Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Standard or TV?

Scott.matthewson

Had a play of a J-45 this weekend (standard sitka over mahogany) and it felt like the easiest playing guitar I have ever held. The owner had had a set-up done but nothing else. So it was just a standard J-45 with mahogany back & sides. I have looked at the web to see the specs - and see that it is a short-scale and (ever-so-slightly) wider nut than the average Martin (but narrower than my old Taylor). Could that be why it was so lovely? And why have I turned my back on mahogany all these years?

So, tell me, what is it that is so wonderful about this guitar that I cannot quite put my finger on?

I'm going to have to investigate getting one. The owner told me that the 'true vintage' is even better - no stores have one near me, though. I know what the differences are in terms of specs - but has anyone ABd them?

Scott

My J-45 TV gave me the same experience - so enjoyable and easy to play. This is the only J-45 I've ever played, so I can't answer your question!

I think people generally feel that the TV is 'better', but you can probably get a Standard that sounds as good if you're lucky.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the forum [biggrin]

I just got a standard, my third one (shown at left), that sounds absolutely HUGE... big, rich sound and very lively. The bass on this one shakes the room (almost). Anyway, the post above is correct... if you find the right one, the standards can be quite good. I played many before getting this one. I don't think I'll ever sell this one.

The J45 mistique is amazing... can't quite put my finger on it either... just something about the sound and vibe of that model that is very compelling.

RB

Yeah from here http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/buy/Gibson/J-45_True_Vintage_Acoustic_Guitar

Never been there - I live in Yorkshire so ordered it online but ended up with a great guitar. They didn't have any in stock so I had to wait, which in hindsight was a good thing, because it was made especially for me and wasn't hanging around in their shop being played by loads of people.

Customer service from Bonners wasn't great - didn't keep me up to date with the progress very well - but in the end I got the guitar at a good price. This was before the recent price rise, and the TV was only £200 more than the standard!!

They also offer 12 months interest free credit, which is a bonus if you want to do that.

It's not that I have turned my back on mahogany, but I simply got "stuck" with rosewood on my J-45.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

Hi Scott,

With regard to getting a j-45 in the UK, the store I would most likely look at is

Coda- Music in Stevenage. (I am not affiliated in anyway)

I have found their pricing to be very good, they often have a great second hand list, and from my past experiencegood service.

You will be familiar with Denmark St, off Charring Cross Rd. Lots of stuff there but top price asked!

Gibson in the UK is becoming rare. I think mainly becaue of Gibson's bizzare dealership demands.

However, If you are prepared to try - I have many times - look to the USA - Elderly Instruments (Used Gibson only) and Fullers Guitars, also Sweetwater. Their stock is huge, some are priced very well indeed.

If you went this route, there would be duty, vat, and shipping on top. Plus poor exchange rate

BUT...it still may not cost you more than here.

I'm fortunate to have a 1997 Taylor 714, a 2008 Martin HD-28, and a 2008 J-45 standard. I've had the Martin since 2/09 and the J-45 since 2/2010. The J-45 has become my favorite all-around guitar. They all play great, but I find the J-45 a little easier to play with a pick and fingerstyle. The neck width is perfect for me, and the shorter scale also seems better for me. While I like the Martin RW sound a little better strummed, the mahogany J-45 sounds better to me fingerpicked. If I had to pick one guitar, and the other 2 had to go, I'd keep the J-45---and if you knew how much I liked the HD-28 and the Taylor, you'd know that was saying something. Can't go wrong with a good J-45.

J-45 Standard or TV?

Yes!

On a few occasions, I've had the chance to play some of each. Sometimes the TV model comes out on top, other times its one of the Standards that sounds the best. It really depends on the individual guitar.

As long as the particular guitar itself sounds great to you, either model will do.

All the best,

Guth

The 05 45 I used to own could go toe to toe with most Guitars out there. I've played some 09 Standard 45's in recent weeks that were just killer. The preference could boil down to the Standard's Sitka tone vs the Red Spruce on the TV.

Hard to go wrong with either one!

Here is a picture of my 2010 J-45TV. It's a tone MONSTER for sure...love it!

It came with a really rough V.O.S. finish but I buffed it out a bit and am happy with the results.

IMG_1446.jpg

Looks beautiful. Where did you get the firestripe guard.

Red 333

Here is a picture of my 2010 J-45TV. It's a tone MONSTER for sure...love it!

It came with a really rough V.O.S. finish but I buffed it out a bit and am happy with the results.

IMG_1446.jpg

Looks beautiful. Where did you get the firestripe guard?

Red 333

• 1 month later...

It's not that I have turned my back on mahogany, but I simply got "stuck" with rosewood on my J-45.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

This guy just keeps wondering how much difference there is between the two. Would love to blind-test.

One of those cant go wrong kind of choices. The TV I had my hands on was a bit bassier and more resoundin' that the the stds in that store. It would shine for bluegrass or for a solo player that wants a big sound. Stds Ive tried were a bit more jangley. Holly. Lightnin Hopkins. Early Dylan. Not that they wouldnt overlap, but that's how I heard it.

While I have never played the J-45 TV next to a standard, I do agree with the fellow that commented it depends on the guitar. I have a 2007 J-45 TV and I was in Colorado a few months back at a store and I played the new John Hiatt J-45... it did not sound good, very flat & dull sounding. I was expecting to hear at least something like my J-45 since the John Hiatt and my guitar both have sitka tops. Hanging next to the John Hiatt J-45 was a new Brad Paisley J-45. I took that down and there was that beautiful sound I get out of my J-45 TV. So you have to play each one, if you can. I got lucky, I bought mine off eBay and it came to me in near mint condition and sounded like a dream, and all for $1860.00! Even the case was untouched!

Recently when i was in Thomann music in Germany I played around 15 Gibsons as I was looking for a gig companion to my CW.

From all the ones i tested the overall best tone was a J-45TV. As described it was an absolute tone monster. Had a growl on it like you would not believe. It was really dificult to put down but i did as i knew this was not the guitar i needed right now. Luckily i did find the perfect guitar that i do need and it sounded awesome, which was the SWD.

The other J-45's include John Hiatt and standard sounded fine but a little too clean compared to the J-45TV which has some serious attitude, and I love'd it !

"the overall "best" tone was a J-45TV ..Had a growl on it like you would not believe. The other J-45's ..sounded fine but a little too clean". Note EA's selling point here was the (low end?) growl). That will work for some folks but if you are doing blues, rags or old fashioned picking, that might not be a plus! Such folks might prefer the "clean" sound. Why it's important to factor in your one playing style.

Thats a very good point, and actually the reason why i bought the SWD as it is a more balanced guitar overall. While I loved the growl of the J-45TV it wouldnt be as flexible as the SWD. Of course, if i had money to burn i would get the J-45TV just for the hell of it :-)

"the overall "best" tone was a J-45TV ..Had a growl on it like you would not believe. The other J-45's ..sounded fine but a little too clean". Note EA's selling point here was the (low end?) growl). That will work for some folks but if you are doing blues, rags or old fashioned picking, that might notbe a plus! Such folks might prefer the "clean" sound. Why it's important to factor in your one playing style.

Archived