Gibson Brands Forums

Attn:Canadian 50's Tribute Buyers

truetone6

Gibson Squire.

Hardly. Less expensive' date=' no frills model, yes. But the similarity ends there.

Fender's Squires are made in a far off land, totally removed from their US production facilities, parts, wood etc. (far removed from even their Japanese and Mexican produced lines). They share no parts, but then today I saw a Squire Stratocaster style in a store for $100. Don't think you're going to do that even with an Epiphone Les Paul.

These Studio Models don't have binding (some of the 50's Tributes give a sort of visual effect of binding with an un-stained side of the Maple Top). The logo on the head stock is silk screened instead of an inlaid veneer (so were my '67 Firebird's and '57 Les Paul Jr., two of the finest guitars I've ever owned). And the Nitro finish is much less work to apply, as it's many fewer coats. But we're still looking at Gibson quality construction by the same people in the same place. Mahogany neck and back, same set neck joining. Same Maple top. Same P-90 pups as on 4 figure guitars. Quality electrics and appointments. These are simply stripped down versions of the top end Les Pauls loved by those who hate these. And they've got a great "raw" appeal to them. If you don't like them, fine (more for the rest of us! [cool ). But they can't reasonably be compared to some cheap knock off look alike made under license with all cheap look alike parts. I have a lot of respect for Gibson for coming up with ways to make an affordable version of these great guitars.

I'm looking forward to owning one of these. Maybe two #-o .

Or' date=' save up and buy a [b']real Les Paul[/b]. You can get a used LP for the price of two of

those Gibson lites.

You have a "Real" Les Paul, do you? (Vintage 1952-1960) If so, that's Great!!

But, most of us, don't have from 30 Grand, to over a Million Dollars, to

spend on one "Real" Les Paul. So, we buy the reissues, and the "Gibson lites," as

you call them, either from financial necessity, or more often, because we really

do Like/Love those guitars, in the first place. I see no reason, to denigrate someone

elses choice, of "Les Paul," just because it isn't one "you'd" buy?

CB

You have a "Real" Les Paul, do you? (Vintage 1952-1960) If so, that's Great!!

Do I have a real Les Paul?...Yes.

Is it an original burst?...No

But its still real, with all the bells and whistles that are suppose to come with a Les Paul Standard.

Historics go for 5-6k +/- ....These Gibson Lites go for $885.....do you think there would be a difference?

My point is, if you want a Les Paul, get the real deal. Dont settle for anything less. Even if you have to

save up your money.

Did I hit a nerve Charlie 'ol pal?.....why is everbody always pickin on you?

Do I have a real Les Paul?...Yes.

Is it an original burst?...No

But its still real' date=' with all the bells and whistles that are suppose to come with a Les Paul Standard.

Did I hit a nerve Charlie 'ol pal?.....why is everbody always pickin on you?[/quote']

LOL...Nope, no nerve...we're cool. I actually was just curious, if (maybe?) you were the proud owner,

of a Vintage (to me, the "Real") Les Paul? Some of your past postings, have indicated a dislike of the less

expensive and/or less appointed models, so...I was just trying to find out, where you're coming

from, in that regard. But, if you prefer the "Bells and Whistles" Standard Reissue versions, that's cool.

We all have our preferences. I just think, for a "Studio," the new '50's Tribute models are a nice

welcomed (if limited) addition, and have their own merit's, at a equally welcomed price point.

Cheers,

CB

LOL...Nope' date=' no nerve...we're cool. I actually was just curious, if (maybe?) you were the proud owner,

of a Vintage (to me, the "Real") Les Paul? Some of your past postings, have indicated a dislike of the less

expensive and/or less appointed models, so...I was just trying to find out, where you're coming

from, in that regard. But, if you prefer the "Bells and Whistles" Standard Reissue versions, that's cool.

We all have our preferences. I just think, for a "Studio," the new '50's Tribute models are a nice

welcomed (if limited) addition, and have their own merit's, at a equally welcomed price point.

Cheers,

CB[/quote']

Its all good (sorry forum members, nothing to see here) lol

I have learned some lessons that have cost me money regarding guitars.

There IS a difference with historics over USA's. If I knew back then what I found out a

few years ago id have saved some money.

Im not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination. Im comfortable, and thats fine with me.

When I decided to buy an R9 (Thanks Tim) my wife thought I was nutso to drop that kind of cash.

In fact, I was in the dog house for a few days.

But, I figured even though ill never be a rock star, I have been playing for over 30 years and want

my dream guitar...This time I wont settle.

It was a nice chunk of money out of my bank account, but I spoiled myself.

If I could pass on what ive learned, it would be to stop buying the low end guitars, and even if you

have to save...do so! The money I have pissed away on sub-par instruments, only to fall out of love

with them quickly is staggering. If I had pooled that money together over the years, id have a few more

historics.

anyway....if you guys buy one, enjoy it. Ill shut up now. lol

Its all good (sorry forum members' date=' nothing to see here) lol

I have learned some lessons that have cost me money regarding guitars.

There IS a difference with historics over USA's. If I knew back then what I found out a

few years ago id have saved some money.

Im not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination. Im comfortable, and thats fine with me.

When I decided to buy an R9 (Thanks Tim) my wife thought I was nutso to drop that kind of cash.

In fact, I was in the dog house for a few days.

But, I figured even though ill never be a rock star, I have been playing for over 30 years and want

my dream guitar...This time I wont settle.

It was a nice chunk of money out of my bank account, but I spoiled myself.

If I could pass on what ive learned, it would be to stop buying the low end guitars, and even if you

have to save...do so! The money I have pissed away on sub-par instruments, only to fall out of love

with them quickly is staggering. If I had pooled that money together over the years, id have a few more

historics.

anyway....if you guys buy one, enjoy it. Ill shut up now. lol[/quote']

Okay, so I see we've moved beyond the "Squire" analogy. Progress.

On to "Real" Les Pauls. Had a '57 Junior years ago (yes, made in '57). To most, that wouldn't qualify as a "real" one, because it's a Jr. But it is. (Also had a '62 Stratocaster, and yes, it was a "real" one- no snob here though, I also buy modern production pieces, though preferably American- there, we've hit on my "snob" factor now).

You don't know much about me (the fun of being a newbie anywhere [biggrin] ) but if I set my sights to do what it take to acquire something, I will most likely do it.

And for the record, I bought what most would consider a "real" Les Paul last night. A mint condition used Les Paul Classic Antique. Should be here next week, and I am stoked. And no, I doubt it'll meet your mark as a "real one" either, as it isn't a "historic or better". But it's a sweet looking guitar. If I don't bond with it, I'll sell it off (I'm more a hoarder, but if we don't click, we don't click).

Back to these Les Paul Studio 50's Tributes. My desire for this one isn't lessened at all. I have no delusions about it being the equal to the historics, but I also think you are cutting it way short for what it is. It's got a very cool vibe from the pics I've seen, and from what I read about it's construction/features. Again, if it doesn't deliver in the flesh, it'll go down the road. But I actually expect it to take it's place alongside the "fully finished and appointed" Classic Antique version. Some day, maybe I'll sell them both to fund a historic (wouldn't really need to though, but how many guitars do I need? My main players are Stratocasters, and I have 3 currently).

I think I'll really like the 50's Tribute. And I think it'll inspire some sounds that others haven't (most different guitars seem to). Again, glad you're happy with yours. But I don't see the need to dis these (especially unseen and untouched).

A 'real' Les paul is always nice, but since they often sound VERY similiar to my new CS336f, I figure this P90s model is a good well-priced change of pace. Cheaper price mean cheaper build? Sure - so of course IF it was $2400 I would have gone for the Supreme or '58 VOS (or maybe the 137 custom instead)...but at $700, with US parts and labor and set-up, it does fill a need, especially for bringing on vacation, etc. where I wouldn't trust the wear and tare on one of my more expensive axes.

There is always time to get another guitar!

And the playability and tone on this is still quite sweet!

Archived