Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge problem on maestro

kdelitto

Okay so I recently began repainting a gibson maestro I had gotten as one of my very first guitars. The neck had broken so I bought a replacement off ebay which fit perfectly! Paint job finished all hardware back in lacquer cured nothing terrible happened. I thought it was going all to easy and then I went to put on my strings today. The bridge is too low and the strings are hitting the very edge of the high frets around the 15th. So its buzzing and driving me insane. Can someone please help me out I am kinda in a panic because i dont want to have to repaint EVERYTHING. Does anyone think putting a tuneomatic bridge in will help? or what should I do...as I said I am kinda panicking so any help would be so awesome

Too bad you didn't do the fit and setup before the paint. When bolting on new necks, the fit can change the height difference between the neck and body, as well as the angle between the neck and the guitar top.

If you've run out of adjustment with your bridge posts, you'll need to adjust the neck set. To set it correctly, you need to determine if the neck is sitting to high or if the angle is off. You can adjust it by shaving or sanding down the heel of the neck (that fits in the body route). Judging from what you've written, you should take it to a shop and have them set it up for you.

You can just shim the neck, no need for any shaving. If you have the bridge about as high as it is intended to go and still have buzzing you should

put a shim at the upper screws. Just back the screws out some and stick a piece of something in there and tighten them back up.

Archived