Gibson Brands Forums

Need some repair help here!

JThunderz

Okay, long story short, my guitar took a pretty vicious nose-dive the other day. I was using it, then took my left hand off of her to adjust the amp and the strap gave way; The headstock smacked down first, slightly bending a tuning key and running a tiny "w" shaped hairline crack along the back of the headstock. Then I noticed that the bridge PU had popped out and was only being held in place by the strings. So here's where I need help:

1.) The hairline crack- it's actually pretty slight, and very hard to see, but you can feel that it's raised just a little bit on the top... should I take it in to get it reinforced, or just wait and see if it gets worse? I've heard that some techs just go ahead and break it off so they can put it back together perfectly aligned and strong as ever- but I don't wanna go that route...

2.) The pickup- I have a BFG so the neck PU is a soap bar P90. I de-stringed my guitar and looked at the back of the PU- the mounting posts had come loose; easy enough, I just took them off and placed them back in the holes and pounded em back in with the platic handle of my screwdriver. As soon as I restringed her, the PU popped right back out. Apparently the holes that the nut-half of the mounting posts are located in are now too loose to hold em properly- So what should I do? Superglue? Wood glue? Just take out the PU?

Sorry, I have no digital camera, so I can't post any flicks for reference. But hopefully somebody out there can help?

Thanks guys!

Guest BentonC

1- most luthiers will most likely want to complete the break so they can repair the damage properly. I haven't heard of any reliable ways to repair a crack without having sufficient material between the crack to work with. Maybe some more accomplished repair folks could chime in with some creative insight.

2- Is there a better way to describe exactly what part is not working to hold the pickup in? Is the screw hole stripped out? Sorry, but I'm not quite sure I understand the exact problem there...

Johnny, you gotta get straplocks -- first things first, so this never happens again.

So does it stay in tune? If so it may be a surface crack. If it doesn't stay in tune, a luthier may need to fix it (which will cost $200, maybe more).

Johnny' date=' you gotta get straplocks -- first things first, so this never happens again.

So does it stay in tune? If so it may be a surface crack. If it doesn't stay in tune, a luthier may need to fix it (which will cost $200, maybe more).[/quote']

+100%

Its amazing that someone would own a Les Paul and not have strap locks! ;)

Its the first thought I have whenever I get a new guitar. I won't play one standing without them. [biggrin]

Sage advice. Get straplocks.

I had both my Gibsons detach from the strap at the heel in one day. Scared the s**t out of me. Especially the new re-issue. It was about a week old at the time.

All my guitars have locks now. Any new ones will too.

Dave

That's a bummer about your neck. You are not the first one that this has happened to. Some dude named Ed, who has the last name of a city in Italy, has posted tirades about this not uncommon enough occurrence. The heavier they are, the harder they fall. And, if you put heavy strings on your guitars (11's), you're probably making a headstock/neck break more likely from even a lesser trauma. (I'm guessing here.)

When I bought my LP a few weeks ago, it already had the Schaller straplock buttons installed. Since all of my straps are equipped with Schaller straplocks, they slid right on. So, another +1 to strap locks. I even use them on my 7 lb guitars, just to be safe. That I'd use them on my 9+ pounders is a given. Good luck with your repair.

Thanks for the help guys. It's funny, I've played guitar for about 15 years and this is the first time my strap failed me- and it's also the first time I've had straplocks! (Actually I've got "Straplok"s- they're Jim Duncan) I'm always very thorough about making sure they're pushed all the way down; I think the mechanism failed/ the button stayed recessed and that's why it dropped....maybe it was my fault, but I'm %99.99999 sure I did everything I was supposed to. (besides double-check- so in the end it IS still my fault..)

Back in the day I used to just take off the strap buttons and put a washer under it with the strap on for the permanent-strap effect. I used to play too many house parties and rowdy punkrock shows with belligerently drunk people/kids stage-diving or singing along. I think I might go back to that style. I'm cursing my straploks right now...

Send it HERE

Thank you- I'll look into it. Although I'm kinda scared to send my guitar anywhere. It's not that I can't trust techs/luthiers I've never met- on the strength of a reccomendation from someone who's opinion I respect (like yours) I can- I'm just insecure putting my baby in the hands of UPS or Fedex.

Plus I live in NYC, we have some of the finest luthiers in the world here.

But I'm def going to look into it.

Depending on the size of the hairline, you might be able to worked some thinned down glue into the crack and clamped it until the glue dries. I have a similar problem with my '73 Custom and that is the repair method being pursued at this time.

Depending on the size of the hairline' date=' you might be able to worked some thinned down glue into the crack and clamped it until the glue dries. I have a similar problem with my '73 Custom and that is the repair method being pursued at this time.[/quote']

oooff...73 Custom?

I know THAT hurts.

Archived