Gibson Brands Forums

Hardshell case for the Gibson Blues King

JimDoire

Hello - Does anybody make a hard case for the Gibson Blues King? The gig bag it came with has done a fine job protecting it but I'm doing more and more travel with it and I know it's only a matter of time before it will not be able to protect my guitar.

The guitar by the way is amazing! Easy to play, great volume for it's size and just looks so cool. It's got so much mojo dripping off it you have to wash your hands after your done playing.

Most cases made for a classical guitar will fit it. I like the L-00 reissue too. I have a fairly recent one made of bubinga which was previously owned by two other forum members. When I read some of the things out there on the net about this guitar I really shake my head because mine is a splendid sounding and playing (and nice-looking) guitar.

Welcome to the forum' date=' Jim! Try measuring the guitar and plugging in the numbers here:

http://www.ameritage.com/measuringform.php

The website form will steer you to the correct fit for your guitar. And those are some [i']very[/i] nice cases.

Uncle Buck

Thanks Buck. If that place cannot get my set up with a case, nobody can.

Thanks again,

Jim

Most cases made for a classical guitar will fit it. I like the L-00 reissue too. I have a fairly recent one made of bubinga which was previously owned by two other forum members. When I read some of the things out there on the net about this guitar I really shake my head because mine is a splendid sounding and playing (and nice-looking) guitar.

I think those same people make me shake my head too. To me, I fall back on the old Les Paul vs Stratocaster argument. One doesn't not sound better than they other because while they sound different, they both sound great. The Blue King is not going to sound like a dreadnought or a classical or jumbo because it none of those guitars. But it IS going to sound like an awesome small bodied acoustic guitar because that's all it is. I think some people have a single "acoustic guitar" sound stuck in their head and if a guitar doesn't have that sound, then they automatically point that out as a flaw. To each their own I guess.

On a personal note, this guitar has improved my playing because of it's voicing. Maybe it's because it does have a thinner sound or less volume but since I bought this guitar (about four years ago) my fingerstyle playing has improved greatly. This guitar wants to be played!! And it pushes me to play in way to let all those really cool sounds out. Let people complain, this guitar will be with me for the rest of my life.

I picked up a 2004 L-00 Blues King last summer at Elderly in Lansin, MI. I got a Guardian case when I was there. It is pretty nice vintage style cae for about $100, fits it well.

It also fits in my Canadian classical case I got from finecases.com ($150). This case is archtop-bottom and is a bit better, but I would recommend either.

The L-00 BK is my favorite guitar. It is warm and very punchy. There playability is outstanding. The neck and body shape are SO comfortable. Everythime I try to put it away for a few days to play one of my other guitars, it finds it's way back into my hands. It does want to be played.

I even play classical on it, even though the CYM-95 is clearly a superior classical guitar. Classical on a Blues guitar, crazy, huh?

Great thread.

I bought a 2007 Blues King in January and have really enjoyed it. I have two nice Martins, but have been thinking about going with one acoustic guitar -- the Blues King. I play ("play at" really) a bunch of other instruments and the BK fills the guitar slot perfectly for what I want since I seldom play out anymore. I also play a lot in the ole "recliner" (being a bit old and lazy), the BK fits nicely. I've found it sounds quite good recorded and like others it has really helped my playing, such that it is.

I'm looking for a hard case too, so I'll check into the great recommendations provided by others. Thanks.

I've searched, but haven't found much recently on the internet about strings, saddle mods, etc., people have tried on their BK. Any links, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I got mine second-hand so it had probably had some setup done on it. When I got it, it had very light strings which did not drive the top well in my opinion. Possibly they were old too. I put some Martin fingerstyle lights on there and it sounded much better. Later I put John Pearse New Mediums on there sanded down the bottom of the saddle a bit and tweaked the truss rod for the heavier strings. It is not quite as chimey as my OM-21, but it has its own soulful and punchy sound which is rich and full, and the playability and comfort of it are outstanding. Heavier strings help a lot.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Gibson customer services told me to get my local dealer to order this one - C-388 GZ

They contacted Gibson who told them they'd never heard of it.... ???

I've just ordered a Hiscox PRO-GCL-M instead -

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/proguitar_hiscox.htm#progclm

The specs are just about perfect... a half cm too deep.

If they can produce a hard case for the $300 Epiphone copy (code: el-0cs) then it seems crazy that Gibson aren't prepared to offer one for a guitar costing $2,500, even if it isn't included in the base price.

Gibson customer services told me to get my local dealer to order this one - C-388 GZ

They contacted Gibson who told them they'd never heard of it.... ???

I've just ordered a Hiscox PRO-GCL-M instead -

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/proguitar_hiscox.htm#progclm

The specs are just about perfect... a half cm too deep.

If they can produce a hard case for the $300 Epiphone copy (code: el-0cs) then it seems crazy that Gibson aren't prepared to offer one for a guitar costing $2,500, even if it isn't included in the base price.

Gibson does offer the case. The case number C-388 GZ is correct. Your dealer needs to contact Gibson/Montana as the other divisions would have no clue. Gibson doesn't like to sell cases as they just order enough for their production needs and selling one would leave them short but your dealer can work it out for you. The decision that Gibson made to ship the guitars in gig bags was a very short sighted one. They should have sold with the hardshaell case and had the gig bag as an option. That was a decision from an uniformed marketing person.

The decision that Gibson made to ship the guitars in gig bags was a very short sighted one. They should have sold with the hardshaell case and had the gig bag as an option. That was a decision from an uniformed marketing person.

No kidding. Everyone who acquires one of these guitars and likes it ends up going through this same silly search for a well-fitting case. Hint, hint Gibson.

Everyone?

Ok maybe not everyone. I haven't heard a single owner speak up and say yeah the blues king gig bag works great to protect the guitar when I go places with it and no hard case is needed. We have seen numerous threads here over the years asking for help getting a case for them. I myself am on my third hardshell case for this guitar (finally bought a gibson case from another member here) and have spent three or four hundred on blues king cases since getting the guitar. The gig bag is nice for moving around in a house or maybe on a picnic, but I am pretty sure the guitar will get scratched and dinged if you put it in a car trunk with other objects and only use the gig bag.

They are producing several versions of the L-00 now and all the others come with cases I believe, so you do have a choice if you are buying new.

My L-OO Legend came with a beautiful reproduction "redline" case: arch top, arch back, removable second neck rest, and perfectly fitted. It's one of the nicest cases I own, but it weighs a ton! Not sure who made it, as it is totally unlike any of the TKL or other Gibson cases I have.

My L-OO Legend came with a beautiful reproduction "redline" case: arch top, arch back, removable second neck rest, and perfectly fitted. It's one of the nicest cases I own, but it weighs a ton! Not sure who made it, as it is totally unlike any of the TKL or other Gibson cases I have.

The Legend Redline cases are hand built by TKL. Legends come with the Redline case, The TV guitars come with the bown TV case, Some with a deluxe case, others with the standard case and yes the Blues King comes with a Gig Bag. if someone is in need of more prtection it is possible to order a case thru your local dealer.

The Legend Redline cases are hand built by TKL. Legends come with the Redline case, The TV guitars come with the bown TV case, Some with a deluxe case, others with the standard case and yes the Blues King comes with a Gig Bag. if someone is in need of more prtection it is possible to order a case thru your local dealer.

Hi Jeremy

Have you got the product code for the hard case? Customer services gave me a one (C-388 GZ - said she'd checked it with the Montana division and their sales department) but when my local dealer contacted Gibson they said they'd never heard of it.

Thanks

Archived