels.jpg?t=1275849976[/img]

Ok...my 1964 "L" series, 3-tone Sunburst. It was my first electric guitar (all others prior, were borrowed).

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

The back access cover is a Fender re-placement. Otherwise, all original parts...save the selector

switch, which I have...but I put in a 5-way.

CB

Ok...my 1964 "L" series' date=' 3-tone Sunburst. It was my first electric guitar (all others prior, were borrowed).

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/DSC_0022.jpg[/img]

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

The back access cover is a Fender re-placement. Otherwise, all original parts...save the selector

switch, which I have...but I put in a 5-way.

CB

OMG! Do you even play it? It looks in incredible condition...must be worth a fortune. The Strat in my pic was stolen at a Chuck Berry concert in 1966. Roger replaced it with a Gretsch Country Gentleman, (by that time he was playin' rythm).

I love your Strat, I'm happy you never got rid of it.

OMG! Do you even play it? It looks in incredible condition...must be worth a fortune. The Strat in my pic was stolen at a Chuck Berry concert in 1966. Roger replaced it with a Gretsch Country Gentleman' date=' (by that time he was playin' rythm).

I love your Strat, I'm happy you never got rid of it.[/quote']

Thanks! Yeah, I play it, here at home, but not "out," much. I have a "Highway 1"

Strat, that does the bar/club duties, these days. I have been offered a lot of money

for it...but, for several reasons, it's "priceless," to me.

I too, have a (1966) Gretsch Country Gentleman. It's in amazing condition EXCEPT for

the legendary "binding rot!" I'm in the process of trying to get it re-bound. But, precious

few, want to tackle the job, for a "reasonable" fee. I think, though...I may have found

someone, in OKC, to do it. Hopefully, anyway. I'll post photos, when it's completed.

Cheers,

CB

CB- can you post some pics of your Gretsch?

I'd love to see it. Binding rot and all.

Sure...I just popped these off' date=' today...on my D-70, with on-camera flash (bounced).

So, they're kind of "quick and dirty," photowise. But, you'll get the idea...

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/DSC_0001.jpg[/img]

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

CB

Thanks, guys! Yep, she's "Special!" I don't (currently) play it, as every time I pick it up, more binding falls off.

And, there's a "short" in the circuit, somewhere...I think(?) it's a bad input jack. But, since it's going to be rebound,

shortly...I'll let the luthier fix that, as well. The last time I DID play it, the tone gave me "Goose bumps!" There

simply is nothing quite like it.

Original: Finish, all parts, except the bridge (I have the original, but replaced it with a Nashville), the tuner buttons

were replaced 30 years ago, with the "Stairstep" Art Deco buttons. The tuners themselves are original. The red

felt, ring around the mute lever button, is "my" addition. So, those are the only "mods" so to speak.

It has been "babied," especially recently, due to the all too common binding rot. But, she plays like a dream,

and sounds even better!

CB

Me...1966 (age 16), with my New Country Gent! (Still had the original butter bean tuner buttons, then.)

08-20-2008122537PM.jpg

Wow nice Gretsch CB! We seem to have similar taste in guitars.

I really love that old Gretsch sound. Especially through a Vox. I'm a big Beatles fan so that tone drives me loco LOL.

I played this Gretsch that had two funky switch things. One raised a sort of felt padded mute under the EAD and the other did the same with the GBE strings. I thought it was cool but I couldn't get it to sound good at all. I guess there's a trick to it. I think it was a Chet Atkins guitar.

I really have loved every old Gretsch that I've had the opportunity to play.

Thanks for the pics and PM!

Wow nice Gretsch CB! We seem to have similar taste in guitars.

I really love that old Gretsch sound. Especially through a Vox. I'm a big Beatles fan so that tone drives me loco LOL.

I played this Gretsch that had two funky switch things. One raised a sort of felt padded mute under the EAD and the other did the same with the GBE strings. I thought it was cool but I couldn't get it to sound good at all. I guess there's a trick to it. I think it was a Chet Atkins guitar.

I really have loved every old Gretsch that I've had the opportunity to play.

Thanks for the pics and PM!

Yeah, some of the earlier (and newer reissue) Gretsches have a "double mute" system.

George Harrison's did....both of them. His first, had knobs (like the tone and volume knobs)

that wound up the mutes. His second one, the one we're all the "most" familiar with, has the

more common "flip up," mute/lever knobs.

Mine, being a '66, only had the single mute. But..frankly, I never used the mute,

at all. I "palm mute," of course, but I never used the built in one. Some '66 versions

had a "Super Tron" (Bladed poles) in the neck position. Probably, the later versions, of

that year. Mine is stock, with the 2 Filtertrons.

The current Gretsch 6122-62, is based on George's 2nd Country Gent. ;>)

CB

Interesting. The mute seemed to dampen the strings a bit too much for me. I feel like I could palm mute more easily and with more control. I'm sure it has reasonable applications though.

I'm listening to "Long, Long, Long" right now. I love that song.

"Julia" might be my favorite song to play on guitar ever.

Archived