Gibson Brands Forums

Production numbers for 1973 LP STANDARD?

bosrocker51

Hello, all. I recently bought a 1973 LP Standard on ebay - a risk, but it finally came and it is a great playing, great looking and great sounding guitar.

I have been trying to find out how many 1973 Les Paul's Gibson made, in Deluxe model and Standard model. To complicate matters, mine has a 2 piece top. I have no idea what the official production numbers are, but I know from personal experience very few were made with a 2 piece top.

Does ANYONE have any idea what the production number are? I did some digging online, and once you get past 1964 it seems hard to find production numbers. Any and all comments are welcome!

thanks

Tom Wheeler's book "American Guitars" C.1982, p. 196, lists the 1973 Standard as a "58 Reissue", and states that 4 were shipped during that year.

As for the Deluxe's shipping totals for 1973:

L5Larry - Wow, thank you so much for that info. You are the man! I looked online, multiple Google searches and could not find the info anywhere. Thanks for your comment and for being part of the "Guitar Brain Trust!"

I REALLY appreciate your reply. I had NO idea so few 73 Standards were shipped! Dang! It really is a beautiful axe, with birdseye maple and nice grain on the top. Again, thanks, I am indebted to you...

Tom Wheeler's book "American Guitars" C.1982' date=' p. 196, lists the 1973 Standard as a "58 Reissue", and states that 4 were shipped during that year.

10,482[/quote']

What makes you think it's a '73 Standard other than info on ebay? Does it have factory humbucker routes? A '73 '58 as the other poster references were made with P90s.

"Standards" with humbuckers before '75 were special ordered through the factory. Pictures of the back of the headstock, routes and control cavity would be nice!

While I don't want to hijack this thread, I figured that I'd post a picture of the pickup routs on my '74 LP Std. Despite the edge of the body/neck area, I believe that these are factory routs. I believe this because the glossy lacquer covers the whole bottom of the rout areas. If it was enlarged after leaving the factory, this would not be the case. Comments? It would also be nice to know the approximate numbers of '74 Std's produced. Mine does have a mahogany neck, as you can probably see. LP_Tenon.jpg

LP_Bridge_Rout.JPG

To quote myself....

Tom Wheeler's book "American Guitars" C.1982' date=' p. 196, lists the 1973 Standard as a "58 Reissue", and states that 4 were shipped during that year.[/quote']

This book lists the the '71-'75 LP Standard as a "58 Reissue", with the regular production model re-entering the catalog in 1975. Contrary to a statement above, a "58 reissue" Standard would be a humbucker guitar, since the P-90's were replaced by humbuckers on the LP Standard and Custom in 1957.

There is a "Standard" listed for the years '68, '69, & '70, and that era model is probably the P-90 equipped guitar that has been mentioned.

The published shipping totals or the '71-'75 "58 Reissue" are:

1971 - 25

1972 - 1046

1973 - 4

1974 - 1

1975 - 1

These numbers represent when they were SHIPPED, not when they were made.

Tom Wheeler's book "American Guitars" C.1982' date=' p. 196, lists the 1973 Standard as a "58 Reissue", and states that 4 were shipped during that year.

10,482[/quote']

I just bought one of those books over Ebay and should be getting it over the next couple of weeks. It sounds like it has some handy information in it.

The odds seem pretty slim that mine is the single L.P. Std. shipped in '74, or that the topic starter's '73 was one of four. It's more likely that they went out as "Deluxe"s in the books, but with full-sized humbucker modification. Yes?

Is there any way to ascertain the approximate age of a truss-rod cover, perhaps by the type and size of the "Standard" script, or are there so many good copies that it's a waste of time trying. Thanks ahead of time.

• 1 month later...

When I get around to changing the strings I'll maybe pull the pickups and take pics of the cavities. The pot codes are 13773XX - I forget the week, maybe 34.

SN is 101XXX - this is from memory - the guitar is back at the ranch and I'm on the road. will catch up with you later

I just bought one of those books over Ebay and should be getting it over the next couple of weeks. It sounds like it has some handy information in it.

The odds seem pretty slim that mine is the single L.P. Std. shipped in '74, or that the topic starter's '73 was one of four. It's more likely that they went out as "Deluxe"s in the books, but with full-sized humbucker modification. Yes?

Is there any way to ascertain the approximate age of a truss-rod cover, perhaps by the type and size of the "Standard" script, or are there so many good copies that it's a waste of time trying. Thanks ahead of time.

Oh, my dear MrRoundel... slim odds or not, if your axe has 1974 pots, it's probably the sole 74 Standard. Also, thanks for posting pics of your pickup cavities. They look like factory routs. The guitar is not so valuable that anyone would bother counterfeiting the routs, compared to, say, a 1956 Strat, which could have questionable origin.

Mine is a 2 piece top. Routs look correct and original for a Standard. Repeat, mine has a 2 piece top, not a 3 piece like the typical Deluxe Gibson released. It features Dark tobacco burst and DARK knobs, not the light colored ones. NOT a Deluxe, modded with buckers pre or post production. I know the Deluxe well, and post=production routs look different from stock routs. One of my fave guitars is a 73 Deluxe in cherry burst. I love it. The 1973 Std is the only LP Standard I own. Pot codes are 13773XX. It's a 73, baby! It's a Standard!

The truss rod cover says Standard with the correct style and font. I don't know the font name, not a block style - a script style. The 1973 Standards had a semi-largish typeface and script. Later Standards had a different font. You can research and verify online. Check ebay for standards and see if your truss rod cover matches the one they say is original. I've been around Les Pauls since the 1970's.

I have absolutely no doubt this is a correct 73 Standard, '58 Reissue.

• 2 months later...

What makes you think it's a '73 Standard other than info on ebay? Does it have factory humbucker routes? A '73 '58 as the other poster references were made with P90s.

"Standards" with humbuckers before '75 were special ordered through the factory. Pictures of the back of the headstock, routes and control cavity would be nice!

Sorry, but I really hate taking guitars apart. This basically has a Deluxe body & neck, but the finish, 2 pice top and dark knobs are truly distinctive. When I wear the strings out and change them & the annoying Shaller tuners I'll take pics of the pickup and control cavities. Be patient, I don't cut strings off a guitar lightly. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='leehook'

Here another 73' Standard. The top is in three pieces.

Wow - thanks so much for posting! Except for the knobs and 3 piece top it looks like mine. Let me hypothesize yours is a 1973 LP Std, while mine is a 73 Std, 58 Reissue, due to the two piece v. three piece top on the guitars. Probably both have T-top pups, tho.

Wow - thanks so much for posting! Except for the knobs and 3 piece top it looks like mine.

Hi! These guitars still exist,and there is "standard", mark on trussrod cover. This mean that people who ordered those instruments knews exatly what they wanted. Same obviously from Gibson factory in Kalamazoo who leaved an open door for this kind of "out of the line" guitars. [woot]

• 2 years later...

Pot codes are 13773xx. Without a doubt it is a1973. Whether it is a 58 Reissue I cannot say. It does have vey dark knobs which seem stock, and puts it into a special category, in my opinion. It is also a two piece top, like a vintage 1958 LP Standard. Two other allegedly 73 Standards I have seen on eBay had 3 piece tops like a Deluxe. If Gibson kept better records it really would have helped. On another forum, somebody posted that a Gibson employee supposedly said 25-30 L.P Standards were custom ordered in 1973.

Yes, it has factory routes and the soldering has never been ****ed with, IMO.

Archived