Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a notice last night that my Cherry Burst from Guitar Center shipped from Kansas..... should be here tommorow. Still waiting for GT that I special ordered at the GC store locally...they swear that I am getting it.... well see....

Congrats, that is good news! It seems that GC is finally getting guitars for their customers.

Nice Tele. jmg..A real beauty.

Thanks! Iwasn't sold on a Tele for the logest time - though I like the single cut, I don't like the look of the headstock. Now, and I'm sure it's partly because it is still new, I either pick that up or the Traditional. Both just feel really good to play, and sound great.

Got a notice last night that my Cherry Burst from Guitar Center shipped from Kansas..... should be here tommorow. Still waiting for GT that I special ordered at the GC store locally...they swear that I am getting it.... well see....

Excellent! Good news, hopefully, for everyone waiting on Tributes from GC/MF.

Thanks! Iwasn't sold on a Tele for the logest time - though I like the single cut, I don't like the look of the headstock. Now, and I'm sure it's partly because it is still new, I either pick that up or the Traditional. Both just feel really good to play, and sound great.

Hey, JMG, how does that Tele play? Is is brand new, and how was the set up?

I think that just about covers it..

Hey, JMG, how does that Tele play? Is is brand new, and how was the set up?

I think that just about covers it..

It is a brand new '10- got it still 'in the box'. The set-up was fine - a little buzz around the 4th/5th frets on a couple of strings with the stock 9s that I would have tweaked away, but when I put on 10s all was good.

It plays really well. Good tones, not too heavey but solid to hold (haven't weighed it yet - maybe around 8.5#s). Do not notice any 'extra' noise or hum from the single coils, unless I get very close to the amp. The 10s I used were pure nickel, and it seems a bit more dark and less 'twangier' then with the NP 9s, so I will experiment with more string types on the next swap. Other then dialing it in, I think it's great and have been enjoying it more then I thought I would (as I really love Gibson HBs). I like that it has the Strat style saddles and through-body stringing. I noticed for some reason I get this 'built-in' warble/sustain out of my Delta Blues amp with it - very pleasing! Came with typical 'Am Stndard" candy - Fender strap, cable, allen wrenchs, in a very nice SKB case. No issues at all.

T-Day (Sept 30) for many of us who ordered from G.C. I had lost some interest in this guitar until I heard a sound sample of the neck pup a la Sumlin/Howlin' Wolf. It nailed the Chess 50s/60s sound. I don't quite understand why someone would buy this guitar and switch out the pickups. It's the primary reason I'm buying it. If I don't like the guitar itself I might look for the pickups and do a project guitar. And so, I expect to hear from G.C, today after an extended wait from August 30. A G.T. was bought on Ebay for nearly $1500 today so the Tribute G.T. appears to be a collectible right out of the factory.

T-Day (Sept 30) for many of us who ordered from G.C. I had lost some interest in this guitar until I heard a sound sample of the neck pup a la Sumlin/Howlin' Wolf. It nailed the Chess 50s/60s sound. I don't quite understand why someone would buy this guitar and switch out the pickups. It's the primary reason I'm buying it. If I don't like the guitar itself I might look for the pickups and do a project guitar. And so, I expect to hear from G.C, today after an extended wait from August 30. A G.T. was bought on Ebay for nearly $1500 today so the Tribute G.T. appears to be a collectible right out of the factory.

Pushed back again. I sopke to my GC Rep today, reminding him it was now Sept. 30th. He contacted the warehouse (and reset the FTC Clock, guys, don't forget to do that if you wish to keep your place in line!). Basically, they (the warehouse person he talks to) doesn't really know, and sets the end of the next month if they don't turn up by the end of the current month (or so this seems). I don't think the times are coming from Gibson at all. And while I am certain someone somewhere at GC has at least heard a proper time est. from Gibson, it is not being filtered down to these folks it seems.

My contact will be quizzing his Gibson Rep in the next few days/week, but for now, we really know nothing from that end. I do know this: GC was one of the last of the larger Sellers to begin taking pre-orders. And the GT pre-orders were sold out in a matter of days (including seemingly some that were over sold, of which I suspect all have now been canceled). When they get their allotment of Gold Tops, undoubtedly some will be canceled by those who've moved on. Probably not many. But there should be a short (one day or so I bet) window at that point for a few to get in on an available Gold Top. I'd suggest being ready, and checking here and MLPF for any sign of GT's showing up in or being delivered by GC.

Keep in mind guys, Gibson will be finishing production sometime in December (unless they finish early?). And I do think GC was at the tail end of the ordering. So they may not actually get theirs until near that time. Then again, they've gotten a few pieces in Ebony into a few stores, so... could go either way. Again, as Ray in Texas once told me (when I was hunting a '57 Reissue Stratocaster many years ago), "Hide And Watch".

Oct. 31st? Trick or Treat!

I was only kidding about swapping pickups on my guitar.

I think someone on this forum swapped out the pickups for some mini hbuckers. I've got an AlleyKat with that configuration and wouldn't buy another one to get there again. I've got a black thin skin nitro 57 RI Strat that I don't really play much; for those who may want to know something about it.

I called G.C. today to check on the status of my cherryb and was told they have no idea when it will come in. But wait!! They've got one coming into the store in a few days for store stock that they will kindly exchange for the one I have on order. Pretty damn amazing. I was also told that Gibson put the G.C. Tribute orders on the backburner, whatever that means. Yeah, they're both full of it. The cherry may turn to cheese by the time I get it.

I called G.C. today to check on the status of my cherryb and was told they have no idea when it will come in. But wait!! They've got one coming into the store in a few days for store stock that they will kindly exchange for the one I have on order. Pretty damn amazing. I was also told that Gibson put the G.C. Tribute orders on the backburner, whatever that means. Yeah, they're both full of it. The cherry may turn to cheese by the time I get it.

I was afraid that was going to happen to way to many people!

There should be a crime against something.... Just saying..They promised too much.msp_flapper.gif

Good news! UPS woman brought a package today! Now I got my GT, finally, after waiting since beginning of June. It is a 5 piece body but I couldn't care less cause the sound is great and it plays just right. The only thing that bugs me is that the tone control for the bridge pickup does not work, but I haven't investigated the issue so far. Could be the pot or the cap or just a bad contact. Anyway, I am really happy with my new purchase and since I know the rules, here is a (rather crappy) pic of it.

post-16326-052378100 1285887640_thumb.jpg

Good news! UPS woman brought a package today! Now I got my GT, finally, after waiting since beginning of June. It is a 5 piece body but I couldn't care less cause the sound is great and it plays just right. The only thing that bugs me is that the tone control for the bridge pickup does not work, but I haven't investigated the issue so far. Could be the pot or the cap or just a bad contact. Anyway, I am really happy with my new purchase and since I know the rules, here is a (rather crappy) pic of it.

Glad to hear another G.T. out there. Congrats man!msp_thumbup.gif

Try moving the toggle switch to see if that make any issues with the p/u's...

I had toggle switch problems with just a small hand full of others.... Congrats!!

Not a bad picture at all. You should have seen my picture.

Now that was a travesty..

Glad to hear another G.T. out there. Congrats man!msp_thumbup.gif

Try moving the toggle switch to see if that make any issues with the p/u's...

I had toggle switch problems with just a small hand full of others.... Congrats!!

Not a bad picture at all. You should have seen my picture.

Now that was a travesty..

The switch seems allright, let's see how this turns out, only thing I know it is going to work after I am done with that.

btw, I have seen your pictures. Actually I was the one that mirrored and turned the pic so it looked kind of right. Still don't know whose hand that was there in that picture... :-)

Ok ,let me guess. You DO like your new toy??msp_love.gifmsp_lol.gif

Toys...yeah! Love 'em! The only "problem" if you can call it that, is now, I'm looking for a Marshall head, to complete the "1/2 Stack," thing. "Plexi's" are out of my price range, generally...and TSL is "too much 'stuff,'...so, I thinking a DSL (50 or 100 watt) would be perfect? This is total insanity, of course, at my age...but, no one ever accused me, of being "sane." [biggrin] So...???

CB

i hate to say it cause i really badly wanted a gt but this is bad. gibson finally made a cool gibson, that we can afford. like fender did with the original 50's/60's

made in japan strat reissue, an affordable quality instrument, for gigging musicians. and f*&ked the whole idea up by making it exclusive. really??? a full body , maple capped p90 les paul needs to be this much trouble???? it should replace the dc faded as far as i can tell. come on gibson. and yeah i know about your regular studio's, problem is they do not have mojo. p90's on a maple cap les paul are magic. we all know that, but short of an r6 or tokai? what do we get? c'mon gibson, take a break from the bread and butter and make 2500 of these. instead of looking at it as r4/r6 sales lost, think of all the guys that will go full bore and buy an r6 next time? next year. now all you guys that wanna defend gibbo go ahead and flame away.

i hate to say it cause i really badly wanted a gt but this is bad. gibson finally made a cool gibson, that we can afford. like fender did with the original 50's/60's

made in japan strat reissue, an affordable quality instrument, for gigging musicians. and f*&ked the whole idea up by making it exclusive. really??? a full body , maple capped p90 les paul needs to be this much trouble???? it should replace the dc faded as far as i can tell. come on gibson. and yeah i know about your regular studio's, problem is they do not have mojo. p90's on a maple cap les paul are magic. we all know that, but short of an r6 or tokai? what do we get? c'mon gibson, take a break from the bread and butter and make 2500 of these. instead of looking at it as r4/r6 sales lost, think of all the guys that will go full bore and buy an r6 next time? next year. now all you guys that wanna defend gibbo go ahead and flame away.

oh and i'm sure gibsons panties are absolutely soaked at this point, all this attention this guitar is getting. chr7st, even r8,r9,r0's don't have this many pages on this forum.

Toys...yeah! Love 'em! The only "problem" if you can call it that, is now, I'm looking for a Marshall head, to complete the "1/2 Stack," thing. "Plexi's" are out of my price range, generally...and TSL is "too much 'stuff,'...so, I thinking a DSL (50 or 100 watt) would be perfect? This is total insanity, of course, at my age...but, no one ever accused me, of being "sane." [biggrin] So...???

CB

build a jtm 45 kit. 650 well spent.

Archived