Gibson Brands Forums

What is special about the gibson sg that other guitars dont have

blambo1223

it have it's own signature sound. It have a look and sound that suit many kind of music and style. Other guitar brand have of course this, but they don't have the tradition, mojo or devilish good look as the sg. Good luck with your choice

I have a faded and like it way more than a strat design or a LP design both of wich are way heavier and I think feel less comfy. I am so happy i bought mine in 03'. its loud, smooth and full of groove. You wont be sorry no matter which model SG you buy I promise! :) [thumbup]

I like SG´s as they are lighter than Les Pauls and have a little better access to the upper frets. Don´t get me wrong, I love my Les Paul and it´s my main guitar but I miss the faded SG I sold. :)

so' date=' just out of curiosity, do the faded SG models have the same smoothness as the Faded Les Paul Studio model or is it more of a grainy feel?[/quote']

You have to try several SG's out and find out for yourself. Also different models have different type necks and and there are an array of pickups available depending on the model. You may even find out that 2 or 3 of the same model feels different. Go to a dealer with alot of SG's and try them all out and drive the salesmen crazy. It's the only way to find one that feels right to you. This is true even with Les Paul models. Happy Hunting! Hope you find one that really rocks your world.

Rewd.

yes the finish is just like a faded LP. I got to pick mine out of a litter of 8 other fadeds. I picked them up played a bit and knew which one was coming home. even tho they were the same model they all had subtle differences. Take your time, shop around and buy whats rite for you.

Play one. Our opinions are just that...opinions, based on our experiences, and personal preferences.

SG's are terrific...IMHO. But, even so...they are not the "end all, or be all," of guitars. Just another

look, feel, and tone. So...play as many versions as you can, and compare them to others. See what

"speaks" to you!

CB

Aside from devilish good looks (on the proper models, of course), the SG to me shares the same kind of underdog kicka$$edness that the F-brand "Telecaster" possesses: they feel great (plus for those of us with A) small hands and B) the desire to effectively and efficiently reach the last several frets in an active PERFORMANCE the fret access on SG's is unmatched), and in most cases with the twist of a tone knob they can get "close enough" to the sounds of their more-publicized sisters (the Strat/LP respectively) so that you don't really NEED any other guitars. [biggrin]

And I also must say that in MOST cases, I use some of my SG's modded with coil-taps and I can even get "close enough" to those "F-brand" sounds too, and nothing but my little horned minions are onstage.

H-Bomb

Play one. Our opinions are just that...opinions' date=' based on our experiences, and personal preferences.

SG's are terrific...IMHO. But, even so...they are not the "end all, or be all," of guitars. Just another

look, feel, and tone. So...play as many versions as you can, and compare them to others. See what

"speaks" to you!

CB[/quote']

opinions are like a$$ holes everybodys got one......unless you glued it shut i cant help you there

Archived