Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Player

elessar820

I'm Jim and I just picked up my first Les Paul, a 2008 Les Paul BFG Limited in Silverburst. I've always been a silverburst Les Paul fan since I was a kid and started playing, but 20 years later I have one, or something close enough. Honestly, I thought my Strat was the best guitar that I owned and thought that was it, but this thing is unbelievable, but I may rewire it to a traditional 2 volume, 2 tone, 3 way switch set up. I've played mainly Ibanez since I picked guitar up 7 years ago after a 6 year break, but I was getting bored with them and started playing Strats last year. So basically after selling off 10 guitars (8 Ibanez, 1 LTD, 1 Fender) in the last year I'm left with one Ibanez SZ520, 1 Fender Highway One Strat and this bad boy right here:

lespaul077.jpg

lespaul079.jpg

lespaul080.jpg

Congrats for having the first BFG that I've actually liked the look of. It is, as you say, a 'Bad Boy'!

Welcome to the forum and well done for managing to post such groovy pics in your first post! Your guitar family sounds really well balanced, ready for all sorts of musical challenges.

There are plenty of silverburst fans on this board, no doubt they'll be chipping in soon!

Funny that you say your were getting bored with your Ibanez'. I have found the same thing. They had been my favorite guitar because of the necks and ease of play, but I have found the Les Paul in my hands more and more as of late. To be honest, I am finding it to be more versatile.

Enjoy and NICE looking guitar.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've owned a few RG's, SA's, SZ's, AX's a Studio, a Roadstar and a Blazer as well as a 2 Highway One Strats and an LTD SC-200 that I won in that big Hot Topic contest last year. I liked them all but I wanted something new. My main guitars to this point were an Ibanez SZ520 and a Surf Green Highway One Strat. Mainly because all of the Strats I tried felt the same, which isn't a bad thing, because I like them and Ibanez quality has dropped drastically and they discontinued the SZ. I wanted to get the Les Paul Menace, but it had to be ordered. I was iffy about the BFG before I actually saw it in person, but they are actually kind of cool looking. I got probably the best deal I'll ever get on a guitar too, all BFG's regular and limited were $799.99 w/ case. I basically got $500 off of this guitar brand new. I sold my SZ720 and Sunburst Highway One Strat to pay for it, I wanted to upgrade and downsize.

I never liked the look of the BFG until I saw it in person. I didn't have much experience with P-90s until now, I was actually going to put a Phat Cat in the neck of my SZ720, but I decided to get the BFG and sell the 720. I got an amazing deal on it, $799.99, it almost feels like I stole it. I always liked single coils in the neck for clean tones and the P-90 is no different, the Burstbucker is awesome too.

Sweet BFG! Welcome. I would think that thing's got to sound great. It gots a BB ant a P90 to boot. How can you go wrong? If I were to buy a LP it would be in Silverburst. Oh, I did and it is! Welcome to the SB club as well.

Now I gotz much gas for a LP with P90s. O:)

Honestly, the BFG is a lot better looking in person. The limited in Ink and Natural are really nice too, they had Bullion Burst in stock but not on the floor. I am going to mod it a bit though. Going to make it 2 volume, 2 tone, three way switch in the correct spot with black speed knobs and maybe cover the pickup.

Archived