Gibson Brands Forums

Birdsbeak

jem77pmc

Hello all. My name is Sean and I am new to the board. I recently purchased a Doves in Flight and absolutely love it. I have some stupid questions that I hope you all can help me with:

1. The binding says multi ply with birdsbeak. Is the birdsbeak the way the binding is shaped (coming to a kind of point) just above the soundhole?

2. I am a relatively new acoustic player (I have been an electric player for 25 years) and am looking at string options. It was recommended to be to try either Pearce (sp?) strings or D'Addario Phosphor Bronze 12 gauge with a wound G string. Your thoughts on these strings and recommendations on some other would be most appreciated.

Thank you - btw I LOVE this board.

Sean

Welcome to the Gibson forums, Sean! Not only is it fun and informative, but you get to watch all sorts of supernatural happenings, such as entire threads, and even the whole forum disappear from time-to-time! It's an adventure.

Bird's beak? Hmmm, might have something to do with it coming to a point as you mention. Or maybe they're sacrificing toucans out there in Montana to make binding. Who knows?

Strings? John Pearse aren't bad. My own favorite is D'Addario EJ16's, which I've recently decided are best. Other decent options are Gibson Masterbuilts, and DR Sunbeams. Some people like coated strings, such as Cleartones, and Elixir Nanowebs, but I'm not a big fan of coated strings. They grow hair and feel like somebody sneezed on them.

Uncle Buck

The bird's beak is definitely where the fretboard comes to a point down by the soundhole... you can just barely see it on my avatar...

I agree with the D'Addario and Pearse recommendation and would add Martin phosphor bronzes to the list... they always seem to sound great.

By the way, Martin is making a set now that is in between light and medium... I have a set on my D-28 Marquis and they are, to me, a perfect combination of playability and volume/tone.

Good luck... that's a beautiful guitar!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I tried the D'Adario strings and they are awesome!! I will try your other suggestions next. The guitar is very warm and woody sounding.

Like i said, I am new to acoustic playing and notice a lot of string squeaks when I switch chords, particularly barre chords. Is there anything that cuts down on string squeaking?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I tried the D'Adario strings and they are awesome!! I will try your other suggestions next. The guitar is very warm and woody sounding.

Like i said' date=' I am new to acoustic playing and notice a lot of string squeaks when I switch chords, particularly barre chords. Is there anything that cuts down on string squeaking?

[/quote']

Howdy, and welcome to the forum. D'Addario EJ-16's are excellent sounding strings. I've used them for 25 or 30 years. Others are good also. The squeaking should subside as your strings play in. They pretty much all do that when new although less with the coated strings.

Thanks you all so much for the advice!!

One more question: A friend of mine suggested a humidifier for the guitar and I bought the little Planet Waves humidifer where you dampen the sponge put in in the device and it slides between the D ang G strings and sort of hangs suspended in the soundhole.

The only problem is the nut width on this guitar is narrow (1.545 I believe) that the device holds the D and G string spread apart. Will this cause any harm?

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on such a nice guitar! :-s

IIRC, Bill Gonder from Gibson mentioned during the last Homecoming's history section that the 'birds' beak' - as it was called - was designed to 'mirror,' and thereby accentuate, the indent on the end of the headstock.

I'm using the Planet Waves humidifiers in all my guitars, and really like them. As Mike mentioned, though, make sure you shake them vigorously over the sink a few times after filling them, to make sure there's no extra water inside that could possibly drip into the guitar body.

Have a great time with that 'puppy!'

Dave in SLC

Archived