Gibson Brands Forums

1978 "The Paul" Variation?

dtbradio

About 10 years ago, I purchased what now appears to be a 1978 The Paul Standard. It was about $300 used in a local music store. The store owner wasn't sure what Gibson model it was, and didn't seem to be too willing to research it to find out. I researched it on my own after buying it and it matched up with The Paul's description. The serial number also indicates that it was a 1978 The Paul. Every single detail is correct EXCEPT the truss rod cover. It does not have "The Paul" engraved on it. The guitar appears to be correct in every other detail. Did any of The Pauls come off the line with a plain rod cover? If so, maybe I'm sitting on a REALLY rare and valuable item. If not, maybe I got a really well-done (and great-sounding) fake, or maybe someone just replaced the rod cover.

I can't take any pics to post at the moment, I have my rig set up at the venue in which I will be playing later this morning. I will try to get some pics posted later to help with the ID.

Did any of The Pauls come off the line with a plain rod cover?

I'm betting they were as consistent with "The Paul" truss rod covers as they were with everything else.

If so' date=' maybe I'm sitting on a REALLY rare and valuable item.[/quote']

Or not.

or maybe someone just replaced the rod cover.

Likely.

I was a bit off in my first post. There is one other detail that's different from the description of The Paul, and that's a pick-guard. I have no idea whether it was made with it, or someone added it. I suspect it was added. Anyway, I took some photos, so maybe someone will be able to tell me what I actually have here. Although it doesn't show very well in the photo, the back of the headstock does say Made in USA under the serial number of 72978682

paul1.jpg

paul2.jpg

paul3.jpg

paul4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly right. The general concensus of opinion is that someone added a pick-guard, and that the rod cover was replaced at some point. Every other point of the guitar matches a 1978 The Paul standard. I suppose its possible that someone ordered a custom unit, but I have no idea how someone would trace the guitar's history to find that out.

Hey, I had one of those, it is a "The Paul". That's it, that's the model. A few years after "The Paul", Firebrand was released and bore the name THE PAUL FIREBRAND, it was the same but newer and with different colors.

Your guitar's walnut body and neck, ebony fretboard and may have T-tops pickups (which them selves can worth more than $150). I sold the guitar in eBay via Auction and I sold it for $850 about 6 months ago with t-tops.

Inside control cavity should have printed numbers and the exact date of body's manufacturing date.

How can I tell which pickups I have?

I looked in the control cavity, and it was made on Oct 24. I also saw the numbers 3 and 4 stamped or printed in red. There was a hand-written "4:20" by one of the controls, as well.

There was a hand-written "4:20" by one of the controls' date=' as well. [/quote']

That was done by a pot head.

My '79 "The SG" has a "Velvet Brick" in the bridge.

It'll melt paint.

How can I tell which pickups I have?

The pickups are Dirty Fingers Humbuckers.

If you keep looking you will eventually find the correct truss rod cover.

Do you have the original case? They were quite cool.

Dirty Fingers have 12 adjustable screws.

Oh . . . they looked adjustable to me, but maybe not. The Paul that I owned (from new) was fitted with dirty fingers humbuckers, so I thought these were the same.

Here is an original The Paul from 1979 with T tops. Each pickup has 6 chromed screws and 6 tarnished polepieces - just like the ones on dtbradio's Paul. There's a rumour that some DF's did not have 12 screws per pickup. Apparently, these have 3 magnets as opposed to the usual 1. In any case, I don't recall DF's being specified for The Paul...

ThePaulTtops.jpg

Here is an original The Paul from 1979 with T tops. Each pickup has 6 chromed screws and 6 tarnished polepieces - just like the ones on dtbradio's Paul. There's a rumour that some DF's did not have 12 screws per pickup. Apparently' date=' these have 3 magnets as opposed to the usual 1. In any case, I don't recall DF's being specified for The Paul... [/quote']

I never owned one, but the Hall Groper has one. I haven't seen him around lately.

Here is an original The Paul from 1979 with T tops. Each pickup has 6 chromed screws and 6 tarnished polepieces - just like the ones on dtbradio's Paul. There's a rumour that some DF's did not have 12 screws per pickup. Apparently' date=' these have 3 magnets as opposed to the usual 1. In any case, I don't recall DF's being specified for The Paul...

[/quote']

Yes they are T tops, mine certainly had DF's when I got it new in the UK. It's long gone now, but maybe they put DF's on export models?

Archived