Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboards

If you really want an Ebony board on your "Absolute favorite, won't even consider playing another" SG, and money is no object, then do it.

Why not?

But, are you willing to be without your guitar while this undoubtedly expensive modification is being done?

Have you played an ebony boarded SG and know what your's might play/sound like if the mod. is done?

Can you find a luthier you trust?

Also, that raises questions such as "How much are you willing to spend?" If you said you're willing to spend the amount a new, or used custom, etc. ebony boarded SG costs, then why not buy a guitar that doesn't need to be modded?

If this is a very special guitar, and you don't want another, and really have your heart set on an ebony board, then that's something to consider too.

Usually, no two situations when it comes to something like this are exactly alike.

I'm just guessing, but I'll bet it's a bigger and more expensive pain to mod one, than just finding an SG with an ebony board that you like.

It's not cheap.

I had an old guitar that the truss rod no longer was able to make adjustments. To replace the truss rod, they would have to remove the fretboard. The avg cost on the fretbrd removal from 3 dif shops was around $500.

Not to mention, that's a major thing to do to a guitar. My SG Jr. is nearing time for a fret jod and that makes me cringe as it is.

IMO, your best bet is to buy one that already has the ebony fretbrd, as already suggested.

One upside to changing a fingerboard. You could use the opportunity to have customized inlay cut and installed or you could have no inlay at all. It would cost a fair amount, but in the end you would have a one of a kind instrument.

ok, I guess the one question would be: WHY? What are you hoping to accomplish by having an ebony fretboard put on? Is it for cosmetics or feel?

As said, you're talking at least $500... in LABOR. To remove the fretboard they would need to steam the neck to loosen the glue, and then pry it off carefully. As you want a new fretboard, you then have to take into account the costs of material, the binding, inlaying, etc. You'd almost be spending enough to get a new SG.

the sg standard ebony would have been cool with ebony fretboard, no doubt about it. If its the ebony sg you got , and you can get it done for 600-1000$ maby with your signature inlays. then we are taking a one of a kind bad *** sg[cool] . go for it[biggrin]

if you want to have an sg with an ebony fretboard you can have a look at some of the early run of the faded specials' date=' i have heard they go for pretty cheap.[/quote']

You are right, i recently sold a 2002 special faded cherry sg with ebony fretboard for 550$. It was kinda beaten up but this guy really wanted it.

well heres the deal i bought this sg used and when i started playing it i noticed the fretboard was very dry. Also the frets seem more "rough" than any other guitar i have played. I know i can condition the board and fix it but i just prefer an ebony board. I bought this sg extremly cheep, $500, so even if i do have to put in another $500 it would still be cheaper than a standard. I trust my luthier, he has fixed all my guitars in the past and he builds guitars at his shop so thats not a problem. I just dont have 3 grand to spend on a custom.

mysgs.jpg

sg.jpg

it was $800 then i had 15% and my grandma gave me some money[biggrin] so only $500 came out of my pocket. Great price IMO the thing is in mint condition.

how many ebony fretboard guitars have you owned before? the feel isn't that much different, and if the frets themselves are rough that has absolutely nothing to do with the fretboard: it means they need a good cleaning and/or level and crowning.

I'm sorry but I'm going to say this is just a waste of money, and any GOOD luthier will probably ask you if you've been smoking something lately.

What im trying to say is my frets are rough i know i might be able to fix it, but if i cant and need to replace them im gonna change the finger board too. I dont own any guitars with ebony boards only played them. It sounds more crisp to me. Its just a personal preference. IMO if im getting my frets ripped out and replaced ill take off the finger board too, my neck is already going to be in peices

Archived