Gibson Brands Forums

String Recommendations

lockjawdavis

I know this subject has been explored before, but I could not find an active thread. I restrung my sorta new J-45 with Cleartones after I bought it, and was not impressed. Too brittle and bright for my taste and playing style (which is mostly chording/strumming). I've used Elixirs on other guitars and thought they were pretty good. Just wondered if anyone else had ideas of strings they've really gravitated toward. Just looking to explore.

Also, is there a gauge limit? Do medium+ strings put too much tension on the neck? I can't recall what gauge strings the J-45 came with.

As always, thanks for the suggestions

Your 45 came from the factory with light gauge Gibson strings, I'm sure. Most 12-54 sets are pretty much the same tension on the same guitar so your setup, if you like it, should not need to change. If you do change to mediums, which the guitar will handle just fine, you will likely need a truss rod tweak for relief adjustment.

As for brand/materials, string choice is a personal thing. Generally speaking, phosphor bronze is warmer than 80/20. What set strikes your ear the right way is a matter of experimentation. Also, give a test set two or three days playing time to let the brashness of new strings settle out........a few hours playing time will usually mellow the sound of new wires.

personally I dont like the Cleartones or Elixirs either, my brand of choice had always been Martin SP 13's PB, out of all the brands Ive tried those have always had the nicest tone and last the longest, I took a recommendation to try the GHS Laurence Juber Signature Bronze 13's so I just ordered 2 sets of those to try, I'll have to post a review after I try them,, this link has some of the best pricing on them too that Ive found

LINK

Thanks for the advice. The Cleartones did mellow after a week as I recall so I'll take that into consideration. I imagine I'll spend the next several months experimenting with a variety of brands and materials until I find something that hits the mark, so all of your suggestions are really appreciated.

I imagine I'll spend the next several months experimenting with a variety of brands and materials until I find something that hits the mark' date=' so all of your suggestions are really appreciated.[/quote']

thats the best thing for you to do,, so many choices though :) [blink][biggrin]

................. my brand of choice had always been Martin SP 13's PB' date=' out of all the brands Ive tried those have always had the nicest tone and last the longest,..........................

[ [/quote']

I like them too and use 12s on the SWD. They do sound rather brash to start off but, as has been said before, once "played in" (for me that's about a week) they sound great and stay that way for a surprisingly long time.

I have a J-50 and I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Light Guage strings. I also do not like Elixers, they are just too bright for my taste. I tried a couple of other brands but once I got the D'Addario's I was very satisfied. Good luck with your search !!

Just my .02...

I've never cared for coated strings. To my ears they just lack a certain vibrancy. (But if you go with coated, I think Elixirs beat out EXPs by a hair. Don't even think about Cleartones.)

I keep trying new strings, but I just can't get away from the ol' D'Addario EJ17 PB mediums. (That would be EJ16 if you're a light string kind of guy.) I know it's a common choice, but they sound great and last longer than any other string I've found.

I also really like John Pearse Medium Lights (720 ML), but they are a bit more expensive than the EJ17s and I don't think they last as long. I do love the smaller gauge on the E and A strings, though.

Guest rogerb

The Gibson factory puts Masterbuilt Premium on the new J-45's. The product code is SAG-MB12, Light .012 .016 .024w .032w .042w .053w

These strings can be purchased through authorized Gibson dealers.

I know this subject has been explored before' date=' but I could not find an active thread. I restrung my sorta new J-45 with Cleartones after I bought it, and was not impressed. Too brittle and bright for my taste and playing style (which is mostly chording/strumming). I've used Elixirs on other guitars and thought they were pretty good. Just wondered if anyone else had ideas of strings they've really gravitated toward. Just looking to explore.

Also, is there a gauge limit? Do medium+ strings put too much tension on the neck? I can't recall what gauge strings the J-45 came with.

As always, thanks for the suggestions[/quote']

Lockjaw....I'm with you on those cleartones. The problem with them is that you have to play them (a lot) for about three weeks before they finally settle in. I much prefer Elixirs if you are going for the coated string. DR strings and Newtone strings use round core instead of hex core and are hand wound, a little pricey, but they last longer in my opinion and sound really good. Good luck on your hunt, someone could do a thesis on guitar strings...

Yes we have crossed the bridge before on the issue of Cleartones. Here's a link on that discussion http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=30206

This seems a good time as any to to provide an update on my review of the Cleartones.

My opinion of the acoustic strings provided to me by Cleartone has changed to being a bit more positive. After several months of play, they have not lost any of their original sound and are still responsive (where usually I would have thrown out a new set of other strings by now). So I would say that I give Cleartones an A grade on longevity and durability. They do live up to that promise. They do last longer. I have played a minimum of a least 1 hour a day and upwards to several hours a day since my review. They have been played. And played pretty hard at times, using various tunings. I did like the J45 response to DADGAD tuning. But who doesn't.

That said, I still would not change over to Cleartones simply because I do not really like sound of them that much to pay for their high price. I will keep playing these until they reach that string dead zone, then after that I will probably start a thread asking "What strings do you guys use"...LOL :-$

EJ16's all the way. I usually snaffle a couple those 10-set "pro pack" boxes every three months or so and that keeps me going for 4 or so live shows a week. On my Blues King, I can often get 3-4 gigs out of one set even in the summer, so I have no desire to change brand or gauge...they sound GREAT too.

I did recently pick up a bulk pack of 12 sets of Rotosound Jumbo King 12-54s, great strings which sound excellent on my SJ200.

The Gibson factory puts Masterbuilt Premium on the new J-45's. The product code is SAG-MB12' date=' Light .012 .016 .024w .032w .042w .053w

These strings can be purchased through authorized Gibson dealers.[/quote']

Thanks for the info, I like the strings mine came with!

I like the Gibson Masterbuilt Prem.'s myself. I've tried other brands just to see what was out there, but the Gibson's sound the best to me. Like everything in axville, its personal choice.

Archived