Gibson Brands Forums

Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neat basses! My first bass was a Hagstrom- with a padded back! That Kawai must be killer. [thumbup]

Thanks! I was very lucky indeed to grab that Hagstrom some years ago. It was just prior to the renewed interest phase and was basically off the radar. Nobody really knew what it was. I got it for what the pickups alone were worth. My research tells me they made less than 500 of them and I've only seen one other with B-S's. It wasn't in great shape at all and commanded some real money. Those Bi-Sonics are the bomb!!! They are what Fred Hammon's Dark Stars are based on. Huge sounding single coils. The most desirable Guilds also came with them (M-85 & Starfire) prior to going with their own HB's.

The Kawai is totally fun to play - another lucky grab. The Schaller p/u's are basically DiMarzios so they rock, and the graphite makes it sound very focused. It really cuts the mix and sounds very muscular.

Here's another one that you don't see very often. It's a '95 Trace Elliot T-Bass from the first year of production (double digit serial #). It was (incredibly) NOS, never sold and came with a flight case. An amazing modern sounding Jazz. The neck is very slim, the single coil p/u's are really hot with a dummy coil under the PG so no hum ever, active pre with bypass straight to the plug, and that proprietary trigonometry test peghead that puts the tuners right into your hand. Lots of wood got cut out to make that happen.

That Hagstro is cool. What is that rail looking thing under the pickups? Original Bi Sonics. Those are drooled over by people on the Guild Bass forum.

I call it the Towel Rack. If you look at the pic, directly under the rail is a lever that travels in an arc - this is the volume control. The rack protects it from being disturbed, and functions as a finger rest.

I was really lucky to get this one. I saw those Bi-Sonics and knew I had to have it. Hagstrom made later versions of it with their mini HB's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good looking Jazz Bass. I really like the look of the maple neck on the white body. [thumbup]

Thank you. I liked the basic look of the Olympic White Fender body, with the Maple board, since when I saw Hendrix with his one Strat. This jazz has the new Custom Shop 60's pups on it. I think it really does sound like a 60's Jazz. The action on it is great too. The D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewound strings go great with the 60's sound on it too.

A couple of my Warmoth builds:

Dinky P P/MM - Mahogany body w/4A maple cap, SD Custom Shop alnico MM, Fralin P, 18v OBP-3 pre, Macassar Ebony neck/fingerboard, Schaller bridge & full size tuners.

Jazz - Alder body, Maple neck w/blocked Ebony board & vintage tint, Nordstrand Big Singles run passive V-V-T-T, Hipshot A bridge & Vintage tuners, all Candy Apple Red with matching headstock.

The Dinky is like having a graphite neck made out of wood. The Ebony neck makes for a very focused attack and tone. Super clear and clean.

The Jazz - those Big Singles sound huge, big and meaty. Like a Jazz on steroids - I know that's been said many times, but these pickups really do it. They're the biggest single coils in one housing on the market and still manage to sound like a Jazz bass.

Both play very evenly across the entire neck and each provide a very unique and desirable character. Having either of these made for me would have easily cost 2-3 times what I have into them. I have 3 more Warmoths and each one sings.

Wow Will. That Dinky is absolutely gorgeous. You're making me want another bass. 4_14_6.gif

But right now I have 7 of them, and that's 5 too many. Over the last several years I've forced myself to sell some that I just didn't use, and I gave my son 3 of my former favorites (at least I can visit them). It seems lately (after a few mods) that I'm soooo happy with the sound of the '01 LP and the Double Cut, I rarely take the others off the wall. About once a month I think about ebaying a few, and that's as far as I get. But that Dinky! Geeez - you've got me thinking......

Wow Will. That Dinky is absolutely gorgeous. You're making me want another bass. 4_14_6.gif

But right now I have 7 of them, and that's 5 too many. Over the last several years I've forced myself to sell some that I just didn't use, and I gave my son 3 of my former favorites (at least I can visit them). It seems lately (after a few mods) that I'm soooo happy with the sound of the '01 LP and the Double Cut, I rarely take the others off the wall. About once a month I think about ebaying a few, and that's as far as I get. But that Dinky! Geeez - you've got me thinking......

Thanks man. I had bought the ebony neck a couple of years prior for another bass and decided to make it its own critter. So, the Dink was a BD present to myself. The pickups and bridge were already in the parts box, the rest acquired. It was worth the $$ and the wait.

You know, they've got Gibson body styles. You could always trick up a highly personalized custom for yourself, no constraints!

"You're making me want another bass..."

Always glad to help out!!! [thumbup][biggrin]

Thanks man. I had bought the ebony neck a couple of years prior for another bass and decided to make it its own critter. So, the Dink was a BD present to myself. The pickups and bridge were already in the parts box, the rest acquired. It was worth the $$ and the wait.

You know, they've got Gibson body styles. You could always trick up a highly personalized custom for yourself, no constraints!

"You're making me want another bass..."

Always glad to help out!!! [thumbup][biggrin]

Ya ain't helpin' me here! 36_1_6.gif

Archived