Gibson Brands Forums

what are the techniques i have to know in order to play punk rock and pop punk

Basel

I am just starting to play guitar but i only have one problem which is that i can't find a good teacher. so i am going to try to learn guitar off the internet. So i wanted to know what techniques do i have to know in order to be able to play punk rock and pop punk.

Thank you[biggrin] [laugh][biggrin]

I am just starting to play guitar but i only have one problem which is that i can't find a good teacher. so i am going to try to learn guitar off the internet. So i wanted to know what techniques do i have to know in order to be able to play punk rock and pop punk.

Thank you[biggrin] [laugh][biggrin]

Barre chords, especially power fifths because without the third in your chords you can go between major and minor keys with ease. Most important thing to work on is your picking hand. Fast, tight, and in time downstrokes will be your biggest ally.

As you progress I hope you will look beyond I - IV - V power fifth stuff and at least get into playing punk's predecessors like surf and rock-a-billy.

Learn to listen and figure stuff out.

Once you've got the hang of power chords you can start to listen and 'find' the song on the fretboard.

Learning by ear is a great start. Tab is good, but the more you work stuff out (transcribe) for yourself, (I find) the easier it is to remember songs and it gets easier as you go.

Greenday's 'Dookie' is a great album to start on. Strong songs and pretty easy to pick up.

You probably only need to learn power chords. But have you looked at the Rock house method dvds?

I do not have time because of my job to have lessons (most of my free time is 9pm-midnight). So I picked up the Rock House Learn Rock Guitar: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced dvds, because I figured I had nothing to lose other than the 39.99 I spent on them:

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-House-Learn-Guitar-Intermediate/dp/B001STRN0M

I tried books before this and felt uncertain as to if I was sounding right. With the dvds though, I know how I should sound and seeing some one do the stuff helps me pick out errors I am making. He presents the lessons well. The beginner disc covers:

major open chords

intro to tabs

power chords

bending

simple and complex blues lead and rhythm

hammer and pull up

a rock lead and rhythm

a minor pentatonic scales and variations of them

4 or 5 simple rock riffs (crazy train, blink 182's dammit, one from Cream, and one from the doors)

There are pdf files on the disc that you can open in a pc or print. This is the "books" he mentions. There is a typo I found, he once said to repeat a measure for the blue lead so many times but the pdf was laking it.

Also, one can download metronome software, backing tracks, and tuning software from their site, after registering with the code in the dvd case.

Overall, I am impressed with the DVDs, and lending those to my dad and brother at some point.

Archived