Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Pro Deluxe with Humbuckers

Boyle06

I was given a 1976 Les Paul Pro Deluxe back in 1984. When I received the guitar it had humbucker pickups on it. I did not think anything about it until I was reading a year or so back that the Pro Deluxe model normally would have shipped with P-90's. I cannot tell that these pickups are anything but factory, but I have the feeling that the original P-90's were probably replaced with humbuckers in the years before I received the guitar. The humbuckers that are on the instrument are genuine Gibson and from what I can tell are period correct. I have two questions that I hope the folks on this forum might be able to tell me:

1) Does it make any sense to replace the humbuckers back to P-90's?

2) Would they have had to modify the holes that the P-90's were in so the Humbuckers would fit?

The humbuckers have worked and played without any issues, so the only reason I would even consider doing this is to bring the instrument back to factory specs.

I have to believe that the guitars value would be more if it had the original pickups, but since I am not looking to sell it that is not all that important to me.

Being new to this forum, I really enjoy the great information that I have been able to get by reading the posts. I would really appreciate any information or thoughts you may have on this.

Yes, they are almost certainly a mod. The originals would have been minihumbuckers. But some of the original Les Paul Deluxe guitars were factory routed for full size humbuckers and then had plastic rings around them to fill in the space between the minihumbuckers and the body. So it was an easy mod with no extra routing to fit full size humbuckers. If you have a look under your pickups you will probably be able to tell if the pickup cavities are factory routed or not.

Thank you for the information. Since this is a 'Pro Deluxe' model, according to Gibson it would have normally shipped with Soap Bar P-90's. Would that have required the Pickup Cavities to be routed or are they the same as a Humbucker?

Thank you for the information. I have looked in the cavities on this guitar and can not tell that is was ever routed. The wood under the pickups is stained black like the body of the guitar, it just does not have any lacquer on it. From your post, it does sound like the Pro Deluxe did, on rare occasions, come with Humbuckers. I wonder if mine is one of those odd balls? I think I am going to pull the pickups and take a closer look, there may be something that I am missing. Either way, I really appreciate your feedback, since they would have had to route the guitar if the humbuckers were added, putting P-90's on it would not be feasible.

Archived