Gibson Brands Forums

Oldest / Historic Les Paul on the Forum

IMF

Just wondered who had the oldest Gibson on the forum and can we see some pitures.

Also wondered about peoples stories, if anyone has a guitar that was owned or played by a artist/guitarist/guitar hero or forum members playing with their guitar hero's, etc. Thought it may generate some good photos and anecdotes.

This is a great question. I would love to see some of the vintage stuff everyone has out there.

I know this does not fall into the story of playing with anyone catagory but still a good story I think.

I used to do home renovations in college. I worked for the school and we would buy old houses around campus to fix up for families that could not afford housing while going to school. Anyway the school bought a house from this lady who had lived there her whole life (she was in her 60's at the time) so she had a TON of stuff just piled up around the house. She just wanted to get out of the house and she told us to clean it out. So the school borught in a huge dumpster and our boss tells us to start cleaning. Well long story short as we were digging through the stuff we found a Gibson Les Paul in the case in one of the rooms up on the second floor. I had no idea how old it was, but she said she had bought it for her son when he was "younger" (not sure how old) and he played it for about a year and then never touched the thing again. When we added it all together we figured it had to be a 60's.

She told us we could take it if we wanted it. It was in amazing cosmetic shape but the neck was twisted and the metal was really tarnished. Unfortunately I was not the one who found it and the guy I worked with played guitar also so he grabbed it. I wish I had it today. I am not sure if he ever got it fixed ot if it was fixable with the neck twist, but it still would have been a great conversation piece and nice to have.

Just wondered who had the oldest Gibson on the forum and can we see some pitures.

Also wondered about peoples stories' date=' if anyone has a guitar that was owned or played by a artist/guitarist/guitar hero or forum members playing with their guitar hero's, etc. Thought it may generate some good photos and anecdotes.[/quote']

Welcome to the forum fellow Merseysider! :-#

Although not a member here' date=' if you want to see the real deal, look at Mike Slubowski's guitars.

(Then click 'guitars' on the left.)

I think he may be a member here, but I can't remember which name. I remember about a month ago there someone who posted some comments in this forum about how supportive their wife is about their guitar collection. I saw the exact same quote by Mike in an article about him on the Lifestyle section of this website. Either that or someone copied and pasted his quote and used it as their own in this forum.

Just go here.. You won't find a more informative thread re Les Paul Historics on the internet.

The first Historics were introduced in 1993.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139795

Phil.

http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=161&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=%25&orderby=hits+DESC&volltext=

The first Historics were introduced in 1993.

Before them came the 'pre-historics' and before that the 'Heritage' series.

I played a 1983 (I think) Heritage LP Gold Top the other day at Mansons. Boy' date=' it was lovely. The Tim Shaw 'buckers sounded very good. The only thing that made me think it wasn't worth the £1800 asking price, which was otherwise [i']very[/i] reasonable, was that it was approaching the need for a refret.

The lacquer had crazed beautifully. So much nicer than a Tom Murphy finish.

Age and history are only one part of this equation. I was in a bookstore yesterday sipping on a Starbucks reading a Vintage Guitar magazine. The value of these historic guitars (the real deals) is amazing. Saw a couple of real 57 Goldtops going for $155 to 160 k range. Can't even imagine.

Archived