Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

If this guy lowered the price to $1000 he would sell it.

goldtop-1.jpg

We may find out. That's now the minimum bid. Profiteering aside (which I actually have no problem with' date=' as long as he's not trying to con anyone), I'm a bit po'ed at how he's spreading B.S. to try to prop up his sale. Check his lengthy answer to question #1, with the crap about Gibson having to burn their wood, and not currently making guitars (both positively incorrect). I sent him a message that told him how wrong he was on both counts (he won't care, trying to add interest to his sale).

BTW, with a feedback score of only 6 (all as a [i']buyer[/i]), I would not put him high on my list to buy a used pedal from, let alone a guitar. Might be fine. But he's got no real investment in his reputation at this point.

hey Tbone' date=' could you please let me know if the finish is as fragile as it seems.

If you scratch the top with you nail, the finish won't come off, won't it?

i've seen a black one on ebay that was already scratched...[/quote']

Well, it's certainly more fragile of a finish than a fully finished guitar (understandably, there is less material there). But it's not going to rub off easily with your hand or anything. If I tried hard enough, I might be able to scratch it with my fingernail, The same could be said about my fully finished Classic Antique. But I'm not going to try....

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe i am wrong and this is silly anyway because i don't want this item, but the pots on this goldtop on ebay seems not in line with the scatchplate screw and the cutaway. could this be a fake? perspective?

hey guys, if there was only so many made and they have sold out, and people still want to buy one, and they are (well i think) one of the most popular/wanted gibson guitars- why isn't the value of the guitar higher than the original rrp price? will the value of this guitar be more than the original rrp price?

hey guys' date=' if there was only so many made and they have sold out, and people still want to buy one, and they are (well i think) one of the most popular/wanted gibson guitars- why isn't the value of the guitar higher than the original rrp price? will the value of this guitar be more than the original rrp price?[/quote']

I think the old saying goes something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That being said, I think it is a tad early to figure out what the going price for these GTs will be. I would not be surprised to see a fair number of people willing to pay an extra $100 to $150 over the price sold at a guitar store. Just my guess though.

But until the actual production is finished, and the guitars are out the door, it's hard to tell the prices they will go for. I still think it is a great guitar for the money. Awesome value for the dollar IMO. But if the resale prices get high enough, people might consider what they can get new from Gibson for that price. IE the first asking price on the GT tribute on ebay ($2800/$2900). for that price I could get the Limted Brimstone burst standard at a few guitar shops within travelling distance. I know I am comparing different guitars, but just consider what you can get for the money.

Just my thoughts,

BGR

For $2,800 you can get a used Les Paul Deluxe GoldTop with full finish, they can be found on eBay, change the pickups to P90s and you would have more than $500 left and you would have an actual, full finish, full thickness, Les Paul with real binding.

Or you could pay $2,800 for a used R6 Custom Shop, re-issue, with selected woods, single piece back, better tuners, finish, look, everything.

I liked the 50's Tribute I played but it is a budget guitar, I do wonder how many of those who get this guitar will be underwhelmed when they get it after all this hype.

For what it is worth, the black studio fifties tribute that just sold on ebay for $600 did have a dime-sized chip in the finish under the pickguard (they provided a pic with the pickguard removed) which may have contributed to its lower selling price.

!Bzek4WQ!Wk~$(KGrHqF,!jMEw5DMd7Z)BMWMik1oP!~~_12.JPG

BTW, I also placed an order for a GT on the Sam Ash website a couple weeks ago (7-22) after reading the post here that Sam Ash was still accepting orders for all finishes. Like another poster said, it was cancelled yesterday and I got a call from Sam Ash later in the day and was given a choice of HB, CB, or White because they still had some available (not yet spoken for). I chose HB and he said they are expecting to get the guitars in mid September.

SunDogAZ

First, I need to correct my statement on the eBay guitar. The opening bid is $1100, not $1000 (not sure if he changed it again??). And I suspect he knew all along he was spreading manure when he wrote about burning wood and Gibson not running production. Why? Because I gave him correct info with a good source, and he didn't add my "question" or his answer to the ad. That essentially proves that his intent is to deceive while whipping up interest in his sale. Dishonest, not something I look for in any eBay Seller. Combined with his practically non-existent feedback, I'd not buy a toothpick from him, let alone a guitar.

For $2' date='800 you can get a used Les Paul Deluxe GoldTop with full finish, they can be found on eBay, change the pickups to P90s and you would have more than $500 left and you would have an actual, full finish, full thickness, Les Paul with real binding.

Or you could pay $2,800 for a used R6 Custom Shop, re-issue, with selected woods, single piece back, better tuners, finish, look, everything.

I liked the 50's Tribute I played but it is a budget guitar, I do wonder how many of those who get this guitar will be underwhelmed when they get it after all this hype.

[/quote']

Exactly right, the (bargain) price is a huge component in the popularity of this guitar. When it goes North, interest goes South (or more specifically, to other Gibson models more fully appointed).

For $2900, I am buying a Class 5 Orange Tiger, not any $800 Tribute. Obviously he realized that too, as interest must have been real underwhelming on his original listings.

Collectibility? I don't think so...its just not a GREAT guitar. As mentioned, it is OK for the money, but for a bit more you can do better.

Maybe the 'goofiness' of the situation will get the price up a bit when the dust settles and they're really aren't more coming, but even if I didn't already have one I would just find something else instead of paying much more money.

A new Gold Top Traditional would be my 1st choice, for just a bit more then this guys BIN price.

Trolling, trolling, trolling - some of you all keep on trolling...

The guy is listing the piece for a starting price less than MSRP, and his BIN is a dollar more than MSRP.

I hope he gets it.

I fail to understand why some of us can't help but poke others in the eye because they want one of these.

Hey everyone. I don't think this has been covered, apologies if it has, but has anyone seen the 50's Tribute GT on ebay that is for sale? Bidding starts at $2500, BIN price is $2800.

Sure - NOW its $1400, apparently was $2800 at first. And for that price, I would NOT buy one. (nor for $1400)

Of course, I hope he gets it too, maybe it would make mine worth more!

BTW, whose trolling about it? Here I thought people were discussing it - like in a 'forum'! [biggrin]

...apparently was $2800 at first...

Apparently?

I didn't see that. Did you? Is that what it is now?

Let's then have a discussion: Why would anyone pay anything for (whatever) guitar? Maybe because they want one?

I don't throw rocks at the guys who buy essentially the same guitar and pay thousands extra solely because of the shiny paint job.

I don't understand why folks feel the need to pop in here and there and call folks names for wanting any offering by the company.

Apparently, they don't understand either - because I've never seen any of them explain themselves.

Apparently?

I didn't see that. Did you? Is that what it is now?

Let's then have a discussion: Why would anyone pay anything for (whatever) guitar? Maybe because they want one?

I don't throw rocks at the guys who buy essentially the same guitar and pay thousands extra solely because of the shiny paint job.

I don't understand why folks feel the need to pop in here and there and call folks names for wanting any offering by the company.

Nope, didn't see it...that's why I quoted the original post that said it was listed at $2800 (later corrected to $2900)...figure that poster knew what he was talking about since he posted it.

Ooops, my mistake, The Buy It Now price is listed as $2900

So - yes - apparently the original BIN was $2900.

I did/do see the apparently-changed BIN of $1400...figure the seller must have realized it wasn't going to sell <fast enough> at $2900(?).

Yep - that would be the reason someone would pay that much - 'cause they wanted it (good reason). And what I said was I wouldn't want it for that much...$2800 or $2900...that I would spend $2900 on a different guitar (Class 5 likely). And the same for $1400 (GT Trad likely - if I still wanted a GT).

As for the rest - wasn't me saying anything bad about people who would pay whatever they wanted (or ask for whatever they wanted to get), so I am out for that!

I first read about that GT on ebay in the forums on www.mylespaul.com.

The title of the thread is "Must ,,,, have ,,,, new ,,,,, Gold ,,,,,,, Top !!!!!!!!!!!"

About halfway down page 17 there is a discussion on that ebay listing for the GT starting with Post #492. I thought it would be an interesting point of discussion and the intention was not to berate the seller. I thought the starting bid and BIN prices were a bit high considering the production run and final deliveries haven't been completed yet.

BGR

American Musical.

Heard end of Aug. from Amazon' date=' which is B.S. - they told me Oct. last week.[/quote']

A guy on another forum told me Amazon told him Dec but the one he ordered was white.Maybe different shipment dates for different colors.

Why? It's not custom shop. Supply and demand - at $850 - new - everybody wants one. Used? I don't know - we'll see. If I'm lucky enough to get 2, I figured I'd sell the second at $850...but now we'll see. Maybe I can do a little better? Hell, yeah.

Archived