Gibson Brands Forums

Distortion Issue

Les Paul Fanatic

Hey guys while I know that this issue is not meant to be in brought up in this forum you guys are the only ones I trust enough for advice. I have a Digitech death metal distortion that I used to swear by but now oddly enough it seems to have too much saturation to it and my tone is just too blegh when I do use the digitech. Advice, anyone.

(Qualifying that I'm not a metal guy, but...) Pedals can be really picky. Have you changed anything? The order of the signal chain (placing a different pedal in front of or behind this one)? Changed cables? Tried it by itself? Or with a different wall wart (or as suggested above with batteries)? If your results are the same even accounting for the above, then we've got to presume it is the pedal itself that has changed. And that does happen. If you liked the sound, you may want to try another of the same pedal (I've heard of pros actually buying up many examples of the same pedal and trying each to "cherry pick" which ones they wanted, then getting rid of the rest, as the same pedal can even vary, though this may be more true of the old style analog pedals I am more drawn to).

I'm running two digitech products one pedal and one modeling system. My chain used to go RP55, death metal, a washburn soloist distortion, an ibanez cp9 compressor, and a Dunlop crybaby from hell. Now my chain goes comp. soloist, death metal RP55, and the wah oh and I will occasionally run a heil sound ht-1 talk box in the mix when and if I need it. Due to the muddiness of the digitech I mostly use the washburn now to better avail. As for

cables monster s-100 patch cables and s-100 instrument cables with two s-100 speaker cables when the talk box comes

into play. The battery thing I used those one I first got the pedal. I think it maybe where it lies in the chain, I might try and move it between the rp55 and the wah and see what happens then.

...but now oddly enough it seems to have too much saturation to it and my tone is just too blegh when I do use the digitech. Advice' date=' anyone...[/quote']

Relax! : You are just in that stage known by all of us old folk as "Growing Up"...

Deep Breaths...and turn DOWN the 'Gain'...

:- stirthepot.gif

J/K.

Good luck with the suggested remedies.

I understand that it may not be possible, given your 'chain', but is it at all possible to plug everything into 'mains' rather than 'battery/cell' to see if that makes a difference?

:-

Relax! : You are just in that stage known by all of us old folk as "Growing Up"...

Deep Breaths...and turn DOWN the 'Gain'...

[biggrin]stirthepot.gif

J/K.

Good luck with the suggested remedies.

lol!...I was addicted to gain too when I was younger. I think perhaps we all were.

I'm coming out of the heavy gain stuff also, hence my huge collection of OD pedals. I never really got into the metal zones or blazing distortion, but when I finally realized that the key to my favorite player's tone was the volume, not the distortion that cleared things up for me.

J

Archived