Gibson Brands Forums

61 reissue - sg standard- whats different?

sellen

VOS versions are bevel correct, for the most part. The only problem with them, is the finish is

"supposed" to look like a well used and somewhat faded "old" but well taken care of, color...

and is, often, too "orange" or too faded, for me. I'd much prefer the deep rich red, with the VOS

beveling...AND, a optional Maestro vibrato tailpiece...without the over-inflated CS price! But, people

in Hell, want ice water, and airconditioning, too. ;>b

CB

Trading my Les Paul for a brand new Sg standard ebony. Great as the Les Paul guitar is , it doesn't get played. The guy at the store got $ sign in his eyes when i suggested a trade, and we ordered it right away[biggrin] But that's ok he is always great with prizes and service when he have done work for me, and if it's not a good one the deal is of. Looking forward to try those love/hate 490 498 pups

VOS versions are bevel correct' date=' for the most part. The only problem with them, is the finish is

"supposed" to look like a well used and somewhat faded "old" but well taken care of, color...

and is, often, [i']too[/i] "orange" or too faded, for me. I'd much prefer the deep rich red, with the VOS

beveling...AND, a optional Maestro vibrato tailpiece...without the over-inflated CS price! But, people

in Hell, want ice water, and airconditioning, too. ;>b

CB

Hey CB, need to ask a stupid question. What does VOS stand for? I am still learning some of the abbreviations and lingo.

Thanks Rewd.

^ the only thing going for the vos are the bevels...and they're just better. [thumbup]

I've never played any SG Standard or '61RI that felt or sounded as good as my VOS SG.

'61RIs don't all have one-piece bodies. I've seen several that had two-piece bodies.

^ the only thing going for the vos are the bevels...and they're just better. [biggrin]

I've never played any SG Standard or '61RI that felt or sounded as good as my VOS SG.

'61RIs don't all have one-piece bodies. I've seen several that had two-piece bodies.

well mine certainly is a one piece body[cool] Amazing sg you got :-

Yeah IMO its a waste of money for a vos' date=' the 61 reissue is a lot cheaper and is a nicer shade of red. The only thing going for the vos are the bevels.[/quote']

Well, to some of us "old geezers," the beveling IS important. It's one (cosmetic) thing we remember, and love

the most, about the originals. More important, actually, than the finish...as much as I'd like for the VOS versions

to be a bit more deep red, and less "orange-ish," in color. But, that color does vary, from guitar to guitar.

So, it is possible to get one with a bit better color, on it. The wider and deeper beveling is more comfortable

(at least, to me) to hold...and just looks Nicer, Sexier, ummmm....Better, IMHO. When the '67-'68's came out,

with the "Batwing" pickguard, they still had wider and deeper beveling, than is current, today. I have seen some

newer "Standards" that seem to be going back to a bit deeper beveling, between the horns, and the neck...just

hope the ones I saw are going to be the "norm," now...and not a fluke!

Oh, and "VOS" stands for "Vintage Original Specs."

CB

I think we need some standard termonology When I see 61 reissue, I think of the guitar that is a just a tad more expensive than the standard.. Not the VOS.. I think 61 reissue VOS when I see 61' VOS

So Im all Confused :S

I think we need some standard termonology When I see 61 reissue' date=' I think of the guitar that is a just a tad more expensive than the standard.. Not the VOS.. I think 61 reissue VOS when I see 61' VOS

So Im all Confused :S[/quote']

The '61RI is the Gibson USA guitar.

The Custom Shop VOS is referred to as the '62RI. Gibson.com just has it listed as Sg Standard VOS.

Well, what I'd like to see...is the '61 (and all other SG's) built to correct specs, for the year they're modeled on,

regardless. Having to pay CS VOS prices, for the actual correct specs, is "a bit much"...IMHO. If the CS models

want to do the relic, or faded finishes, on bodies, and hardware...fine! But the USA '61 should have the right

beveling (though it's closer, it's still not quite there), correct color AND...a Maestro option, with mimimal up charge...

like was standard, back in the day. Just my 2-cents (again), on the subject. ;>)

CB

Well got them both now. There are some small difference in workmanship. 61 sg is flawless- the standard has some minor things, nothing i care about. They have the same set up. And you hear difference in the sound. 61 sg tight and steady classy, while standard has a more bad *** sound . Off course pickups plays a major role, but i hear a different signature sound unplugged to. Love em both. Got my sg's for a while now, but one of these days im gonna get me a sg custom classic white. Man those are beautiful guitars[biggrin]

My 61 RI has a two-piece body. It took me a year to notice#-o The two halves are so well matched it's almost impossible to see the join -as if someone went to the trouble of cutting a piece of wood in two and then changed his mind and joined it all back together again.

When I finally noticed the two-piece body, I wondered what I had payed the extra money for, but it still sounds as wonderful as it did last month, so I'm over it now..... kind of :)

• 5 months later...

I just picked up a TV yellow SG, and noticed several issues. Primarily, the pickguard looks too big and overlaps the bevel on the horn and at the 3 way switch.The finish issues...... ah well. Anybody have any pictures of the way that the SG standard with Humbuckers should look. This guitar is a Custom Shop, standard SG VOS, TV yellow.

thanks,

Rick

Archived