Gibson Brands Forums

Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a photo of the EB-2 in action, with the P waiting to be flogged in the background. The amp, behind me, is an original Acoustic 361 which sounds just as good as it does in nostalgic stories. The Gibson sounds completely amazing through the Acoustic, which is the exact same age.

Alley20013.jpg

Great looking EB2 partner. A good friend bought my EB0 in 1971 and ran it through an Acoustic 371 with the 18" speaker. That EB0 was fantastic through the Acoustic.

I'm pretty sure a Gibson bass through a vintage Acoustic amp was one of those matches made in heaven which only come along every so often. The EB-2 has a vintage DiMarzio One pickup in the neck position and the mud button is long gone. Whoever did the conversion did a pretty nice job and put a metal cap in the mud button's hole in the guitar top. It was all done before I got the bass in the early 1980s, and had been pounded on pretty hard, although the finish on the bass is very, very good. How you can beat up a pickup without beating up anything else is a mystery, but that's what seems to have happened.

The 361 is another story. I just got it from a friend up in BC. He found it in awful shape and restored it mechanically (electrically?). The original speaker has been reconed and a number of the electronic components have been replaced, including the monster capacitor which looks like a Foster's beer can. I think those huge capacitors may be a big contributor to why a solid state Acoustic sounds so much more like a tube amp than just about any other solid state equipment, but I don't know for sure. Acoustic amplifiers are my one peculiar brand loyalty, since they work so well, sound so good, and need absolutely no care and feeding other than keeping them out of the rain. The 126 combo I have had since 1981 needed its first bit of maintenance this year. It could have continued to work just fine, but I thought it was sounding a little ratty. The capacitors were beginning to break down a bit, although by all information I have seen, this should have happened about 10 years ago. Durability is great!

The combination of the 361 and the EB is a sound I have been looking for since about 1979. The P-Bass sounds great through the Acoustic as well. The other Acoustic amplifiers I have are very close to the same sound, but the original 361 is lightening in a bottle. Rumors have it that the latest version of the 361, which is just now being delivered, is even better sounding and more distinctive, but I haven't had a chance to hear one or play through one. I can't afford it, anyway, and the old stuff is good enough for what I do that I don't feel any need to change things. The one rig I haven't had a chance to try out for real is the 370 like the one your friend had through the 408 cabinet. It projects so well that I have never had an opportunity to really put it to the test. With that rig and the 361, it would be straight forward to control the 370 with the 360 preamp to drive both cabinets, or to split the signal and run them separately as a stereo rig. I'm pretty sure it would be audible for a couple miles, which is why it has never happened.

You sir are so right about those MONSTER ACOUSTICS. The bands that used Acoustic from 1969 and up sounded incredible. My bud that used the 371 had a lead player that played an SG Custom through an Acoustic 260 with that big 14" horn on top. Best of luck with your gear sir. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

It is truly amazing stuff. It is also truly amazingly heavy stuff. I recently got storage in a garage for my business, and the heavy air movers will live at grade with all my saws, job boxes, compressors, etc., instead of down in the basement. Hooray!

Archived