Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll take the Gibson quality.

In my experience, out of my basses, Fender has made the best basses that are play-ready when I got them.

I have never had so much trouble just getting a bass up and running as I have had with my SG Bass. But I am keeping it because the next issue (which I think may require fret levelling), should get it going fine.

I love the wood and the finish. And the shortscale is great for me. But the pup was bad (warranty replacement done), and I get bad notes, that need fixing (frets at bad heights?). The Gibson ser guy is gonna look at it and let me know. He says bad fret heights are par for the course these days with Gibson, Pleking or no pleking.

Man, I don't know what to tell you. The Gibsons I've had lately have been out of the box perfect. The one I have now is the SG Std. that was in the back room still packed from the Gibson factory. I do know about the Fenders also, like you said. I don't believe in bad luck, but your SG Std. has not been quite right since you received it. If I remember, my SG and yours are a day apart on the stamp date. The Sam Ash I got mine from has a Faded SG Std., and another SG Std. H.C. that are fine also.

Me Too - I have 4 Gibsons, and have never had an issue with any. I don't have anything bad to say about my Fenders - they play well and sound er......, well - like Fenders, and although the quality is very good, they just don't compare to a Gibson. I like the tone of that mahogany, and I like set necks. I like heavy bridges and a lacquer finish. So when you compare all that - I think you get a bigger bang for the buck with a Gibson over an American Fender. I'm just saying............

Me Too - I have 4 Gibsons, and have never had an issue with any. I don't have anything bad to say about my Fenders - they play well and sound er......, well - like Fenders, and although the quality is very good, they just don't compare to a Gibson. I like the tone of that mahogany, and I like set necks. I like heavy bridges and a lacquer finish. So when you compare all that - I think you get a bigger bang for the buck with a Gibson over an American Fender. I'm just saying............

[thumbup]

I agree totally. The quality of my SG Std. is better than Fenders I've had. In 43 years, I've had Fenders come and go.

• 2 weeks later...

Im just joking around. Don't listen to me. Just go with your heart.

Actually, I think Precisions sound much better than SG basses. More clarity, and better sustain. More punch. I like the Pbass tone the best.

But I do enjoy the SG for it's shortscale, beautiful looks, and it has a good tone in it's own voice.

Archived