Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

I would like to say that the "anger' date='" if you will, towards Gibson is that Gibson manufactures guitars, and are not closing their doors for good tomorrow. Gibson can make as many guitars as they want, granted it may take a long time, especially post flood. There is no need to discontinue a product line so soon when there are willing buyers. Typically items are "discontinued" due to poor sales. Obviously that is not the case with the 50's tributes. My initial cancellation notice from AMS in mid June stated that the item had been "discontinued, and is no longer available." No longer available! they haven't even been really produced yet![/quote']

It's not the first time they've produced a limited run guitar... Sure, may be a dumb move on their part. Maybe not - if I get one. But it's not enough to piss me off. [confused]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the couple of references I've seen to "where are the pics of the new HB" are directed at me, they're on my camera. Will post Sat., too tired to deal with it now just got home from work a bit after midnight, showered, ate and ready to crash). Keep in mind though, as stated pages ago, this is a PRE flood guitar that was simply not advertised and thus sat in Sam Ash's warehouse for months. Not that I expect there to be any appreciable differences...

And if you want to see a nice one tonight, go back to page 5 of this thread. The one there quite resembles the one that I picked up yesterday.

You probably don't need that HB to recreate Black Flag tones then[biggrin]

Well, I don't get it - but neither do the folks in the lounge... Go there and ask 'em why they care.

I'm out. I'll either get one, or I won't.

Good luck to y'all.

Well' date=' I don't get it - but neither do the folks in the lounge... Go there and ask 'em why they care.

I'm out. I'll either get one, or I won't.

Good luck to y'all.[/quote']

Appears too many people are willing to add nothing to a conversation; whether it it is needed or not.

"Hello, Is Their Anybody (From Gibson) Out There?"

Just a few question for any Gibson employee monitoring this thread.

Has the production of the LP Studio 50's Tribute guitars been discontinued?

If they have been discontinued, is this permanent ?

How many LP Studio 50's Tribute guitars were "originally planned to be made" in this "limited" run (e.g. 100)?

How many LP Studio 50's Tribute guitars will "actually be made" in this "limited" run (e.g. only 60 or 100 or ...)?

Who were the dealers that "have or will receive" any of these instruments?

The total number of instruments that each dealer "has or will receive" would be nice to know. (e.g. GC, 20)?

Thanks for the info

"Hello' date=' Is Their Anybody (From Gibson) Out There?"

Just a few question for any Gibson employee monitoring this thread.

Has the production of the LP Studio 50's Tribute guitars been discontinued?

If they have been discontinued, is this permanent ?

How many LP Studio 50's Tribute guitars were "originally planned to be made" in this "limited" run (e.g. 100)?

How many LP Studio 50's Tribute guitars will "actually be made" in this "limited" run (e.g. only 60 or 100 or ...)?

Who were the dealers that "have or will receive" any of these instruments?

The total number of instruments that each dealer "has or will receive" would be nice to know. (e.g. GC, 20)?

Thanks for the info

[/quote']

Good luck with getting these questions answered! I've been asking this for weeks and getting blasted for not considering Gibson's feelings in their time of distress.

There were general inquiries made about the 50s at the Henry CEO site - haven't read them too recently, but I don't recall any real 'definitive response'.

Ideally, they would come out with a big batch of UNfactory-worn 50s Tribute guitars, seems especially GT and HB, but....they have alot to worry about right now. SO I can only wish, or just get a different model GT!

Well, Gibson (Henry was quoted earlier in this thread) has already stated that the 50's Tribute Studio would maintain it's limited edition status (ie: won't become a production model), and that they are aware of the Customer demand here (ie: we "all" want one, preferably in a gold top mostly) which seems to imply to me that something similar (yet different) will probably appear down the road a piece.

They've also stated (in an edit to the first post in this thread) that all 5 finishes of this one are sold out (as in spoken for to their dealers) and that they are again producing guitars (as in working towards filling the orders).

Gibson by policy does not release production numbers, so don't get bent out of shape when you ask and they are mute. "Discontinued", I don't recall seeing that from Gibson (I do miss things). Betting that came from a dealer, and was simply a poor choice of terminology (see above note on "sold out").

The issues most are having with this model (besides it being sold out) stem mostly from the dealers (bad, bad dealers, took extra orders hoping they'd be fulfilled). I do know when GC took mine, they said they were expecting around 30 Gold Tops (and mine was in that 30) and later I was told 36, but I was also told from the beginning that they'd fill the orders (shipped from their warehouse on arrival to my home or the store, my choice), but that there was no absolute guaranty even then that the order would be filled.

Seems like some outlets were making promises beyond this. Either the stores were misinterpreting what was told them by their Gibson Reps, the Gibson Reps were inaccurate (seems my local store's Rep was not) or the store's personnel were wrong (whether this was intentional or not is an entirely different discussion).

We're all frustrated. But at this point, I think we've gotten all the answers we are going to get, until shipping resumes. Hide and watch.

Actually T-bone, if the entire production run has been sold out and the limited run status is going to stick; then the line is effectively discontinued, despite the fact production is not complete. Anyway, all depends on how loose and fast one wants to get with semantics.

Semantics, a great topic (interpretation of words being at the core of so many disagreements and most misunderstandings). A discontinued item? Yeah, it could be interpreted that way. Production hasn't yet been discontinued, in fact if 60 got out before the flood, and GC may be getting 30 or more in GT, then I think it's safe to say they've not even produced half the run yet. But sales (from the mfr. are done, so okay, discontinued it is. Just seems to imply they've simply dropped the line (as in cut it short of what was planned). But it doesn't actually mean that (necessarily), that's just a matter of perception (by some of us).

Got to go, Ii need to download, resize and upload pics of the HB. Right after breakfast :) .

I'd still like to hear people's reviews, and see some pic's as these guitars start to come in...especially as far as the weight - these seem as though they will be pretty light as compared to other LP models.

I'd still like to hear people's reviews' date=' and see some pic's as these guitars start to come in...especially as far as the weight - these seem as though they will be pretty light as compared to other LP models.[/quote']

I'll try and do a wt. comparison tomorrow between my HB and the Classic Antique. Just logged on to write the thread on the HB, going to do that now, then play a bit, then off to see Tinsley Ellis play tonight.

You're a procrastinator' date=' aren't you?[/quote']

Lol. Big time. But it's really been about the odd hours and being beat from being off work so long and getting a very physical work assignment this time 'round.

BTW, thread's done. Click here...Arrrrgh. th_TLAPD-pirate3.gif?t=1280004681

th_piratef.gif?t=1280004427

Archived