Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BentonC

Tell us about your setup...

Guest BentonC

Dynacoustics- wow. Looks like you have a gear setup that could handle just about anything you'd want to throw at it. Thanks for the extra info on the Langevin stuff. I've been a fan for a few years since a buddy of mine turned me on to them. Pound for pound, some of the best pre's I've heard for the $$.

Guest BentonC

Tommyb- thanks for the extra info on the Boss unit. Looks like you can't get any more compact than that.

It doesn't suprise me that there aren't a lot of useful controls to work with on a unit that small though. Usually with anything that has a decent amount of features in such a small package, you have to sacrifice some conveniences.

I do my recording on a PC with an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard fitted. I work alone most of the time so the lack of inputs isn't really a problem. I do have a 12 into 2 Studiomaster mixer if I need more inputs. I've been using Ableton Live for quite a while but I've recently gone over to Reaper. I still like many things in Ableton but the lack of a proper (proper!!) mixer on the mix down page is a pain. Plus I found it to be pretty buggy. For mic inputs I use either a Joe Meek VC3 voice channel or a TC Electronic Harmony-M. The Harmony-M is really a harmonizer but it works pretty good as a voice channel too. For guitars I use either a Pod v2 or a Behringer VAmp. Both are good at different things, the Behringer is particularly good for clean or mildly overdriven sounds. I use a free sampler VSTi called Shortcircuit for drums and bass over MIDI. The drum samples I got free from the web and are of a 60's Ludwig kit with a Rogers snare and Zildjian cymbals. Bass is a multi-sample of my own Fender Jazz. I could play it in myself but this way I get the same sound and no mistakes. Mic's, I have a couple of condensers and some Shure's and AKG dynamics. I don't use much outboard these days as I find plugins are pretty much as good as most low to middle end hardware that I could afford. For monitoring I use Tannoy Reds which I think sound a little harsh but they seem to translate well to other (Hi-Fi) speaker systems.

Guest BentonC

jonnyg- sounds like a really nice setup. Do you have the Tannoy Reveal or Reveal 6 models? When you say "harsh" about the Tannoys, do you mean that they are just too trebly? The freq. chart on both of them looks to have a pretty flat response starting at about 100Hz, but I suppose your guess is as good as mine as to what conditions they were tested under [wink]

jonnyg- sounds like a really nice setup. Do you have the Tannoy Reveal or Reveal 6 models? When you say "harsh" about the Tannoys, do you mean that they are just too trebly? The freq. chart on both of them looks to have a pretty flat response starting at about 100Hz, but I suppose your guess is as good as mine as to what conditions they were tested under [wink]

Yes, of course I meant Tannoy Reveal's. The guy who recommended them to me kept calling them Tannoy Reds and it kind of stuck. The model I have are the Reveal 601P's. These are my first pair of REAL monitors, although I know they're pretty "low end" and are not going to frighten high end monitor manufacturers. I think I find them harsh because I'm still fairly used to the Tannoy Mercury Custom F1's that I had been using, but when I play mixes made on the "Red's" on the F1's (or any other half decent Hi-Fi speaker) I am getting a better result than I had been. My previous mixes had too much high end.

In another thread you asked what I thought of the M-Audio 24/96. I like it very much. It doesn't have any mic pre amps only L&R line in, digital in/out and MIDI in out. I think it was the best choice for me as I already had the Joe Meek mic channel plus the Harmony-M and it's easy to use an external mixer. I just leave a voice channel plugged into one input and an amp sim in the other so I'm always ready to go. I've got it running with a buffer size of 128 and the latency is barely percptible. For some strange reason the latency seems a tad less with Ableton than it is with Reaper although, as I said, it's so low that it's not a problem with either.

You're absolutely correct that Reaper may force a rethink about music software pricing. I do still like Ableton for some things but Reaper has become my main program. Prior to Ableton I used Samplitude and I couldn't get on with it. Reaper is the music worlds best kept secret. $60.00 to buy ($40.00 at the moment), 5-6Mb download, installs on a memory stick (no registry entries that I can find) and comes with some quite reasonable plugins. Plus, unlike Ableton, Cubase etc, there's just the one version at one price. Maybe if they put it in a nice box with a load of demo add ons and charged three times the price people would take it seriously.

Guest BentonC

Thanks for the detail on the Tannoys. I've heard that they make some great reference monitors for mixes.

+1 on the Reaper comments!

I use Cakewalk SONAR 8.5 DAW software running on an intel quad-core. For recording my guitars: LP Standard, SG61, Firebird, ES135, I always plug straight into my Ceriatone OTS (Dumble clone), miked with an SM57 into a Manley Dual Mono Preamp, then A/D using Delta1010 sound card. I've got a UAD-2 Quad that supplies almost all of the effects processing plugins that I use, with only a couple of exceptions. I usually put foam baffles around the amp to minimize room sound. I use Yamaha HS80M monitors with the matching HS10w subwoofer, and my studio room is treated with bass trap panels, foam and diffusors. The Manley pre also acts as an excellent DI for Bass. For vocals, I use an Alesis/Groove Tubes AM52 large condenser. Drums are mostly samples using VSampler VST.

I don't do music professionally, at least not at this time.

I use my studio to record my own material(a sort of rock/blues/jazz blend)

Andrew

I use Cakewalk SONAR 8.5 DAW software running on an intel quad-core. For recording my guitars: LP Standard, SG61, Firebird, ES135, I always plug straight into my Ceriatone OTS (Dumble clone), miked with an SM57 into a Manley Dual Mono Preamp, then A/D using Delta1010 sound card. I've got a UAD-2 Quad that supplies almost all of the effects processing plugins that I use, with only a couple of exceptions. I usually put foam baffles around the amp to minimize room sound. I use Yamaha HS80M monitors with the matching HS10w subwoofer, and my studio room is treated with bass trap panels, foam and diffusors. The Manley pre also acts as an excellent DI for Bass. For vocals, I use an Alesis/Groove Tubes AM52 large condenser. Drums are mostly samples using VSampler VST.

I don't do music professionally, at least not at this time.

I use my studio to record my own material(a sort of rock/blues/jazz blend)

Andrew

Sounds like a great system. Not wishing to hijack or anything but, what do you think of the VSampler? I've been using a freebie called Shortcircuit. I don't know if you know it but there's two versions, both have good points and bad and sadly the patches from either are not interchangable. With the VSampler if you drag a bunch of numbered samples in and drop them on a key does it map the velocities for you? and is it easy to set mute groups?

Sounds like a great system. Not wishing to hijack or anything but, what do you think of the VSampler? I've been using a freebie called Shortcircuit. I don't know if you know it but there's two versions, both have good points and bad and sadly the patches from either are not interchangable. With the VSampler if you drag a bunch of numbered samples in and drop them on a key does it map the velocities for you? and is it easy to set mute groups?

I'm happy with the VSampler, though I'm no power user, so I can't answer your questions. I believe you can download a demo version, that works but doesn't allow you to save anything. I just use it for setting up drum sets to use on my projects. Apparently the software developer has lost interest in the program - there haven't been any updates in 4 years. It is still available

I am using a Roland VS-1680. My main vocal mike is a Rode NT-1A. I have been thinking about incorporating a tube preamp channel and would be interested in hearing from members who use something like this for vocals. The Presonus Studio channel looks interesting and some of the ART and Focusrite products also seem like possibilies. Universal Audio would be nice, but way outside current budget. Let me know pros and cons of preamps you are using or have used for vocals. Thanks

I also use a Rode NT-1A and I have a presonus Tubepre which actually sounds really nice with that mic. That pre has two knobs, drive and gain. The drive knob lets you adjust the "tube warmth" of the signal and the gain knob is the actualky volume. It sounds great on vocals and acoustic guitars and you cant beat the price

My studio is a bedroom in my condo so I can't get too loud. My setup is a Lexicon Lambda into an HP Pavilion desktop running Sony ACID Pro. I have Sony Sound Forge to edit, Izotope Ozone for mastering, and I'm building a collection of plug-ins, too. I track using Audio-Technica ATH-M40/fs Studiophones.

I've been thinking of going to the Focusrite Saffire 6 as the pres should be better than what I have now. I don't need all the inputs since it's just me doing all of the instruments one at a time. Also, I'll be getting a couple of Shure SM57s so I'll be able to record outside the box.

My recording studio is currently mostly in storage awaiting a new home...In brief though; 40+ guitars, many other instruments, a nice mix of expensive and inexpensive mikes, Korg D3200 DAW, many many tube and solid state amps, and related items......It is capable of pro recordings.....I will slowly switch to a pro tools system as I learn how the system(s) work..And lots of pedals and stuff....fun, fun, fun.....

Howdy

I'm somewhat new to the recording scene myself, as I've been dabbling in some home recording since over the summer.

I'm very much a novice but I've been really surprised with the quality of recordings I've been able to get. I've been using:

- Zoom R16 (using both as an interface and stand-alone)

- Cubase LE 4 (came with the Zoom)

- Digitech RP 255 for various effects and generic drum tracks, usually plugged directly into the Zoom, but sometime through my amp.

- For mic's, I've been using the built in stereo condenser mics on the Zoom, which are GREAT, but I also purchased a dicontinued EV Cardinal condenser mic which I use on my Marshall amp.

It's a pretty basic setup, but I've been satisfied. How could I not be? I don't even know what I'm doing yet...

Still trying to figure out how to do video simultaneously with the audio though. My computer is fairly new - good processor and 4gb of RAM, but when I try and run my webcam app at the same time as Cubase, it pretty much renders both useless. The audio is totally distorted and unlistenable.

Nice- do you find Cubase easy to navigate?

I guess it's easy enough to do basic recordings. I mean, for someone who's never done it before, nor been formally taught, I was able to use it immediately after I installed it. But I know I'm only scratching the surface with it. There's a lot of features I've never looked at yet.

The Zoom is supposed to also be capable of acting as a controller, which would be great if I could figure out how to set that up. If I'm mixing down a recording, and trying to utilize the READ/WRITE features, it's a pain to try and do with a mouse. Having the Zoom as a controller would enable e to use the faders on the Zoom which would no doubt be easier.

For being a "free" program, I've been really pleased with it.

I usually use a Line 6 Pod XT Live as an interface into my Intel iMac. I have it sitting on a stand close to me. I was using Garage Band for many years, but now I mostly use Logic Express. I also have Reason for even more options using midi and samples. Lately I've been using it to make backing tracks from midi files for jamming.

Workstation3.jpg

Guest BentonC

I usually use a Line 6 Pod XT Live as an interface into my Intel iMac. I have it sitting on a stand close to me. I was using Garage Band for many years, but now I mostly use Logic Express. I also have Reason for even more options using midi and samples. Lately I've been using it to make backing tracks from midi files for jamming.

Awesome- I love Reason

Hey guys, new to the forum. I caught the recording bug about 3 years ago and it quickly became a obsession. Started off with a small laptop and a Line 6 interface. I ran out of PC power pretty quickly and upgraded to a tower for audio only, but couldn't afford an Intel I7 so went with the highest spec AMD processor at the time. It's worked well and I also stayed with 32 bit, but I wish I went the 64 bit route now as my sample library has grown and some of the plug in's like Kontakt work much better with more than 4GB if RAM, but it's no show stopper. I use Sonar 8.5.3 Pro I haven't taken the plundge into X1 yet, I will wait a bit longer until they have that sorted out. I have a collection of guitars and basses and I have Guitar Rig 4 to crank them up. For Midi I use a Akai MPK49. Drums, Superior Drummer and Ezydrummer plug in's. Synth's and samplers consist of Kore 2, Kontakt4, Dimension Pro, Rapture and a few other's. Lot's of plug in's for mixing and mastering mainly IK Multi Media T-RackS. I have tried to mix my album about 3 times and I tend to over process trying to acheive loudness. I have used far to much compression so I am going to try a 4th time and go light on with the compression and EQ, hopefully it will sound much more natural this time.

Regards,

McEye

Guest BentonC

Hey guys, new to the forum. I caught the recording bug about 3 years ago and it quickly became a obsession. Started off with a small laptop and a Line 6 interface. I ran out of PC power pretty quickly and upgraded to a tower for audio only, but couldn't afford an Intel I7 so went with the highest spec AMD processor at the time. It's worked well and I also stayed with 32 bit, but I wish I went the 64 bit route now as my sample library has grown and some of the plug in's like Kontakt work much better with more than 4GB if RAM, but it's no show stopper. I use Sonar 8.5.3 Pro I haven't taken the plundge into X1 yet, I will wait a bit longer until they have that sorted out. I have a collection of guitars and basses and I have Guitar Rig 4 to crank them up. For Midi I use a Akai MPK49. Drums, Superior Drummer and Ezydrummer plug in's. Synth's and samplers consist of Kore 2, Kontakt4, Dimension Pro, Rapture and a few other's. Lot's of plug in's for mixing and mastering mainly IK Multi Media T-RackS. I have tried to mix my album about 3 times and I tend to over process trying to acheive loudness. I have used far to much compression so I am going to try a 4th time and go light on with the compression and EQ, hopefully it will sound much more natural this time.

Regards,

McEye

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you have some great plugins.

It is really easy to get carried away with the T-Racks compressor- I think it's one of the best sounding out there as far as plugin comps go. Very punchy, and natural sounding.

I'm a huge fan of EZDrummer too. Haven't tried Superior Drummer yet, but I'm itching to try it out too.

I have the usual software (Samplitude, Sonar… etc.) that I could get and my computer PC. But I decided to focus on the studio monitors and amplifier. I knew that good audio monitors and amp are the key to success in mixing, mastering etc.

I always was choosey concerning sound devices, but it's quite expensive to buy if it's good quality. So I decided to make it myself by means of some special audio publications.

I've been doing amp for about a year, without haste. Choosing preamps I have planned two, but did not know which one is better. And I have made the both and set them in the same amplifier box, and in the middle of the obverse panel I have put two buttons for operative switching from one preamp on another. In it the small know-how has turned out :rolleyes: , they are quality preamps, but different in sound (one traditional with “low”-“Hi” controls, another - 2-way with adjustable cutoff frequencies). So, when the ear no longer feels the sound with one preamp it is possible quickly to switch to the second where the sound is noticeably different. It seems some studio workers, when I have shown it at a studio forum, have become interested in this trick [biggrin] .

Many inexpensive monitors are 2-way and as a rule if they have good “low” then the lack in “middle” :( . I never liked it. Therefore I made small extra boxes for broadband loudspeakers. I also slightly corrected the filters in my inexpensive monitors (in fact, added a third way) and brought out the wires to connect the box. It was much easier to make than the amp :) .

For the raised loudness I have also other monitors, and my guitars have also special active electronics for recording at home.

post-32398-060792800 1314561244_thumb.jpg

post-32398-018128000 1314561271_thumb.jpg