Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

Had to create an account and jump on this forum. I've been follwing this forum since it was two pages long. I ordered a GT from American Musical in early June , AMS cancelled it, and didn't bother to call, and I missed the email. I immediatley ordered another GT from MF on 6/16 I beleive, and it was "officially" cancelled by MF yesterday. When talking to MF over the weeks, they informed me weeks ago they were expecting mid 30's for a number, and all were spoken for before I ordered.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had to create an account and jump on this forum. I've been follwing this forum since it was two pages long. I ordered a GT from American Musical in early June ' date=' AMS cancelled it, and didn't bother to call, and I missed the email. I immediatley ordered another GT from MF on 6/16 I beleive, and it was "officially" cancelled by MF yesterday. When talking to MF over the weeks, they informed me weeks ago they were expecting mid 30's for a number, and all were spoken for before I ordered.[/quote']

Sorry to hear that.

I'm still stunned that the good folks at the company haven't figured out that are really very few of us on this forum with questions - and that at least some of us already have proven to be good customers.

No answers here.

Go figure.

60 made it out the door late April.

ALL FIVE FINISHES ARE NOW SOLD OUT!

*Please check with your favorite Gibson dealer to find out what they ordered.

Update 7/15/10.....WE ARE MAKING GUITARS!!!

Shipments to dealers will resume early August!

Good for you.

Had to create an account and jump on this forum. I've been follwing this forum since it was two pages long. I ordered a GT from American Musical in early June ' date=' AMS cancelled it, and didn't bother to call, and I missed the email. I immediatley ordered another GT from MF on 6/16 I beleive, and it was "officially" cancelled by MF yesterday. When talking to MF over the weeks, they informed me weeks ago they were expecting mid 30's for a number, and all were spoken for before I ordered.[/quote']

why did they even bother to take your order? Why did the local GC even bother to take my order? Sure glad I didn't buy the pro-coverage GC was trying to sell me on a guitar they knew they couldn't deliver. Anything I need will be purchased from some place other than GC and the money I was going to spend on a Gibson guitar is now going to go on a Fender.

When I called Guitar Center to inquire about status /quantity on their end, I was informed that they too were sold out, but encouraged me to still pre-order...that it was like "holding my spot in line." In line....like for a sold out concert! Thats why I avoid GC. This was in later June

why did they even bother to take your order? Why did the local GC even bother to take my order? Sure glad I didn't buy the pro-coverage GC was trying to sell me on a guitar they knew they couldn't deliver. Anything I need will be purchased from some place other than GC and the money I was going to spend on a Gibson guitar is now going to go on a Fender.

I hear you... I started a thread in the Lounge to see what others had to say...

They don't get it.

Is it time for another chill pill? Things wouldn't have gone haywire if Gibson hadn't had the flood. That's not their fault. So why be pissed at Gibson?

GC, on the other hand...I hate GC and don't deal with them.

Where the hell are the pictures of the HB?

Is it time for another chill pill? Things wouldn't have gone haywire if Gibson hadn't had the flood. That's not their fault. So why be pissed at Gibson?

GC' date=' on the other hand...I hate GC and don't deal with them.

Where the hell are the pictures of the HB?[/quote']

BS.

They announced the guitar before the flood, they've said they're making guitars again, they know how many they sold, and to whom.

How many here are asking, anyway? 6? 10? 20? That's way too hard a task for them to deal with, I guess.

BlackFlag;

I am not "pissed" at Gibson, just disappointed. Gibson COULD have allowed for more guitars be made over time to those who paid for them, secondly, Gibson COULD have told retailers what they could reasonably expect as far as quantity. Retailers in turn (if responsible) COULD have cut off preorders after the initial 35 or so. Last I talked to MF they were in the hundreds on GT's and HB's. From what I have found on this forum is that there will be many upset customers (and more that are not members....like I said I joined today to put in my 2 cents).

I agree.

Don't shoot the messenger.

No, no, don't get me wrong Riverside. I'm not venting or pissed off at you, I'm pissed of at MF. So much for loyalty, as I've been purchasing many stuff from MF and I always go to them. I should of ordered from sweetwater. Now, I only have one chance left for that elusive GT, which is from my local GC. I called GC and spoked directly to the store manager and he called their district buyer and he stated that the store I ordered it from will be getting seven GT and I have reserve on one since I was the first one to pre ordered and paid in full. If this dosen't go through, I will be one pissed off gorrilla.

No' date=' no, don't get me wrong Riverside. I'm not venting or pissed off at you, I'm pissed of at MF. So much for loyalty, as I've been purchasing many stuff from MF and I always go to them. I should of ordered from sweetwater. Now, I only have one chance left for that elusive GT, which is from my local GC. I called GC and spoked directly to the store manager and he called their district buyer and he stated that the store I ordered it from will be getting seven GT and I have reserve on one since I was the first one to pre ordered and paid in full. If this dosen't go through, I will be one pissed off gorrilla.[/quote']

Good for you.

This is one sweet cock-up, if you ask me.

I just won't say that it's ridiculous. That's not allowed.

No' date=' no, don't get me wrong Riverside. I'm not venting or pissed off at you, I'm pissed of at MF. So much for loyalty, as I've been purchasing many stuff from MF and I always go to them. I should of ordered from sweetwater. Now, I only have one chance left for that elusive GT, which is from my local GC. I called GC and spoked directly to the store manager and he called their district buyer and he stated that the store I ordered it from will be getting seven GT and I have reserve on one since I was the first one to pre ordered and paid in full. If this dosen't go through, I will be one pissed off gorrilla.[/quote']

I certainly wish you the best on this matter!

BS.

They announced the guitar before the flood' date=' they've said they're making guitars again, they know how many they sold, and to whom.

How many here are asking, anyway? 6? 10? 20? That's way too hard a task for them to deal with, I guess.[/quote']

But how is that Gibson's fault? Gibson tells MF they're going to make X in total, and GC orders Y. Then GC takes 2*Y preorders. How is that Gibson's fault. And what do you expect Gibson to do about it? Tell everybody how many guitars they're sending to each dealer?

Retailers in turn (if responsible) COULD have cut off preorders after the initial 35 or so. Last I talked to MF they were in the hundreds on GT's and HB's. From what I have found on this forum is that there will be many upset customers (and more that are not members....like I said I joined today to put in my 2 cents).

Same thing...how is this Gibson's fault? It sounds like MF and GC were greedy and took too many orders, and wound up pissing people off.

I think Amazon was the first to cut off orders...because they don't want to piss people off. They understand customer service.

What do you make of this post from another forum:

"

I called both MF and Gibson to find out what was up with my pre-order. Gibson told me due to the flooding, the 50s Tribute was considered 'discontinued', with no clear time frame on when that would change. Meanwhile, MF was still happily taking pre-orders. When I contacted them to ask if I actually had a guitar reserved, or if they were just taking pre-orders...they told me, "We are just taking orders until we hear differently from the manufacturer."

What I really find damning is that Gibson didn't start publicizing the 50s Tribute on their website until one month after the flood. They had to know by that time that there was no way in hell they could keep up with their production schedule. Yet they pushed the hell out of the model anyway."

So this model is already discontinued ?

Perhaps Gibson is not in the driver's seat.

In my past experience, often times the dealer (who looks to us like the manufacturer's representative) is really in the position to dictate what they will buy/sell/etc.

Could be Gibson has their **** in the dirt and just can't bring themselves to admit it.

Either way, it ain't no way to inspire customer loyalty.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if G cant satisfy a handful of loyal end users, they aren't worth the investment.

But how is that Gibson's fault? Gibson tells MF they're going to make X in total' date=' and GC orders Y. Then GC takes 2*Y preorders. How is that Gibson's fault. And what do you expect Gibson to do about it? Tell everybody how many guitars they're sending to each dealer?

[/quote']

I guess the concept of a Gibson Authorized Dealer has no meaning then.

What say you?

I suppose if Gibson gave a sh!t about the ones here who responded to their announcement about this guitar, they might find a way to make up another 5/10/20 or so guitars.

Maybe that's expecting too much for such a huge, worldwide organization.

Or, as I wrote before, maybe they're not really the dog who wags the tail, rather, their "dealerships" in fact, wag the dog.

Either way, I'm done with it.

Good luck to y'all.

If you still think you want what they can't sell you.

I guess the concept of a Gibson Authorized Dealer has no meaning then.

What say you?

It does have meaning - it means the store sells genuine Gibson products.

It doesn't mean that the store can go off the reservation' date=' take 100 orders for a guitar they were given an allotment of 30, then Gibson is responsible for that stupid move.

I just don't get all the anger directed at Gibson. It's a great guitar. Whether I get one, or not, I'm glad they're making it.

And I'm still waiting to see that new HB.

[img']http://thm-a03.yimg.com/nimage/26b03e22f6a78010[/img]

It does have meaning - it means the store sells genuine Gibson products.

It doesn't mean that the store can go off the reservation' date=' take 100 orders for a guitar they were given an allotment of 30, then Gibson is responsible for that stupid move.

I just don't get all the anger directed at Gibson. [/quote']

I'm off the anger now.

I see that G is not in control of their "resellers" and can't own it in public.

They're not the 1st to find themselves in hock to their resellers, and most likely won't be the last.

I'm done - really.

I would like to say that the "anger," if you will, towards Gibson is that Gibson manufactures guitars, and are not closing their doors for good tomorrow. Gibson can make as many guitars as they want, granted it may take a long time, especially post flood. There is no need to discontinue a product line so soon when there are willing buyers. Typically items are "discontinued" due to poor sales. Obviously that is not the case with the 50's tributes. My initial cancellation notice from AMS in mid June stated that the item had been "discontinued, and is no longer available." No longer available! they haven't even been really produced yet!

I see that G is not in control of their "resellers"

Well, they're not. Gibson and Guitar Center are two separate, independent companies.

The closest relationship there is is the auto companies and the dealers, they actually have control over the dealers...and look how bad those dealers piss people off constantly. It's a lot easier for me to get pissed off at GM because of a GM dealership than for me to get pissed at Gibson because of Guitar Center's stupidity.

Archived