Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking of putting up mine with a 1962 Fender Concert amp in a new cabinet with 4 C10Qs.

I wonder what that might bring...

Unless someone goes high on the guitar value just to get the amp, I doubt you've be better off than selling them separately. The GT is in heavy supply currently, there being over a dozen on eBay at any given time in the last week or two (which has driven prices down at least 2-3 hundred dollars). The amp itself is quite rare, and will bring top dollar to the right buyer, but keeping in mind it's not 100% original, the right buyer may not be in abundance. I'd consider an ad in Vintage Guitar myself, but then, I've been out of the game for some time, so, what do I know?

Gibson, (I hope you're still reading this thread) it now being December, can you tell us if these have finished production and all been shipped yet? Thanks!

BTW, love both my pre-flood Honeyburst and post flood Gold Top, great sound, great feel, great deal on a great guitar. Thanks for making these!!!

Unless someone goes high on the guitar value just to get the amp, I doubt you've be better off than selling them separately. The GT is in heavy supply currently, there being over a dozen on eBay at any given time in the last week or two (which has driven prices down at least 2-3 hundred dollars). The amp itself is quite rare, and will bring top dollar to the right buyer, but keeping in mind it's not 100% original, the right buyer may not be in abundance. I'd consider an ad in Vintage Guitar myself, but then, I've been out of the game for some time, so, what do I know?

Upon further review, I might just keep them both.

The price is right.

Gibson, (I hope you're still reading this thread) it now being December, can you tell us if these have finished production and all been shipped yet? Thanks!

BTW, love both my pre-flood Honeyburst and post flood Gold Top, great sound, great feel, great deal on a great guitar. Thanks for making these!!!

Good point. I wonder how many more new ones will be here in this forum??

Maybe Christmas present, perhaps??

Okay, so my GT arrived today all safe and sound. I can understand the gripes on the gig bag. I think the finish is wonderful. The back, you can hardly tell it is two pieces. Overall a well put together guitar. Could not really find any QC issues. I am running a DSL50 into a 1960A cab with greenbacks. I am struggling with the sound I am getting. I have a Les Paul Standard Plus with the Seymour Slash pickups in it and I am getting a much clearer sound from it than the GT. The GT sounds so shrill. I understand that they are completely different pickups, but I would hate to have to adjust my volume and tone settings everytime I switch to the GT. I want to really like this guitar because I think it looks incredible, just not sold on the sound yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I understand that I need to give it some time as well, but right from the start I am not won over by the sound.

Okay, so my GT arrived today all safe and sound. I can understand the gripes on the gig bag. I think the finish is wonderful. The back, you can hardly tell it is two pieces. Overall a well put together guitar. Could not really find any QC issues. I am running a DSL50 into a 1960A cab with greenbacks. I am struggling with the sound I am getting. I have a Les Paul Standard Plus with the Seymour Slash pickups in it and I am getting a much clearer sound from it than the GT. The GT sounds so shrill. I understand that they are completely different pickups, but I would hate to have to adjust my volume and tone settings everytime I switch to the GT. I want to really like this guitar because I think it looks incredible, just not sold on the sound yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I understand that I need to give it some time as well, but right from the start I am not won over by the sound.

I had some of that same issue, and used a EQ Pedal (Boss), with adjustments for the P-90's, with the amp adjusted for my "Classic" LP, with the Humbuckers.

When using the Gold Top, I just stepped on the EQ pedal, and left the amp alone. Seems to have worked out, well...in my own case.

You might try that, at least..see if it can work for you? Good Luck!

Cheers,

CB

Glad the thread is back on page one, wasn't ready to see it drift off yet!

As to tone and amp, memorize your current settings, then go ahead and adjust to suit this guitar. The p'ups are single coils afterall, and they are bright. But they will cry, scream and sing with the best of them. They deserve their own set up. If you dial in a favorite for each guitar, and memorize them, you'll be able to switch the set up in about 5 seconds or less. Better write the old settings down though, you may get to be so enamored with this new guitar, you may not get back to the other for awhile.

Hey guys... I was out of commission for a while. I got slammed at work, had to go out of town for a while, etc... pretty much done for the rest of the month, though.

So long story short, I got my GT back in early Nov. There wasn't a single problem with it. Played great, sounded fantastic. Tiny wear on the top and lower bout. 4 piece back (hmm...). But overall, very excellent.

I kept A-B'ing it against my 339...and I just had a hard time convincing myself to keep it. The 339 matched my playing style better. The 339 played slightly better, but the GT had a sound all its own. I wound up selling it on the fleabay before I went out of town. I think I'll continue my search for a KS-336. But I know the new owner really enjoys it - and he should, because it was a great instrument.

Made a few bucks on it, and bought a new tv...

The end.

[confused]

Well, maybe it's just the approaching holiday... but last week, there were 16 Gold Top Tribute's on the 'Bay, and prices had dropped dramatically. As of this morning, there are two, and prices have climbed back a bit. One sold a couple of days ago for pennies shy of $1260, a recent high. I may throw my NIB one up there later today. The other one is staying (along with the HB), even if I manage to snag an R6! (Though with it here, I'll be more likely to go for an R7...).

You wound up with two GT's? WTH?

Yes. I could have ended up with 5 or more I suspect. But I was simply concerned that my GC order might be canceled or not come in. So when I heard about one in stock at Sam Ash, I bought it. Then I decided not to cancel the other, and thought I might modify it when I got it (was thinking mini humbuckers and/or a Bigsby). Then when it came in, I realized I already had the honeyburst and the other Gold Top. I decided I didn't need three guitars of the same model (keeping two though!). So I'll sell it. Eventually. (It's still NIB).When the time is right (there are no Gold Tops at all on eBay at the moment- at least that I'm finding. But I didn't get my pictures yet...

Those were terrible months of waiting! The owner the instrument shop said, that they feel very lucky that they got one from Gibson. He was skeptical about it because of our geographical placement and the fact we're a small country...And to be honest: after half a year of waiting I feel very lucky too. Hope everything goes well...

Archived