Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

The switches were not working, or if they were, they would crackle like a 30 year old...

My Cherry had problems...

But, my Honey is fine

It was only a small % of us who has these issues, and I haven't seen any problems in quite some time now.

I know of 1 member here who tried to clean the switch and I believe he also tried bending the contacts, but made it worst....

All I did, believe it or not, was to keep flicking the switch 75 times or so real fast, and that worked...

Was probably luck though... but it worked since then... msp_tongue.gif

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The switches were not working, or if they were, they would crackle like a 30 year old...

My Cherry had problems...

But, my Honey is fine

It was only a small % of us who has these issues, and I haven't seen any problems in quite some time now.

I know of 1 member here who tried to clean the switch and I believe he also tried bending the contacts, but made it worst....

All I did, believe it or not, was to keep flicking the switch 75 times or so real fast, and that worked...

Was probably luck though... but it worked since then... msp_tongue.gif

Yep, that was me, and Scott is spot on, I tried to clean it, and tried to "adjust" it. and made it worse. That was on my Gold Top, my pre-flood Honeyburst made a bit of noise but seems to have quieted. I did try simply "working in" the switch like Scott did on my Gold Top, but it didn't work for me.

As to installing a Switchcraft switch, I am not sure is will fit. I did get one to fit in the opening, but it was tight and after a second look, it does appear the Studio 50's Tribute may be slightly thinner than other higher end LP's. Besides, the Switchcraft switch would require modification to the stock wiring on the Tribute. In the end, I had a new stock type switch installed. Works fine now.

I bought a honey-burst from GC a couple of weeks ago and love the guitar, but have a couple of questions for you guys.

- Mine has some wear on the upper bout toward the rear of the guitar. Right where it would normally wear from your arm resting on the top when the guitar has been played allot. It's right at the binding, but just a little on the top. Relic'd a bit if you will. Is this normal?

- The pick guard didn't have a plastic cover. It was hanging on the wall at CG so maybe they removed it. It also had light pick scratches on the guard. The guitar had just arrived the day before, but I'm sure it got played.

- Lastly, what did yours come with? I bought a non Gibson case for mine so they reduced the price of the included gig bag, although they didn't give me the details of how much. Anyhow, once I got home I realized I didn't get any kind of warranty paperwork, truss rod tool, etc.

Thanks,

Jack

I did the same with my recent gold top purchase...trading in the gig bag for $30.00 toward another case. In the pocket of the gig bag is all the paperwork. The sales rep probably forgot to pull them out....or else they are behind the counter in a file and they forgot to give them to you. No tools come with any of these and no certificate of authenticity. Just 3 documents which should be included with purchase....the Gibson Gold Warranty, Gibson owners manual and the Gibson quality checklist...with serial number, date of manufacturer, model #, etc. I would go back to the store and have them find the documents. The first 2 are generic but the quality checklist is specific to your guitar. Good luck!

On my new GT 50s tribute I get bit of static when I switch between pickups. No problems playing in any of the 3 positions ...just some static when switching. As this is my first Les Paul I am wondering if this is the norm.

On my new GT 50s tribute I get bit of static when I switch between pickups. No problems playing in any of the 3 positions ...just some static when switching. As this is my first Les Paul I am wondering if this is the norm.

Just try some "contact cleaner," usually avialable at Radio Shack, or some

other electrical supply stores.

CB

I am not getting any crackle or noise, the switch just pops back into the center position sometime , according to the website it already is a switchcraft switch, so I guess I will need to work it out a little.

I know they say so in the site page on the guitar, but it is not a Switchcraft (I suspect that was simply an error). In another spot here, they state specs subject to change etc. The switch is typical of a Les Paul Studio switch (GC Tech had another defective one like it on the bench when he swapped mine out). The new stock switch I have now works fine. I suspect you simply need a new switch also (Gibson should easily cover this, hopefully it can be authorized at a local dealer and changed while you wait).

Same as I had, I'd again take it to an authorized repair center and let them deal with it under warranty (see my reply above). If I had done that, I would not have made mine worse and would have saved the money I spent on a new switch (out of pocket around $30 installed, didn't try to get Gibson to cover it as I made the switch worse trying to deal with it myself- my fault, my cost).

Just try some "contact cleaner," usually avialable at Radio Shack, or some

other electrical supply stores.

CB

I disagree. First, that is what I started out with and it made no difference. There was no dirt there, the noise was caused by the contacts of the switch being out of their proper adjustment. Trying to fix that (nearly had it, got it noise free and working 5 times, each time it then stopped functioning properly as I tried to reinstall the switch) is where I went wrong. I'd let the pro's handle it, and would suggest it will probably need a new switch (having looked them over, I see them as an inferior switch to the Switchcraft, but we can expect to see a few corners cut on a budget priced guitar as these are, really a great value for the money).

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. The slight relic on mine is subtle, but looks like it would probably look after years of use with the wear on the edge. I'll give them a call and see if I can get them to send me my paperwork.

On another note. I played mine for hours today and am as happy as I've been with a guitar for a long time. The neck and set-up on mine suite me perfectly. Looks great, sounds great and plays great. What else could I want. Way to go Gibson. You've got allot of heat lately, but you hit it out with this one.

I did notice on my Honey, the worn look, as they call it, was NOT as much as my Cherry was..

A LOT less scratches on covers, and less wearing all the way around..

If I remember right, a Switchcraft wad a little longer in length on the bottom where the wires are attached..

And because of that, they were either very hard to install or something in the order....

Don't quote me on that last part, I'm going on what I heard out here a couple months ago, I might be wrong...

It's interesting (to me, anyway) that 4 of my Gibson's have had switch problems, on

one, merely an adjustment was needed, the other 3 needed new switches, to replace

the "new" switches supplied stock. One, even had a dead pickup, after 3 days.

My "inferior electronics" Asian made Epi's have never had a problem, with switches,

pots, or pickups. 4 "isolated" incidents?? Maybe...

But, I personally, have had far better luck, out of the box, with Epiphones, in that

regard, than too many of my Gibson guitars. Easy enough, to fix, but at those prices,

that should be a lot more rare, of an occurrence.

Still, I love my Gibby's, and my Epi's, too. Just wish Gibson would get the QC act, a

bit more together. ;>b

CB

I did notice on my Honey, the worn look, as they call it, was NOT as much as my Cherry was..

A LOT less scratches on covers, and less wearing all the way around..

If I remember right, a Switchcraft wad a little longer in length on the bottom where the wires are attached..

And because of that, they were either very hard to install or something in the order....

Don't quote me on that last part, I'm going on what I heard out here a couple months ago, I might be wrong...

Actually, they are quite a bit longer. And though I originally thought the cavity the same size, it appears the Studio is a slight bit less in thickness to the other Les Paul models. We did get the Switchcraft switch to fit, but just barely (the rear cover would be contacting the base of the switch, probably not a good thing). But that is not what kept us from proceeding. The wiring set up is different, and would require modification to use the Switchcraft. The uninsulated ground wire attaches directly to the Switchcraft switch, but on the 50's Tribute it does not extend to the switch, terminating in the pickup cavity. Changing the wiring was further than I was prepared to go, so we installed an All Parts switch that was an identical match to the one removed. (Except this one worked fine [wink] ). Still think it's a poorly designed part, but as long as it works, I am happy!

And that's the funny thing there T-Bone.

I have a few switchcrafts around and never got that far to swap it out..

It started working..

Oh, Nice to hear from you again T.

Hey. C.B., you are right, the Epi's I have had new and used, all work and still working fine..

Even my Gibby SG has a switch problem awhile back...

Congrats! Where did you buy yours from? Post pics when you get it.

Just got home with it now. Wow, I know why everyone loves gibson now, it's the first time i ever played one. I think it blows my 64' rickenbacker 365 out of the water, Tone wise. I got the onlyone pmt manchester is getting. The guy at the store said i was actually lower on the list but over the months everyone's cancled their order.

I'm gonna post some pictures up tomorrow.

Cheers

G

So it looks like they are all finished? I mean no one is taking orders anymore?

Has anyone heard from a rep or store that there is more coming through?

If I recall correctly, Gibson's production schedule had them finishing production in December. All guitars had been ordered by their retailers, whether anyone had any left to order is anyone's guess. I know my local GC (Canton MI) got in a Honeyburst a few weeks back, not sure if it's still there.

Archived