Gibson Brands Forums

BFG Question

elessar820

oh... that (yeah like i noticed that before... who am i trying to fool?)

the only use i can see for that is this:

the humbucking pickup is mounted in a way that if you need to take it out it is easy to take out (just pull it), but the p90 looks like its difficult to get a gripp of, specially if it is placed too tight into the body (as it looks), so my guess is that little channel is where you can insert a screwdriver or something and help pull the pickup out with it (after you have removed the screws attaching the pickup to the body).

I have the Studio BFG and there is no channel on mine, just a regular finished top like a LP studio. Is that channel on your guitar, or are you just noticing it in the Gibson Photo?

If I am looking at the same thing, I remember someone telling me to make it easier to get to the higher frets... I may be looking at the wrong route though. Not sure why that would help though. It seems out of the way and my fingers have never gone in that area before on any guitar when playing.

I can take a stab at it and guess.

1. What Thunder said.

2. Just a cosmetic thing to make it look even more un-finished.

3. That area of the top is structurally weak and prone to breaking in the shop...so, Gibson cleans it up and saves those tops for BFGs.

Archived