Gibson Brands Forums

Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought this about 10 years ago off ebay, before they got popular again and soared out of my reach. It needed a complete fretjob and new guts - one pickup died after a month. It also had no pivot plate and the headpiece was pulling out. I took it to Peekamoose, which was the official Steinberger repair shop when they were in production, and had it restored. New frets (perfect job-this was pre-PLEK mind you), new pickups (EMG HB neck, HBCS bridge)run passive V-V-T and headpiece reset. I also found the correct pivot plate with the original mounting hardware (impossible these days). It now plays and sounds like it just rolled off the line.

It truly is a unique and innovative approach to bass, so much so that if I want to gig it I have to play it for a couple of days to get used to it. But it sounds incredible. According to the Steinberger World database this particular one was a NAMM bass. I don't play it very often, but when I do I feel very lucky to have it.

85XL2_CU-A.jpg

Rumble Bee 32 done. Basket case 1983 Aria Pro II CSB-300.

RumbleBee031.jpg

Ford Chrome Yellow / Hipshot Rickenbacker Bridge / Gibson TB+ humbucker @ bridge / Lace Alumitone Deathbucker @ neck / 500k pots / Push-Pull vol pot (to kick in bridge pup) / DR Black Beauties / Grover Strap-locks.

That turned out Great! Looks beautiful. Now, does it play? [thumbup]

She plays and sounds fantastic. The action is very low, and I haven't done the final neck tweaking yet. I love the 32" scale - almost effortless. I still can't believe how good this thing plays and sounds, and to think I was going to throw it out a while back..... I have less money in this than any bass I've ever owned, but it's already becoming a favorite.

She plays and sounds fantastic. The action is very low, and I haven't done the final neck tweaking yet. I love the 32" scale - almost effortless. I still can't believe how good this thing plays and sounds, and to think I was going to throw it out a while back..... I have less money in this than any bass I've ever owned, but it's already becoming a favorite.

One of those (in unmodded form, of course) was my first bass! I still have it, actually. Great instrument. Matsumoku made a lot of really nice instruments over the years. They were owned by Singer and primarily made sewing machine cabinets, but the instruments they made on the side for various manufacturers were often excellent. I love the neck-through instruments they made for Aria in the early 80's. They made a neck-through "Super-Strat" that's hard to beat even now.

-Rob

One of those (in unmodded form, of course) was my first bass! I still have it, actually. Great instrument. Matsumoku made a lot of really nice instruments over the years. They were owned by Singer and primarily made sewing machine cabinets, but the instruments they made on the side for various manufacturers were often excellent. I love the neck-through instruments they made for Aria in the early 80's. They made a neck-through "Super-Strat" that's hard to beat even now.

-Rob

I had neck-through Aria 550 "Tri-Sound", and an Integra bass in the 80's - both very nice basses, and not inexpensive as I recall...

The Warmoth projects I've put together over the years. I think they're great instruments. I feel it's like having a Custom Shop boutique quality bass exactly how I want it for a fraction of the cost, and that appeals to me greatly. I enjoy every one of these basses to no end and all for different reasons. They all sing.

First up is a Black Korina P body w/Quilt cap/all Bird'seye Maple J neck. EMG P/J w/BTC@18v, BAII bridge, Schaller BMFL tuners. One of the best Bluebursts I've seen. This was my first Warmoth. It's the one I compare all my basses to for playability.

warblucu2a.jpg

This one was done a number of years ago. Mahogany body Dinky P w/4A carved Quilt top/all Macassar Ebony neck w/abalone dots. Fralin P & SDCS alnico MM (one of the first outboard MM pickups available); Aguilar OBP-3@18v; Schaller bridge & BMFL tuners; Q-Parts Abalone knobs. This bass sounds and plays like a graphite neck - very focused, great tone.

bigdinka.jpg

A better pic on the way (taken with a phone on a gig). Shell pink Alder body/all Maple blocked and bound neck; passive DiMarzio NOS 70's PAF J pickups from an unopened box, Stacker V-T setup, all Fender 62RI hardware. The PG is Pink Champagne Sparkle, just like the old Ludwig drums from the 60's. One of my favorites.

pinkaed.jpg

The latest one is an Alder body Jazz/Maple neck w/blocked Ebony board & vintage tint; Nordstrand Big Singles run passive V-T-V-T, Hipshot A bridge and HB-3 Kluson tuners; Q-Parts Red Abalone knobs. These pickups are amazing.

candyfullfr1a.jpg

295408_10150911022988525_2026248758_n.jpg

And hey BSB - that's a very nice selection of Gibbys. I had all of those except the standard LP - mine is a 96 LPB-3.

Though I liked my RD Artist a lot, I never got into the circuitry. I always felt it sounded wonderful just passive - I wish Gibson would reintroduce those particular pickups and not the Moog nonsense.

The '76 G3 I had was excellent. Surprisingly heavy because of the maple. It did sound great - the single coils put it closest to the Fender flexibility. Nice slim neck too. Just didn't bond.

The one I miss most is the '00 TBird I had (in white). Awesome bass - I got it practically new. One of the best Rock & Roll basses I ever had and could still back down to great tones. I'd bring it to wedding gigs and watch people raise their eyebrows (it didn't look very coservative after all). Then do Sinatra, Bennet, and later rock the house.

If you have more basses of different brands go ahead and show 'em! We're all admiring whatever tools you got!

And hey BSB - that's a very nice selection of Gibbys. I had all of those except the standard LP - mine is a 96 LPB-3.

Though I liked my RD Artist a lot, I never got into the circuitry. I always felt it sounded wonderful just passive - I wish Gibson would reintroduce those particular pickups and not the Moog nonsense.

The '76 G3 I had was excellent. Surprisingly heavy because of the maple. It did sound great - the single coils put it closest to the Fender flexibility. Nice slim neck too. Just didn't bond.

The one I miss most is the '00 TBird I had (in white). Awesome bass - I got it practically new. One of the best Rock & Roll basses I ever had and could still back down to great tones. I'd bring it to wedding gigs and watch people raise their eyebrows (it didn't look very coservative after all). Then do Sinatra, Bennet, and later rock the house.

If you have more basses of different brands go ahead and show 'em! We're all admiring whatever tools you got!

I only own Gibbys at the moment, im only playing R&R and theyre all i need to do the job- although i have pics from prev basses ive owned but i shalln't bore you :D

The RD is lovely, most people seem to have gone against it (on Basschat.co.uk atleast) but i hold a position for it as the shape is alot like the T'Bird i love, the hardware is 'old school' with modern standards and the pickups give me the feel of a Jazz back in my hands. a real nice deepness to this bass.

The T'Bird? well, you should all know why i own this beaut' ;)

The 76/77 G3 i got from a trade with my EB Musicman SR5 as i never touched the B string as much as i planned.

A real nice retro bass, a bit of aging on it but damn, so much nicer than the latest "tribute". There's just something about old guitars that you cannot replicate on a new piece of wood.

When and if i get more, i shall share them with you *cough*Explorer faded*cough cough*

Archived