Gibson Brands Forums

Help with a LP Studio

grudeinmn

Hello folks. New to the forums here, but what better place to ask a question about my les paul? I purchased this guitar back in 2000, and in all honesty I purchased it on eBay and this one in particular because the guy selling it was only 50 miles from me and I was excited to get one and pick it up the same day. Even though it's an awesome instrument, my apartment living forces me to play more acoustic guitar than anything so most of the time I've owned it, it's been in the case.

A few months ago I noticed a guitar on craigslist locally that is almost identical to mine and there were a few things about his posting that made me have questions about my guitar. Here is what this guy said about his LP for sale

"Im selling my 1995 Gibson Les Paul studio limited edition 1/50 Ferrari Red collector (made in the USA).

This guitar is very rare. there were only 50 made total in the Ferrari red color release. Gibson released 50 of them to 50 guitar center stores in 1995. i had reserved this guitar in 1994 when the model was first mentioned. This is also the ONLY Les Paul made with the color matched headstock."

Below are pictures of *MY* studio, not the one for sale on craigslist. Mine looks identical to his description and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about these.

http://www.beyouonline.com/lp1.jpg

http://www.beyouonline.com/lp2.jpg

http://www.beyouonline.com/lp3.jpg

http://www.beyouonline.com/lp4.jpg

As you can see, mine also has a color matched headstock. The serial number is 91375309. Anyone know if its true that only 50 of these were made and they're the only LP with a color matched headstock? I'm not looking to sell the guitar, I'd just like to know if it really is that rare.

Thank you

Chris

Rochester, Minnesota

Don't know the answer to your question, hopefully someone else does. But as to apartments/playing, get yourself some sort of headphone amp! Seriously, you can play all you want, some sound pretty decent.

Sorry, can't help you here; BUT I did notice your guitar has "limited edition" on the back of the headstock; that's a good sign. (I think)

All in All, it doesn't matter if it's ferrari or not- that looks like an AWESOME guitar. How does she sound?

It sounds f'n fantastic. The rare occasion I take it out for a test drive, I play it very loud. A friend of mine had a full stack and I used to go over there and it was insane. His Ibanez sounded like a toy through that stack once I plugged in the paul. I've got a large 2x12 peavey, but I only turn it up when I'm drunk and don't mind the neighbors pounding on the door. The pickups on the studios are the same set they use in the customs. The guitar is a bit heavy (didn't weigh it) but when it hangs from your neck for a couple hours you know it. I've got dunlop straplocks on it and the case is all black with the satin guitar cover. I was thrilled to buy it. I paid 750 bucks and zero shipping because the guy with the auction was close to home so I drove and got it that day. It's been a wonderful guitar for me, and it would sure be something if it ended up being X of 50 made ever.

Chris

Rochester, Minnesota

Anyone know if its true that only 50 of these were made and they're the only LP with a color matched headstock?

All black Les Pauls have a matching headstock. Just sayin' [cool]

As do the 50th anniversary '57 reissues (gold).

I'm sure there's truth to what he's saying but don't fool yourself into believing it's actually rare. I'm not trying to rip or bash on your guitar here but people have this misconception that Les Pauls are rare - they are not. You have a regular LP Studio that's just painted a different colour; so what? Know what I mean? Gibson makes thousands of Studios and just because a few of them may have a different finish' date=' it doesn't make them rare. If anything, your finish will make your guitar worth an extra $50 - $100 over a regular Studio...or it may have the opposite affect. Some people may not even want that colour and you may have a hard time finding a buyer, which means you may have to eventually lower your price below that of a regular Studio.

Nice guitar you have there. Don't treat it like a closet queen and enjoy it for what it is - a Gibson Les Paul. I play my LPs all the time and often even without an amp; you should try it. [biggrin

Thanks for the comments on this. As I had mentioned, I have no intention on selling the guitar. It's more just for my own knowledge. If there are only 50 that are painted like mine, then it makes it more unique. Maybe some people like the color, maybe some do not, but it's not the stock wine red, black, or white that 99% of the studios are. For a guitar that is stripped down (no binding, plain top, no fancy headstock inlay, small fret inlays) it is one of the few things that could make it more non-mainstream right from the production floor. I'm not really worried about what I can get for resale, I just enjoy having something that is not really the 'norm' even if it is just the paint scheme. The red headstock is sharp! :-

I've got an old beat up Alvarez acoustic/electric that I play with at home, because I don't mind if it sits out of the case and may get banged around a bit. But the Les Paul gets treated really nice. A proper wipe down and put back into the case after use. It might not be a high dollar vintage guitar, but it's my part of the Les Paul legend.

Side point - I was recently at the R'n'R hall of fame in Cleveland and the Les Paul tribute they have there is really cool.

-Chris

Rochester, Minnesota

Guest rogerb

Send some pictures to service@gibson.com and let us take a look. Also, recheck your serial number for accuracy, the serial number you listed did not come up in the Gibson data base as a Les Paul Studio.

Archived