Gibson Brands Forums

Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rosewood board doesn't look to bad. I also just like the grain in the body too. these are Sweetwater Guitar photos of my SG before it shipped. I had a choice of this or another

very nice! I like this walnut better than the walnut of the 70s.

Thanks Ramone; This is a Mahogany Body. Were the Walnut bodies of the 70's real Walnut? If they were the grain in the body would be different. The real Walnut would be more brown, and maybe darker in color too.

Thanks Ramone; This is a Mahogany Body. Were the Walnut bodies of the 70's real Walnut? If they were the grain in the body would be different. The real Walnut would be more brown, and maybe darker in color too.

I have a '72 and it has a mahogany body and a maple neck. the bodies were a bit thicker and heavier than the earlier (and more popular) models. the stain was a lot darker, almost opaque but you can see the grain through it, not necessarily in this pic though.

72eb-3-1.jpg

That looks great!!!! My 1969 EB0 had the same thicker, or at least less roused edges to it. I forgot how much darker the finish was on the earlier EB Series were. Sorry, they'll always be EB, not SG's for me anyway. I should've done the EB3L back then.

I have a '72 and it has a mahogany body and a maple neck. the bodies were a bit thicker and heavier than the earlier (and more popular) models. the stain was a lot darker, almost opaque but you can see the grain through it, not necessarily in this pic though.

72eb-3-1.jpg

Very nice Ramone! It's hard to find one that clean.

Very nice Ramone! It's hard to find one that clean.

thanks Kelvinator. I bought it from a friend back in '75 or '76 for $175. there's a bit of rash on the back and a few dings, but I tried my best to baby it. it was my one and only until about 10 years ago when I started surfing ebay and bass forums. [razz]

and gsg, I still call 'em EBs too!

Thanks again guys. I've had Heritage Cherry for 44 - 45 years, they still look great, but I just like the looks of the Walnut. For me it's a real change. Mabel does sound magnificent.

Hi,

New from CT. Here is my 1965 EB-0. I've owned since new, the serial # is almost unreadable, starts with 00??26 something like that.

It was originally Cherry finish. I stripped it ( I know!) and then put at least 20 coats of Minwax polyurethane which I hand rubbed with 0000 steel wool between each coat. I've recently had it refurbished with new German steel frets, new nut and the fingerboard has been lightly sanded to even out the valley's I put in it from long use of Rotosound round wounds. I would like to change out the pickup but keep the original look. I want a brighter sound, less Mudbucker, better intonation. Should I also look into changing the bridge? Interested in any and all comments.

Thanks

John

post-63279-076114600 1391964123_thumb.jpg

post-63279-054428700 1391964593_thumb.jpg

post-63279-012459000 1391964648_thumb.jpg

post-63279-078574800 1391964702_thumb.jpg

Hi,

New from CT. Here is my 1965 EB-0. I've owned since new, the serial # is almost unreadable, starts with 00??26 something like that.

It was originally Cherry finish. I stripped it ( I know!) and then put at least 20 coats of Minwax polyurethane which I hand rubbed with 0000 steel wool between each coat. I've recently had it refurbished with new German steel frets, new nut and the fingerboard has been lightly sanded to even out the valley's I put in it from long use of Rotosound round wounds. I would like to change out the pickup but keep the original look. I want a brighter sound, less Mudbucker, better intonation. Should I also look into changing the bridge? Interested in any and all comments.

Thanks

John

Hello John. That's nice! Looking really good too! [thumbup] Great grain on your Axe.

Hello John. That's nice! Looking really good too! [thumbup] Great grain on your Axe.

Thanks Road Rex,

I really love the wood they used on these instruments, I felt that the mahogany was being hidden with the cherry stain.

John

Hi,

Thanks

John

I just finished a little research and found that my bass is an early '67 model due to the wider mounting arms and felt muting slide as well as the inlaid pearl crown logo is centered in the headstock. Interesting stuff to be found here.

I just ordered this Jazz, to take the place of the Precision, I sold off to acquire the SG Std. I wanted to have a Fretted 34" long scale, along with the SG Std. short scale. I prefer playing Jazzes, over Precisions anyway. [thumbup]

I just ordered this Jazz, to take the place of the Precision, I sold off to acquire the SG Std. I wanted to have a Fretted 34" long scale, along with the SG Std. short scale. I prefer playing Jazzes, over Precisions anyway. [thumbup]

Sweet looking, should be a smooth player. I've got a '75 reissue Jazz Bass in all natural and it is my favorite.

post-63279-029055500 1392143704_thumb.jpg

Archived