Gibson Brands Forums

Got my week 43 Explorer!!!

GuitarJunkie

A couple weeks ago I was told it might be next october before I got it, but there was a message last wednesday that it came in. I picked it up the next day and from the little bit that I've played it it feels fantastic. I'll need to take it to rehearsal and hear it through my regular amp to really get an idea how it sounds, but so far it seems pretty sweet. Being my first guitar with an ebony board, you can really tell the difference. Anyhow, here's a pic;

exp01.jpg

Nice, congrats. I did the exact same thing (knob change). Be warned, the tophats sit quite higher than the speed knobs (which make the guitar look like a $5 toy) and will interfere with the full range of motion of the vibrato bar. You have to turn it up rather than down to get it pointed back to put back in the case.

For the limited amount that I've played it, the factory set-up seems pretty good. My faded Les Paul Standard that I bought last spring still has the original strings on it. I haven't had to touch that thing since I bought it. I expect the Explorer to be similar.

Years ago, I worked at a music shop plus I'm a bit of a guitar whore (I'm currently at around two dozen). What that means is that I've played so many different guitars that I'm not super finicky about it being set up exactly how I'm used to. As long as it's intonated, set up for .010s, and the strings are set to a reasonable height, I'm good to go.

And as far as smell, it smells like lacquer. The shop where I bought it sells Gibson, PRS, Taylor, Martin, Suhr, and Steinway pianos. When you walk in, all you smell is wood and nitro. It's awesome.

I feel pretty much the same way. Had to turn the TR a little bit when I got mine. It was buzzing pretty bad, but it cleared right up. I haven't felt the need to mess with it beyond getting rid of the buzz. The action's high for shredding, but I like the sustain it gives both quality and amount. I don't shred anyway :)

Glad to see you got it. It is definitely a good looking guitar you got there.

I went by the Gibson store here in Nashville last night and they had it so I could see it live for the first time, they also had the original reverse v and the new one as well.

My standard explorer has not arrived yet, it should be in stock any day now.

• 7 months later...

Damn you Guitar Junkie...

I have been trying SO hard to forget about those, I really, really want one...

If there's anyone in Australia who is looking for a Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt half stack, let me know so I can buy one of these week 43 beauties (if I can find one!)

Damn you Guitar Junkie, damn you...

PS: Congratulations #-o :) :-s#-o :) :) =D>

Archived