Gibson Brands Forums

Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was trying a couple of other names to see if I could use them better. I'm back to the original name.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this.

Could you please enlighten me as to what you mean by using your username better.

It may also be of help to other forum users to know if they are using their usernames to their full advantage.

What's the profile neck like?

It's 1.75" at the nut. The nut is machined brass. The back of the neck has been shaved, so it's wide but not that totally thick. The fretboard is like an American Standard maple. A Clear Gloss Lacquer on it. Fender stamped tuners. D'Addario Nickel 45,65,85,105 strings.

That's the real Roger Waters sig. on each bass. I really don't think the brass nut brightens it up any. The Seymour Duncan Basslines SPB-3 Quater Pound pup sounds great. I've had a lot of J and P Basses, but not with the feel and the sound this one puts out. No on the J Bass, had to choose between the two, the R.W. P Bass won out when i played it. I was so impressed by it at the store, I played with a strap to see how it felt playing while standing up. I don't remember ever doing that with any bass in 42 years playing.

It looks like I'll finally own a Fender soon. It's a Road Worn MIM 50s replica. I'm not big on the whole road worn thing, but the neck is really big, which I like. It will be an interesting changeup in sound, feel, and everything else from the Gibson and Epi, but the neck is round enough to feel good. I'm not a big fan of flattened out modern Fender necks.

My Roger Waters P Bass is an MIM. I compared it to an American Standard P Bass. It looked as good craftsmanship wise, and had a better sound I thought with the Seymour Duncan Basslines SPB-3 Quater Pound pup. I'm not crazy with the Road Worn Series as well. The neck and wide fretboard is good, and very playable. Even with small hands and fingers.

My Roger Waters P Bass is an MIM. I compared it to an American Standard P Bass. It looked as good craftsmanship wise, and had a better sound I thought with the Seymour Duncan Basslines SPB-3 Quater Pound pup. I'm not crazy with the Road Worn Series as well. The neck and wide fretboard is good, and very playable. Even with small hands and fingers.

Agreed. The profile of the '50s neck is more rounded, like a Gibson or Epi, which is probably why I like it. They had a non-relic one, but the poly on the neck felt sticky, so I went with the goofy looking fake age job. Can't really look at a bass when you are playing it, right?

My Gibson is shiny nitro, and it feels great. It is still shiny after 43 years of being played. My Epi has thick, shiny poly on the neck, and it feels pretty good, too. Maybe Fender uses some other kind of shiny poly, since it feels awful. The nitro (so they say) on the Road Worn neck feels much more like a matte finish on MIA Fenders and even a bit like the poly on my Epiphone. It's all a mystery to me how it gets that way, but the fingers sure know when it is or isn't right.

Yeah man, that's about right. I know I should have brought my strap with me when I tried a new bass before taking it home. I brought my strap when I tried the R.W. Sitting on a stool playing doesn't always tell the whole story of a bass. I was happy the R. W. P Bass didn't cost that much either. Good luck with the Fender if you get it.

That's a nasty crack there Searcy... what kind of work does it need?

It's not really a crack. It's just a scratch in the wood that sort of looks like a crack. It's just a neck and body. I'm gonna strip it down to bare wood and finish it in clear nitro. I have tracked down all the parts I need accept for a tuner and a bridge saddle.

Here's the original ebay auction from when I bought it.

ebay.jpg

Archived