Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard String Change

tex792

I just replaced the strings on my new SG Standard. I used D'Addario 10's and made no other adjustments but now I'm getting bad fret buzz. Don't SG's come with 10's from the factory? This is my first expensive guitar and I'm wary about making adjustments to it without advice. Do I just need to raise the action a bit probably? If I raise it, will I also need to move the saddles at all? Or do I need to adjust the truss rod?

I just replaced the strings on my new SG Standard. I used D'Addario 10's and made no other adjustments but now I'm getting bad fret buzz. Don't SG's come with 10's from the factory? This is my first expensive guitar and I'm wary about making adjustments to it without advice. Do I just need to raise the action a bit probably? If I raise it' date=' will I also need to move the saddles at all? Or do I need to adjust the truss rod?[/quote']

I use D'Addario 10's on my standard and they work /sound best for me in my opinion.What frets are buzzing,and is the buzzing occurring while playing any open strings or fretted ,and if fretted,what frets?

Tex,

My first guess is you accidentally bumped the thumbwheels setting the bridge height.

With no tension on the bridge, they move easily.

Figure out which side is worst. (high or low E)

Try slacking the strings slightly and raising the bridge a little to compensate.

There should be no crazy adjustments needed so suddenly after a string change.

I've done the same thing myself, more than once.

Good luck.

Just because the high E is a 10, doesn't mean the rest of the strings will be the exact same size. I've seen a few differences.

If you raise the action, you may not like playing it as much. Up here, most shops give you a free set up with every guitar you purchase...have it set up by a pro.

The best thing you can do is buy a guitar maintenance book. It'll tell you how to do everything.

Thanks for the info everybody! I ended up raising the action, but it got pretty high before the buzz went away. I know it wasn't that far up before I changed strings. I'm going to take it in to a shop later this week. I'll let everyone know how it comes out.

The only time I remove all my strings at the same time is for a semi-annual fret board cleaningconditioning, and I only do those when I'm virtually certain I won't be interrupted during the process. Aside from the bridge issues, I don't want to leave my neck without string tension for any length of time for fear of warpage.

For regular string changes, I just do one at a time so if I do get interrupted, I've still got tension on the neck and bridge until I can resume.

Archived