Gibson Brands Forums

CJ ToneRite Treatment

Buc McMaster

After four days of ToneRite treatment the little CJ does show some tonal improvement. Overall it's much warmer sounding, much less "brash" in tone. It might be a bit louder as well, but I won't say that for sure........could just be my feeble mind imagining that. It's certainly rounder and smoother. It already had good balance across the strings but the treatment seems to have smoothed everything out. It does not seem to have changed as much as my SJ200 did but it did make an audible difference in the guitar's voice. One thing I noticed in both guitars: bar chords sound much more like open string chords. Weird.

I'm very pleased with the instrument and what the ToneRite device did for it.

After four days of ToneRite treatment the little CJ does show some tonal improvement. Overall it's much warmer sounding' date=' much less "brash" in tone. It might be a bit louder as well, but I won't say that for sure........could just be my feeble mind imagining that. It's certainly rounder and smoother. It already had good balance across the strings but the treatment seems to have smoothed everything out. It does not seem to have changed as much as my SJ200 did but it did make an audible difference in the guitar's voice. One thing I noticed in both guitars: bar chords sound much more like open string chords. Weird.

I'm very pleased with the instrument and what the ToneRite device did for it.

[/quote']

Buc.....your result sounds very similar to what I got after using the TR on my CJ. Although with my particular CJ ..... I would say that the TR 'did in fact' make mine louder. I agree with your assessment regarding bar chords after TR. Much more open sounding, but with my CJ the whole guitar just sounds much more open. I have one song in particular I play that has a jump to barred "B" at the 7th fret then barred "A" at 5th fret that I never used to play on my CJ...it never sounded as good as the same song on my Martin. Now after the TR treatment on my CJ I have switched over and play that song on my CJ because now the barred chords sound great!!

I have found that it is important to get the right level of "vibration" for each guitar. My CJ I used the high setting for 48 hours then brought it down to medium setting for a day and for any additional TR sessions. My little John How Ladder Braced Concert Guitar is a very light and already very open sounding guitar. I almost decided not to even bother using the TR on it, but decided to try it on about 1/3 setting and it helped it....made it even louder and gave it more presence. I really think if I had used the TR on high on this guitar it would have been a mistake.

My Washburn 125th Annv. Parlor has a very unusual almost banjo sound to it. I tried the TR on it set on high for about 12 hours and pulled it off to check its sound and was shocked that it sounded kinda muddy and had lost some if that cool banjo sound. I pulled off the TR. Maybe there are some guitars that are better off with out the TR.....but I am also wondering if that particular guitar might benefit if I set the TR to low or half?? I don't know but as I play with the TR I am beginning to realize that you don't want to just set it to high and forget it, but you need to experiment with each guitar to get just the right settings to make it sound its best.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna throw my little Goodall on the ToneRite. It sounds great now' date=' but it it were just a little more expansive across the lower mid-range, it would be perfect.[/quote']

BK....In my limited experience the smaller lightly built guitars like my John How and your Goodall are guitars that I would maybe start at half setting and avoid the high setting all together...especially if you are already pretty satisfied with its sound and only want a little extra out of it.

Let me know how it goes with that guitar ....what setting you use and your results.

BK....In my limited experience the smaller lightly built guitars like my John How and your Goodall are guitars that I would maybe start at half setting and avoid the high setting all together...especially if you are already pretty satisfied with its sound and only want a little extra out of it.

Let me know how it goes with that guitar ....what setting you use and your results.

I'll try that. I've never even plugged in the "volume" control. I just usually run it full throttle.

P.S. I really need to get this thing back to the very kind forum fella who loaned it to me. picknguy, if you're reading, I'm just hoping to keep it a little longer to run on my Taylor BTO that's on the way.

I agree with your assessment regarding bar chords after TR.

I wonder why this improvement comes to be. Bar chords have always seemed to lack "throat" and presence compared to open string chords, but after the TR treatment this is greatly improved. Is it a harmonic content thing?

My CJ sounded a little boxy before and had more of the thump of a mahogany body guitar. The ToneRite seems to have awaked the rosewood - the thump is not present as it was before; sounds more like a rosewood instrument.

I still wait for my Tone Rite...

A whole month!

Well I am next on the rental list, should be about a week longer I think.

I wanted to buy one but only have my J45 to treat, so I am interested what 15 dollars worth of vibrating for a week will do to it.

Funny, how last year it seemed that Colosi bridge pins were the new thing to try. This year, many of us seem more receptive to try the Tonerite ( I recall too that last year the ToneRite idea met with much more controversy than today).

And what about next year? Got to be something else new out there to try out.

I just received my second set of Bob Colosi bone bridge pins in the mail yesterday. I put these white ones without inlays on my 2010 Gibson SJ-200 "True Vintage" and they look and sound great. Don't know why Gibson uses such cheapo bridge pins on such a pricey guitar, but I thank the Gibson forum for the tip on both the Colosi bridge pins (GillianGirl) and the ToneRite (dhenners). Tips and suggestions are definitely part of the "Forum's fun".

Thanks again,

Jack6849

I have had great success with my Collings D2H and Ok results with my J 50.

I must say it is nice to hear some grown up descusion about the Tonerite from people who have used it. The latest thread on the Accoustic Guitar Forum about the Tonerite it off the deep end with ridicule for those sho use it. I don't understand why people who have not used it what to tell everyone it is no good. If you have used it and it does not work that is a valid statement.

I have learned a lot from all the guitar forums on the internet but the one thing I have learned recently is there are a few topics not worth bringing up on some of the other forums.....too bad. Glad things are a little more civil here and on the Collings Guitar forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the traveling roadshow Tonerite rental today and started a 7 day treatment, so I will report my findings.

Wonder how many places it has visited? I asked that from Ray the owner, so I will post his response, if he tells me.[lol]

I decided to keep my damp-it humidifier tube inside the soundhole, while the treatment goes on. Not sure of any impact on the success of the Tonerite while using the damp-it. But, I know by not using my damp-it in this desert environment, it could cause a more serious issue, and that's a risk I am not going to take with my J45.[cool]

I got my ToneRite on Father's Day and my first experiment was a 150 Hour treatment on a 2010 Martin D-28 Marquis. I haven't changed the strings yet but upon removing the ToneRite, the guitar sounded more balanced with a bit more focus. Notes played up the neck as in the Beatles' "Blackbird" seemed to ring with a bit more clarity and definition, and as others have noted, for some reason the guitar seems somewhat easier to play, or at least to get a dynamic range of notes out of.

Tunes involving a capo like "Here Comes the Sun" which is capoed at the 7th fret and fingered in "D" to get to the original key of "A" seem to ring more clearly and with more definition as well. All these effects are subtle but undeniable, and as I say, I haven't changed the D-28's strings yet. For a first effort, I'm happy with my ToneRite.

Since Sunday evening the ToneRite has been on my second experiment, a 2009 Martin 000-42 Marquis. Can't wait till Saturday to see what happens to that one. Then I plan to give it a go on a special order Custom Shop J-200 Jr. I received from Bozeman recently. All three of these guitars have Adirondack tops and they already sound great, so we'll see how the ToneRite works out. So far, so good.

Hi Buc,

Jack6849

My guitar is presently on it's 4th day of treatment using the Tonerite I rented. It hasn't fallen apart yet. Yay.:-k I am doing 7 days total.

I came across this and thought it interesting. Don't know how credible his statement is but interesting. So I may do followups with a 6 dollar aquarium pump after I return the 15 dollar rental.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=300096756696&topic=16472

Here is an excerpt:

I went to Pet Smart and purchased a $6 dollar fish tank air pump. I took it home and opened it up. I rigged it in such a way that it would produce maximum guitar top vibration and left it on the instrument for 72hrs. The results, The guitar feels like it responds better, a bit fuller in sound, but mostly it has more dynamics. I know I have too much time on my hands...but I also have an extra $144 in my pocket and a guitar that sounds great;)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay completed 7 days nonstop.. The Cleartones on the guitar did not suffer too bad, except the bass E string did take a hit. My initial observation was that the guitar had more projection and was brighter. It did make a change in the sound no doubt.

A few days later I changed strings to 12 g.PB D 'Addario's and replaced my Pinz bridge pins and put my Colosi bone pins back in.

Overall sound is greatly improved and now the warmth is there with a new natural sounding brightness at times. The PINZ had given the guitar some added volume and sustain, that now is present with just the use of the bone pins (and I attribute this change to the Tonerite treatment).

Is it a dramatic difference? Well not really, but it is a definitely a "good" difference. The soundboard seems to be working now. I can feel increased vibration under my fingers when they rest on the pick guard, after each strum.

So I would recommend that if you have the opprotunity to use a Tonerite then you should. It's pretty expensive, so if you own only one acoustic that needs treatment then I would still opt to rent one, if possible.

Archived