Gibson Brands Forums

Wonder what the poor people are doing.....

ksdaddy

.... while I live the life of leisure?

I've only got 2 acres and most of it is crap ground, wet and wooded. A stream forms one border and I have a bigass beaver pond out there. This spring they cut down all the trees within a certain distance of the power lines and just left them. What a mess. We've been picking away at it. I was able to get my garden tractor down there (quite a drop from road level) and took a lot with the little cart. Tonight I was able to get the '43 Farmall down there with the rock cart.

You would not believe how dense and snaggy this crap is. I can dull the chain saw in 20 minutes. The roots run along the top of the ground and are all tangled. It's ground that's never had a thing done to it and I picked up a full garbage bag of old bottles, some from the 50s.

Notice my wife is working while I'm taking pictures....

2ex59op.jpg

2rwb7kh.jpg

2r6fxh5.jpg

f4fl2e.jpg

Looks like fun!

Hard work, no doubt, but fun!

Would any of those bottles from the 'fifties be collectable? [confused]

Love the old tractor too!

...I've only got 2 acres...

ONLY!

In London most folks are glad even if they just have a garden the size of a postage stamp!

The Farmalls were very cool.

Case/New Holland has re-introduced the 8N, although it's probably an import (I didn't check, so don't know).

Tractor are like guitars, very collectable and unique.

Although, having said that, I don't think I've ever seen one relic-ed on purpose......

:-k

I bought it in 2003 for $300. It had been abused beyond what any tractor deserved. I've slowly amassed parts that had been cut off with torches or otherwise destroyed. I have not yet repaired the charging system; I start it and it then runs off the magneto (it has a magneto and a generator). It also has two tanks, one small one for gasoline to start it on, another for distillate (kerosene?) because it was cheaper then. I just run it on regular gas. The hydraulic pump works but I don't have anything to run with it. I even found a belt pulley so it can run a sawmill or whatever.

I have no plans to make it into a parade tractor; I take care of it and it has a pretty easy life, but just about the time I sprayed new red paint on it, I wouldn't want to get it dirty.

A big farmer (physical size and thickness of wallet) found out my tractor was originally bought by his great grandfather in '43. He pretty much offered me a blank check for it so he could restore it and get it back into the family but I politely refused. It's the first and only tractor I've owned and I plan to keep it.

Y'all have to understand KSDADDY. It's a working tractor. If he painted it up, got new decals, shift knob, put on a new set of skins and rechromed the front sight, it would look to nice to do anything but drive in a parade. Parades don't pay that well. That, and.. I don't know Mrs KSDADDY, but I don't suspect she's of a mind to pull the rock wagon all by her lonesome.

KSDADDY is of the Fix-it-so-it-works-cosmetics-are-for-sissies school of restoration.

Archived